Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ General Gap Insurance

Gap Insurance

General Community Discussion - Anything RCZ

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:51 pm
RCZ1 User avatar

Kudos: 1393
Right I've made this subject a Sticky as I think it's an important subject and could save our members some money into the bargain. I've merged most of the topics on GAP insurance into this Sticky so that it can used as a quick and easy reference.
Mk 2 Sport 156 Moroccan Red Bespoke Nappa leather
Black Roof Arches Sports Pack Sat Nav K&N Filter Philips Diamond Vision lights

RCZ Sport 156 in Pearl White Bespoke Nappa leather interior with RCZ motif
K & N High Performance Air Filter 360/60 LED DRLs Phillips Extreme +100% Headlights Custom Car Mats

Post Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:12 am
jactac User avatar

Kudos: 506
rjc813 wrote:
I got mine for £120 for 3 years, exactly the same cover that peugeot were offering for £300!

I had mine for around the same price FROM Peugeot :thumbup:
RCZ 156 GT
Opal White,
NG4 Sat Nav, Latest firmware/Maps/Speed cameras
Interior Sport Kit,
Onyx Black Solstice 19's,
Front RCZ Splitters
Phillips H7's Diamond Vision/Phillips X-treme vision
380/360 Led DLR's
Paint & Interior leather protection

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:50 pm
mr shiney Senior Member

Kudos: 2
I have always viewed GAP as being a con. My car insurance policy is 1st year new for old as standard. Beyond that I generally don't own the car so its not an issue.

I guess it's like anything you assess the risk personally and decide what you are prepared to pay for.

Post Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:17 pm
Oakville Member

Kudos: 5
Hi,
We took gap insurance, for a year, on our new 407 when we bought it on Oct 5th 2006. It was the first time we had ever taken it, and it was almost £300 but we didn't know much about shopping around. On Oct 5th 2007, my husband was driving to work. He had to cross a major road - a 'crooked crossroads' - which meant waiting on the crown of a very fast road to turn right. He was hit from behind by a lorry and propelled head-on into a car coming the opposite direction. It was a fairly major accident - he was knocked out after hitting his head and our 15yr old daughter suffered a back injury and friction burns from the seatbelt, as well as a dislocated shoulder. She was taken out on a back board and they were both hospitalised. The driver he hit was also concussed. Both cars were wrecked, although in hindsight the car crumpled where it was meant to, while the passenger compartment remained intact, thankfully.
Our insurance company offered us £7000 inside a few days, for a one year old car for which we had paid almost 15K. I was less than happy and asked my solicitor brother to look at it. If there is one thing I learned it is that Joe or Jo Bloggs have no clout with insurance companies. Our company (one of the best known underwriters) immediately upped the offer to £8500 once he got involved. At that point we decided to look at the Gap insurance.
The gap insurance company immediately began to argue that the gap insurance was only valid for a year, and therefore we were out of time. Again with legal help, the case continued to be argued for several months. Areas of dispute included the spelling of my first name (it's Irish, but I'm in NI), date of birth being wrong on the insurance document ( it was my responsibility to check it was correct), and the thorny business of 'a year'. In the event, after a lot of legal wrangling, which involved a QC, the Gap insurance company accepted that the car had been insured from 5pm on 5/10/06, and damaged beyond repair at 8am on 5/10/07. Our solicitor provided the insurance company with three 'new for old' quotations, our original dealer was deemed to be the best, and we took possession of a brand new 407.
It was a salutary experience for us, and we had no hesitation taking the dealer's gap insurance with our new RCZ. I know I probably could have got it cheaper elsewhere, but at least I know with that company, all the corners are covered. It took my husband a year to recover full mental capacity; our daughter recovered quickly and has no ill effects. I reckon they were lucky to be in so safe a car!

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:19 am
ksb Member

Kudos: 1
It's huge testament to modern engineering that such a severe sounding accident resulted in full recoveries of all concerned, and I continue to hear stories where Peugeot cars have endured well in big collisions. Which is reassuring as we own 2 of them ;)

I wouldn't hesitate with GAP insurance and when ordering my RCZ yesterday I was happy to take the dealer, which oddly upped the guaranteed future value on PCP and cancelled itself out nicely ;)
Black 'n' White 156 Sport (Yep I turn my own lights on! ;) )

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:38 pm
scottwb User avatar

Regular
Regular

I took the GAP insurance as well and was charged £399 for 3 years and gap cover of £20,000. No idea if this is good or bad but as I was getting a reasonable deal on the car I was happy to pay it. Hopefully will never have to use it.

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:21 pm
RCZ1 User avatar

scottwb wrote:
I took the GAP insurance as well and was charged £399 for 3 years and gap cover of £20,000. No idea if this is good or bad but as I was getting a reasonable deal on the car I was happy to pay it. Hopefully will never have to use it.

It seems excessive to me. I'm sure you would have got it cheaper on line, as I did, but at least you have it :)

K & N High Performance Air Filter 360/60 LED DRLs Phillips Extreme +100% Headlights Custom Car Mats

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:34 pm
jc73uk User avatar

I got mine from autotrader (ala insurance)
Maximum Benefit: £20,000.00
Vehicle Make: PEUGEOT Model: PEUGEOT RCZ GT HDI
Cover Start Date: 05 May 2011 Cover End Date: 04 May 2015
Total Premium: £219.00

Was much cheaper than other quotes I received at the time.
If you have just purchased your insurance, there is probably a cool off period where you can cancel it if you decide to look around...
RCZ HDi GT Black.

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:40 pm
jc73uk User avatar

I also had had an email which arrived after I had purchased my gap insurance...
but for those interested it was titled:

GAP Insurance
The dealer rip off exposed!

'Rip off Britain', a BBC consumer advice programme ran an article recently, exposing how dealers are ripping off consumers by charging exorbitant premiums for GAP Insurance.

Click this youtube link to view the article and find out how to get a better deal on your GAP Insurance.
http://www.ala.co.uk/video.php

YouTube link direct: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf_8z4W6VrI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

You can judge for yourself.
RCZ HDi GT Black.

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:46 pm
scottwb User avatar

Regular
Regular

jc73uk wrote:

If you have just purchased your insurance, there is probably a cool off period where you can cancel it if you decide to look around...

Thanks for the info, it is a lot cheaper, but I'm just going to go with the dealer offer - I saved a good chunk on the list and got a good p/x for my Lexus so can't really complain if they try and claw a little back :D

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:10 am
jc73uk User avatar

scottwb wrote:
jc73uk wrote:

Thanks for the info, it is a lot cheaper, but I'm just going to go with the dealer offer - I saved a good chunk on the list and got a good p/x for my Lexus so can't really complain if they try and claw a little back :D

Your choice, but you could get an extra year or 2 for much cheaper. Not sure if gap is transferable between sellers, if you sell your car before it expires.
You don't owe your dealer anything! So don't think you should be paying a higher premium for less! Madness!!
But always check terms and conditions before cancelling and swapping to ensure you are still eligible if taking out another policy. There may be time restrictions to get insurance set up after purchase.
RCZ HDi GT Black.

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:30 am
RCZ1 User avatar

If you go with ala, you can transfer your policy to your new car, if you change cars sometime during the length of your policy.

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:13 pm
OO58RON User avatar

Kudos: 890
RCZ1 wrote:
If you go with ala, you can transfer your policy to your new car, if you change cars sometime during the length of your policy.

Correct. I did just that from Pearl to Pearl2. No administration fees simply a slightly higher premium due to the higher specced, higher valued Pearl2 :thumbup:
RCZ is the only car to make the Audi TT appear dated, and is officially the sexiest car on the road.

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm
TH222 Newbie

Kudos: 0
I was in two kinds whether to take it out or not. I was concious that the dealer would be on commission and it might not necessarily be what I needed. I decided to take it out in the end.

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:06 pm
RCZ1 User avatar

TH222 wrote:
I was in two kinds whether to take it out or not. I was concious that the dealer would be on commission and it might not necessarily be what I needed. I decided to take it out in the end.

It's definitely worth having but I would consider buying it on line NOT from your dealer, as they are on commission for selling it and you can get it considerably cheaper elsewhere for the same or better cover :)

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:10 pm
OO58RON User avatar

TH222 wrote:
Personally I think that it is a good thing to have. However as usual with all these things the dealer is the last place to get it from/through,
RCZ is the only car to make the Audi TT appear dated, and is officially the sexiest car on the road.

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:40 pm
ryanb Senior Member

Kudos: 3
I have not read the thread so please excuse me if this has been said.

There are more than one type of gap, but the best by far is the one that takes the payout value to the same as the invoice value. I.e

You pay £30k
Insurance company gives you £15k
The gap company gives you £15k

And my advice. Don't get it from the dealership. Try these. Very good.

Dhttp://www.ala.co.uk/honestjohngap/
Diesel GT
Sad ex owner of a - Pearl white, Carbon roof, 19" Onyx black Solstice Wheels, Feline kit (no stripes), Black brakes, Black mirrors
Interior sports Kit, Intergral Leather, NG4, JBL Hi Fi Pack

Happy owner of a new Mercedes C250 sport, red with black panoramic roof and lots of toys. Quicker but not as much fun as the best looking car on the road.

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:51 pm
RCZ1 User avatar

Yes that's who I get mine through :thumbup:

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:59 pm
OO58RON User avatar

RCZ1 wrote:
Yes that's who I get mine through :thumbup:

and me :thumbup:

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:00 pm
Grantp User avatar

Kudos: 85
I am going to get my GAP insurance online this time, as last time didn't understand so went with dealership. What is the best way to go 'Back to Invoice Plus' or 'Vehicle Replacement Plus'. I am looking also at Honest John (ALA), and for back to Invoice premium is £129 and Vehicle Replacement is £187.01. What did you both go for RCZ1 and Ron
1st RCZ - GT 156 - Charcoal - JBL HiFi Pack - NG4 3D Sat Nav
Ordered 22nd June 2010 - Built 12th Sept - In Calais 21st Sept 2010 - Picked up from Dealers 5th Oct 2010

2nd RCZ - GT 200 - Nero Black - Technical Storm Grey Alloys - JBL HiFi Pack - RT6 SatNav - Vision Pack - Black Pack
Ordered 26th Jan 2013 - Built 22nd April - In Calais 29th April - Picked up from Dealers 17th May 2013

PreviousNext

Return to Peugeot RCZ General