Board index Other Stuff General Chat ATV is not a toy

ATV is not a toy

General Chat about anything non-car related; Jokes, fun, of interest, lifestyle, in the news

Post Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:36 pm
stewartwillsher User avatar

Kudos: 252
As the subject says, an ATV is not a toy.
I do know; I have one, and it scares me.
I have driven some hairy motors in my time and survived ten years of rallying then a couple on the track; all over fifty years ago when safety was not as it is today.
I have also been a cycling proficiency instructor, a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists, and ridden bikes both as a brave pillion on early big ones then on my own more humble machines.
So I have a broad knowledge and am certainly no kill-joy nor a wimp.
ATVs and even the sportier quads can be and have proven to be a danger, especially for youngsters, who are having fun.

Why am I writing this WAFFLE?
Well, I have just read a news item where a fourteen year old and twelve year old were having fun on private land, on an ATV, and hit a tree.
The twelve year old is dead and the fourteen year old critical.
It was in the USA, but makes no difference as similar events have sadly happened in the UK and Europe, and many holiday destinations offer these machines to rent to go off-road exploring.

Those of you with biking experience know that the centre of gravity changes when leaning the bike, and also the angle presents a better grip on the road.
Accepted, that true off roaders are different.
The ATV (sometimes referred to as a 4x4 quad) is a totally different animal from a bike, or anything else for that matter
You sit high on most and the centre of gravity is high for ground clearance.
The suspension, is not soft and most ATVs are heavier than many big bikes.

Mine has some characteristics which are particularly awkward, which singly are no big deal, but combined make for a focused ride.
The wheels and tyres are almost agricultural and no power steering which means hard work and it tends to try and go where it wants; soft soil under just one of the front wheels needs popeye muscles!
Low gearing and fairly powerful 300cc engine is OK, but the centrifugal (auto) clutch together with the ridiculously sensitive thumb lever throttle makes for a leap forward and anticipated wheelie, which thank goodness is rare.
Brakes are as one would expect on tarmac, but on loose dirt a lock up is too easy and often unbalanced.
The two seat saddle is very broad and although not a strapping lad, I am no midget, and it feels like riding a cart horse.

ATVs are used all round the world for difficult go-anywhere jobs: for example in Canada they fix a snow plough on the front and are used to clear shopping mall car parks; police and even lifeguards use them for beach patrol; military use them for special forces transport.
They are relatively cheap to buy and maintain, have loads of parts in common with motorcycles, are rugged, and with care, require little training to use effectively.
But they are definitely, NOT a toy.

So, apologies to anyone who feels I am out of order highlighting a safety issue, but knowing a bit about the beast, I just had to say something; maybe someone might avoid injury or worse, remembering my words.
Attachments
atvme.JPG
atvme.JPG (139.16 KiB) Viewed 290 times
"La Gata Negra" 2.0 HDI 2014 Swiss spec fully loaded.

Post Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:35 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

Kudos: 631
Definately, didn't Ozzy Osbourne break his neck falling from one?
:lol: Laugh and the whole world laughs with you.... or is that at you? :eusa-think:

Former owner of Dolphin Blue GT200 fully loaded inc. Quads / Xenons.
Now on second white* R
currently sporting an Avery
Roaring Thunder Gloss flip colour wrap.

Post Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:52 am
stewartwillsher User avatar

Kudos: 252
Plecodoras wrote:
Definately, didn't Ozzy Osbourne break his neck falling from one?

Rik Mayall also nearly killed himself on (or off and under) an ATV.
Farmers have come unstuck too!
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... ke-2446447
"La Gata Negra" 2.0 HDI 2014 Swiss spec fully loaded.

Post Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:23 am
Plecodoras User avatar

Kudos: 631
Yes I forgot about poor Rik.

It's a fact that when i go on holiday to certain places, I always ask if there are any Quad bikes as I love riding them and they can be so much fun, but as with most things..... they all come with a risk . :thumbup:
:lol: Laugh and the whole world laughs with you.... or is that at you? :eusa-think:

Former owner of Dolphin Blue GT200 fully loaded inc. Quads / Xenons.
Now on second white* R
currently sporting an Avery
Roaring Thunder Gloss flip colour wrap.

Return to General Chat