Board index Other Stuff General Chat under cover

under cover

General Chat about anything non-car related; Jokes, fun, of interest, lifestyle, in the news

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:39 pm
stewartwillsher User avatar

Kudos: 252
Zero gone; RCZ needs accommodation; WAFFLE on providing it:

Whilst we have plenty of land, including a sizable car park, albeit on a twisting slope, we don't have under cover storage for all our vehicles.
Many years ago, the agricultural shed was re-roofed and a wide double door put in one end for the ATV (quad) to have a place to hide, it not being needed for all but about a month before each Christmas for the olive harvest.
In time for the arrival of the Zero, late 2010, a shelter was built for it and my simple specification was that the dimensions were just sufficient for the car.
This was OK because the crazy motor had no doors, no roof; just a tonneau cover and a rollover bar, through which I passed a chain over a roof member and fixed with a padlock.
I could step out of, or into, the car with a slim gap down the side for access.

Now along comes the RCZ, so something has to be done to, keep it out of sight, protect it from detritus like bird shit, and deter the opportunist crook.
You would think, with a hectare, a couple of acres, I could find a suitable spot for a garage to be thrown up, eh?
Trouble is, access; most terraces (designed by the Romans), and we have eight at the North end and a couple at the South, have about a two metre height difference and not very nice slopes between.
Hence, for the olive harvest, as many as forty forty-kilo sacks, the ATV is needed to shift the lot to the main gate for collection, and transport of some sort to the press.

The answer for the RCZ, unfortunately, had to be adapting, or replacing, the Zero shelter at the bottom of the car park slope.
Whilst there appears to be no urgency, La Gata Negra is sitting exposed, in all her glory, close to the house but not under cover.

I have given our favoured builder a specification comprising the internal dimensions required, for him to run with and create a refuge.
As with most garages, unlike that for the Zero, additional width is needed for the driver to open that door and exit the vehicle, so the width is much more than the existing structure.
For security, I envisage a door or even a lockable bar or similar across the shelter entrance to make it difficult to just spirit the RCZ away.
A door would be more difficult to design and construct and use, because immediately outside the doorway is a slope which is also far from level in cross section.
We have left it up to him to achieve a solution.

Incidentally, I notice, from the many proud photo's on here, that many beauties live on the street, or driveway, and are fully exposed.
Empirical evidence here in Spain, indicates that most damage, mostly superficial I add, is when the vehicle is left in a public place, i.e. in the roadway, a designated parking place or even in a public car park.
Dents and scrapes appear to be am unpleasant bonus for using a car here on the public highway and leaving it unattended for even a short period.
I speak with experience as both the 5008 and 108 have scars obtained when we were not present.
Nothing much can be done about that, but at home, I like to feel enough deterrent has been applied.
The house, like most in Spain is made reasonably secure by the addition of modest fortifications; these are in the form of rejas (bars) over windows and doors; and the car park only accessible through an electrically operated heavy steel gate.

I will report on progress as and when some made.
Attachments
slope.jpg
slope.jpg (47.47 KiB) Viewed 970 times
zeroshelter.jpg
zeroshelter.jpg (71.44 KiB) Viewed 970 times
"La Gata Negra" 2.0 HDI 2014 Swiss spec fully loaded.

Post Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:00 pm

Progress report:
At just before eight this morning, brothers Antonio and Louis, the builders, turned up with jackhammer and two large carrier bags of tomatoes.
That is life here, visit our bar and come away with loads of veg we cannot pay for, see the plumbers' mother and receive a dozen eggs, and so on.
The builders set to with the demolition phase.
So, by the time they were ready for their "second breakfast" (very traditional Spanish break mid morning) at a bar, the outer wall was demolished and new materials had been delivered.
We went over the dimensions and other criteria, and hopefully they have nothing stopping them; other than prising the blacksmith away from his base to come and relocate the steel supports to give the width La Gata Negra needs.
She is waiting patiently for her new home to be completed.
Today, they gave up at lunch time, and I don't blame them, it being into mid-thirties by then.
They laid two courses, so progress is visible.
And, no, they are not skivers, just sharp cookies that run jobs concurrently, so they have other work in the shade/inside for afternoon and early evening.
La Gata Negra's lair is in direct sun from about one p.m. onward, and without cloud or cool breeze, very hot until gone seven.
To be continued ...
Attachments
demolition1.jpg
demolition1.jpg (43 KiB) Viewed 859 times
demolition2.jpg
demolition2.jpg (68.77 KiB) Viewed 859 times
2courses.jpg
2courses.jpg (81.42 KiB) Viewed 859 times
waiting.jpg
waiting.jpg (14.73 KiB) Viewed 859 times

Post Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:35 pm

wall done
Attachments
walldone1.jpg
walldone1.jpg (73.39 KiB) Viewed 817 times
walldone2.jpg
walldone2.jpg (98.08 KiB) Viewed 817 times

Post Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:19 am

rendered
Attachments
rendered.jpg
rendered.jpg (85.12 KiB) Viewed 761 times

Post Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:00 pm

Steel square section tube and corrugated roof panelling has arrived. :-)
I have bought a CTEK whizzy battery conditioner and some electrical sundries. 8-)
Smith will be cutting and welding Thursday so he says. :thumbup:
Getting there. :clap:

Post Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:47 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

Kudos: 631
Glad it's all going well for you Stewie and you are putting in some real effort and funds, to ensure La Gata Negra is kept cool and secure.
But just remember The Peugeot Lion cannot be tamed !
:lol: Laugh and the whole world laughs with you.... or is that at you? :eusa-think:

Former owner of Dolphin Blue GT200 fully loaded inc. Quads / Xenons.
Now on second white* R
currently sporting an Avery
Roaring Thunder Gloss flip colour wrap.

Post Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:07 pm

Smith and mate turned up this morning.
Set to putting in place new roof support beams; much sparking of welder.
Then with angry grinder to chop up bits not needed or to be extended/modified.
Add/extend roof panels and trim.
A few bolts where uprights were fixed into concrete and Roberto es tu Tio.
La Gata Negra was in her lair like a pouncing panther.
Have now to think "security"; have ordered a locking post for the interim.
My task (strains of Mission Impossible music) now is to do the electrickery, which I quite like, having done much, or designed all, of wiring and outlets. etc. of house and outbuildings.
Oh, and some squidgy bumpers on the far wall, so she can snuggle close.
Attachments
done1.jpg
done1.jpg (73.67 KiB) Viewed 679 times
done2.jpg
done2.jpg (44.4 KiB) Viewed 679 times
shefits.jpg
shefits.jpg (74.47 KiB) Viewed 679 times

Post Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:25 am

Some bits and pieces, already put in place for La Gata Negra. :clap:
Mains power, including a four way with individually switched sockets and a trip.
CTEK battery conditioner to keep her nicely and gently charged up and raring to go, connected via terminals including a volt meter.
A fiendishly constructed bumper/buffer for end wall, made from foam pipe insulation and a sheet of dense foam which I guess was packing for something we bought; all held together with tie-wraps. :crazy:
Have two PIR activated 20w latest gen LED spots for approach and inside.
Need to determine best location; make brackets; fix; wire up.
Gave her a wash; rarely use pressure washer as our own water supply includes a high pressure on-demand pump, which together with a pistol nozzle thingy, shifts most crud, assisted by a big old-fashioned sponge. :thumbup:
Standing outside patiently waiting for her lair, subjected her to airborn detritus - twigs, leaves, bird sh1t, etc.
So boot and bonnet opened and accumulated rubbish removed first.
Too hot now for further outside antics. :thumbdown:
Attachments
lairend.jpg
lairend.jpg (38.49 KiB) Viewed 623 times
lectrickery.jpg
lectrickery.jpg (65.9 KiB) Viewed 623 times
despuésdeladucha.jpg
despuésdeladucha.jpg (93.83 KiB) Viewed 623 times

Post Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:56 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

Coming on well Stewie any joy with the door ?
:lol: Laugh and the whole world laughs with you.... or is that at you? :eusa-think:

Now on second white* R

Post Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:11 pm

Plecodoras wrote:
Coming on well Stewie any joy with the door ?

Lots of chin rubbing and mumbling twixt builders and smiths. :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
Am using a security post in the mean time whilst they cogitate. :roll:
Main thing, La Gata Negra is out of sight (unless you venture into car park and round bend to slope) and protected from elements and rubbish flying about or dropped from flyers. :thumbup:

Post Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:28 am

That's it for now, unless the chin-rubbers come up with a tidy solution for the door.
PIR activated lights; locking post; 12v supply; fire extinguisher.
Attachments
tuckedup.jpg
tuckedup.jpg (52.45 KiB) Viewed 475 times

Post Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:27 pm

Just got the bill and paid up.
727 euros total for two smiths for a day and a few half days for two builders, including all materials.
Demolition of wall; building and rendering new wall; cutting and welding structure to new dimensions; extending roof panels.
Bricks, sand and cement, steel, corrugated roofing, sundries.

Post Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:50 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

stewartwillsher wrote:
Just got the bill and paid up.
727 euros total for two smiths for a day and a few half days for two builders, including all materials.
Demolition of wall; building and rendering new wall; cutting and welding structure to new dimensions; extending roof panels.
Bricks, sand and cement, steel, corrugated roofing, sundries.

Well and truely a bargain there sir - well done !

Now on second white* R

Return to General Chat