Board index Peugeot RCZ RCZ Tuning & Modifying Forum Turbo Upgrade or supercharger?

Turbo Upgrade or supercharger?

Remaps, Bodykits, Alloys, Springs, In Car Entertainment

Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:32 am
Pseud0nym Regular
Regular

Kudos: 0
So I have a 15 plate RCZ THP200 and I was wondering what serious performance upgrades are available (if any) so a replacement or additional Turbocharger or a Supercharger etc? I am not mechanically minded so you will have to excuse me if this is a stupid question.

Cheers

Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:15 pm
ONLY AEK User avatar

Kudos: 59
what is your goal?

you have a good size turbo under the hood and it can easily reach 240ps
thp 156 with 268hp!!!!!!!!

Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:30 pm
RCZIain Moderator

Kudos: 197
I think, although I may be wrong.
The non R models will only take about 240 ish anyway due to non forged and uprated internals.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk
Sandra, 2011 200 GT. Shark grey, Ulter Quad exhaust, Vision pack, jbl and Nav.

Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:44 pm
Pseud0nym Regular
Regular

RCZIain wrote:
The non R models will only take about 240 ish anyway due to non forged and uprated internals.

Well that's definitely worth considering.....

my goal really is how fast can I make vs how much is it going to cost.

Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:24 pm
ONLY AEK User avatar

RCZIain wrote:

I think we have made this conversation again

Just take a look in my picture or my signature

Also i said for 240...

Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:46 pm
renegade79 User avatar

Kudos: 372
Pseud0nym wrote:
So I have a 15 plate RCZ THP200 and I was wondering what serious performance upgrades are available (if any) so a replacement or additional Turbocharger or a Supercharger etc? I am not mechanically minded so you will have to excuse me if this is a stupid question.

Cheers

There’s a fella on the 208 ownersclub website who has designed and manufactured a custom built air intake for the thp200 engine which has been getting rave reviews. Just google TMSR induction. Not sure what the gains are..
308GTi THP270 in magnetic blue

RCZ gone but not forgotten

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:41 am
Pseud0nym Regular
Regular

That looks sweet but due to my lack of experience in such things I have to look for vehicle specific products or things within the range of what can be undertaken at my local garages :( I was thinking along the lines of a bolt on supercharger or larger turbo but I haven't owned a pug for over 15 years and RCZ tuning options appear to be quite limited.

From what I can gather it shares a lot of components with different models so I am probably best trying to find out what those components and models are and looking for any compatible products that way to expand my options,

Don't suppose such a list would exist somewhere around here ?

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:15 am
RCZIain Moderator

Kudos: 197
It's a joint PSA Peugeot Citroen/BMW engine.
There are quite a few cars the engine is in. 508, 308, 208, other PSA Peugeot Citroen cars, MINI, various BMWs.
Sandra, 2011 200 GT. Shark grey, Ulter Quad exhaust, Vision pack, jbl and Nav.

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:15 pm
tianorth User avatar

Kudos: 367
Saw on wheeler dealers (latest series) a mini R40?!? which has a supercharger.

If bmw has put it onto the same engine as the RCZ's the all the hard work has been done
Tia2 is a 2013 RCZ Magnetic in Black with a 2litre diesel engine
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights, quad exhaust tips
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights
Both have dash cams front and back

Post Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:59 pm
drdino Senior Member

Kudos: 15
^It's a different engine. Anyway, the RCZ engine is already turbocharged, are you actually considering ditching the turbo and fitting a supercharger? If so, why?

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:58 am
Pseud0nym Regular
Regular

drdino wrote:
^It's a different engine. Anyway, the RCZ engine is already turbocharged, are you actually considering ditching the turbo and fitting a supercharger? If so, why?

I wouldn't be ditching the turbo, I would be supplementing it. You can have both a supercharged and turbocharged engine, its just a matter of fitting it all into the engine bay lol

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:05 am
ONLY AEK User avatar

i will ask you again

what is your goal?
do you want 400ps?
or its all about tuning?

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:32 am
Pseud0nym Regular
Regular

ONLY AEK wrote:
i will ask you again

what is your goal?
do you want 400ps?
or its all about tuning?

And with the greatest respect, I will respond again, to make it as quick as possible without giving my wife any grounds for divorce (shes already upset i've taken my wedding off and used it for a key ring).

This is my plan.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12423

I already have some items in the works and I am currently planning a big August upgrade but they are more handling and visual upgrades, bhp wise I am probably looking somewhere between 230-250bhp but I would prefer to get it over 300 if possible

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:44 am
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 527
Looks like you should have bought an R instead if bhp is your outright goal but just a thought have you looked into a nitrous kit? Not sure if it’s ever been done on a RCZ before but the instant power would be phenomenal :eusa-think:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:59 am
Pseud0nym Regular
Regular

neilgsxr69 wrote:
Looks like you should have bought an R instead if bhp is your outright goal but just a thought have you looked into a nitrous kit? Not sure if it’s ever been done on a RCZ before but the instant power would be phenomenal :eusa-think:

I did look at an R but I bought this to run up to Manchester once or twice a week for work so mileage was important, I got mine on a 15 plate with 15000 miles for just over 12k. R's around the 12-15k mark where 30000 miles+ besides people expect R's to be fast, you have to let them have a little hope before you can snatch it away from them lol

No but seriously I got this at a great price, 1 owner, FSH and mint condition and I love the cream interior, all the other ones I looked at had the black with either red or black stitching so this one just jumped out at me.. although I did have to drive all the way down to Swindon to collect it :shock:

..... I cant be trusted with nitrous lmao

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:18 am
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 527
Yes totally agree with the fact that your car looks a great buy and the seats do look very nice :thumbup:
Regarding commuting the R is actually better on fuel than the 156. And there’s reports that dyno runs on standard R’s Are exceeding the 270bhp claimed by Peugeot :dance:
A street Nitrous kit could give you around 40bhp extra when you need it. :beer:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:48 am
drdino Senior Member

Kudos: 15
Pseud0nym wrote:
drdino wrote:

I wouldn't be ditching the turbo, I would be supplementing it. You can have both a supercharged and turbocharged engine, its just a matter of fitting it all into the engine bay lol
It's much more involved than that, a few OEMs have tried it and ditched it afterwards as it's unnecessarily complex.

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:57 am
Pseud0nym Regular
Regular

I have the 200 which is suppose to do 44mpg although I am only managing 39.7, I would probably get more but its just so much fun to drive and since most the roads where I live are NSL its easy to get carried away but in any case I was referring to the amount of miles I will be putting on it rather than the cost of fuel, but only because I have a fuel card lol

Nitrous really isnt an option though, insurance aside I would kill myself, I know it and most importantly the mrs knows it, its the same reason she wont let me get a bike!

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:04 am
Pseud0nym Regular
Regular

drdino wrote:
Pseud0nym wrote:
drdino wrote:

It's much more involved than that, a few OEMs have tried it and ditched it afterwards as it's unnecessarily complex.

I would imagine but with the RCZ sharing a lot of components with other cars, most of which have some form of motorsport background that there maybe some options available

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:09 am

Kudos: 4
Hi,
If you need any help with insurance at all for this type of conversion then please feel free to drop me a line.
Please not that the majority of our insurance schemes have no issues with nitros either and the premium loading are normally more affordable than you'd imagine.
Regards,
Dan.

Next

Return to RCZ Tuning & Modifying Forum