Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeotpedia Installing a K&N air filter

Installing a K&N air filter

"How to..." section with guides and info on common tasks and modifications etc.

Post Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:14 am
reycz95 User avatar

Kudos: 24

Putty especially not this kind(genre) of filter on the hdi, a ca involves(puts at stake) the life expectancy(cycle) of the ratemeter, and perf level no earnings(gain), I ran(drove) x year on my 206 rescheduled(reprogrammed) with one k*n when I had it has a good laugh to change the ratemeter put back(handed) a first prize of center automobile and NO difference

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:02 pm
AdamTHP Newbie

Kudos: 0
OK, guys.

First of all I apologise for being such an ignorant, but I hope you will forgive me.

I don't understand one thing. What the hell is the air filter? I've been thinking that the only "air filter" which upgrading increases power is an intake. in my THP200 intake is in a very different place under the bonnet.
So what is the filter you guys upgrade? And what is the difference between the "air filter" and the "intake"?

Please, excuse me this question.

best regards,

Adam

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:10 pm
RCZ-Performance User avatar

Kudos: 261

AdamTHP wrote:
OK, guys.

First of all I apologise for being such an ignorant, but I hope you will forgive me.

I don't understand one thing. What the hell is the air filter? I've been thinking that the only "air filter" which upgrading increases power is an intake. in my THP200 intake is in a very different place under the bonnet.
So what is the filter you guys upgrade? And what is the difference between the "air filter" and the "intake"?

best regards,

Adam

The air intake is where the air comes in and the filter removes any containments in the air so that the engine is not damaged.

Great link for this: http://rczperformance.com/EngineTuning.html#KN_Filter

Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:50 am
MaX83 User avatar

Kudos: 215
AdamTHP wrote:
OK, guys.

best regards,

Adam

The intake does exactly what it says, it takes (guides\channels) air into the engine. The air taken into the engine needs to be cleaned or filtered and the intake guides air into the vehicles airbox where the filter sits. Air passes through the filter from where it (clean filtered air) enters the engine.

The guys change the stock filter to a less restrictive filter like the K&N which allows more air to pass through the system with less restriction. If the car can suck in more air, it can add more fuel and more air and fuel leads to more power :beer:

Current: 2013 Peugeot 308 GTI THP 200
2013 BMW 328i(A) F30 M-Sport

Ex: 2013 Peugeot RCZ THP 200
2011 Citroen C4 THP 155
2008 Peugeot 207 GT THP 150

Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:23 pm
bradshaw Senior Member

Kudos: 21
Simples!! :lol:
THP200 SPORT, mercury grey, K&N filter, feline quads, red calipers, private plate, age is just a number!

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:34 pm
dand87 User avatar

Kudos: 157
Got this bad boy to fit this weekend! It does say for Mini Cooper s on the box though :crazy: assume this is because they are a similar engine!?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (254.94 KiB) Viewed 10858 times
Weekday - High Speed 1.
Weekend - Pearl White RCZ GT with Onyx Black Solstice alloys, feline kit, NG4, K&N air filter, tinted rear 1/4's, LED DRL's/interior lights, Phillips Extreme Vision and private plate.
Dodgy car parks - the missus' Black Fiesta MK 7 Tdci Zetec S w/Street Pack.

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:59 pm
Chuzzbutt User avatar

Kudos: 254
dand87 wrote:
Got this bad boy to fit this weekend! It does say for Mini Cooper s on the box though :crazy: assume this is because they are a similar engine!?

Same engine my friend, was designed in partnership with BMW and Citroen

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:12 pm
dand87 User avatar

Kudos: 157
Thank you sir. Can now leave the seller their feedback!!
Weekday - High Speed 1.
Weekend - Pearl White RCZ GT with Onyx Black Solstice alloys, feline kit, NG4, K&N air filter, tinted rear 1/4's, LED DRL's/interior lights, Phillips Extreme Vision and private plate.
Dodgy car parks - the missus' Black Fiesta MK 7 Tdci Zetec S w/Street Pack.

Post Wed May 22, 2013 11:13 am
Wouter001 User avatar

Regular
Regular

Kudos: 5
RCZ1 wrote:
tomu80 wrote:
Kind of a stupid post - it's as simple as it can be - no need to attach an photos to do that...

If you've never installed one before and there are probably plenty of people that haven't, then it's useful to be able to look at pictures to make things clearer for people. I would have found this helpful when coming to do mine. So I wouldn't say it's a "stupid post" :thumbdown:

Thanks for the post RCZ1, i found it very usefull since im planning on replacing it myself to and im not to mechanical!
Nera Black 156 GT;
NG4 Sat Nav,
Interior Sport Kit,
Solstice 19's,
LED DRL's,
Xenons

Post Wed May 22, 2013 12:50 pm
RCZ1 User avatar

Kudos: 1478
Wouter001 wrote:
RCZ1 wrote:
tomu80 wrote:
Kind of a stupid post - it's as simple as it can be - no need to attach an photos to do that...

If you've never installed one before and there are probably plenty of people that haven't, then it's useful to be able to look at pictures to make things clearer for people. I would have found this helpful when coming to do mine. So I wouldn't say it's a "stupid post" :thumbdown:

Thanks for the post RCZ1, i found it very usefull since im planning on replacing it myself to and im not to mechanical!

Even my other half had to refer to it when putting one in my new RCZ ;)

Blog: http://rczandme.wordpress.com/
Mk 2 Sport 156 Moroccan Red Bespoke Nappa leather
Black Roof Arches Sports Pack Sat Nav K&N Filter Philips Diamond Vision lights

RCZ Sport 156 in Pearl White Bespoke Nappa leather interior with RCZ motif
K & N High Performance Air Filter 360/60 LED DRLs Phillips Extreme +100% Headlights Custom Car Mats

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:19 am
kazee User avatar

Hi all, just got mine frm steve, rcz performance, gonna be fixing it soon.. fast!!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:10 pm
kazee User avatar

Fixing the air filter is crazy, it's worst than mounting a rack server into a small rack.. with the wrong tools!!! But glad it's done..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:29 pm
TomC User avatar

Kudos: 321
RCZ1 wrote:
Here is the process we followed along with pictures to guide you.

Works exactly as shown :thumbup:

If you're having the THP 200 engine it's a bit more fiddly because there's an additional plug (+ cable) on the air inlet pipe (most probably the air-flow meter) which makes things a bit more complicated.

Also don't do it like me just 30 minutes after picking up the filter from the post office. The THP 200 engine was still blistering hot, I burned my skin slightly and felt like inside a finish sauna :oops:

BTW, did your original filter look like this?

Last edited by TomC on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

The blackest THP 200 of all...

Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:35 pm
RCZ1 User avatar

Yes it did Tom.

Good tip on installing it when the engine is cool. Hope you didn't hurt yourself too bad.

K & N High Performance Air Filter 360/60 LED DRLs Phillips Extreme +100% Headlights Custom Car Mats

Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:48 pm
mrizzle User avatar

Kudos: 1570

Schoolboy error there Tom! Your eagerness was your downfall there. It's a blooming hot running engine though isn't it?! I trust you had a post fitting ice bath?
Former owner of: Dolphin Blue 156 GT, feline kit (black mesh grille and quad exhausts)
Black Onyx Solstice Alloys
380/360 led drls.
Osram Nightbreaker Plus Gold Edition bulbs
K&N Air Filter.
Personalised plate.

The replacement; Summit White Astra (J) GTC VXR

Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:12 pm
TomC User avatar

Kudos: 321
mrizzle wrote:
I trust you had a post fitting ice bath?

Kind of, yes :lol:

I guess I'm still used to the Audi 3 litre Diesel engine which needs MUCH longer to heat up.

After a short trip to the post office it would have been slightly warm or so...
Tom

The blackest THP 200 of all...

Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:14 pm
RCZ1 User avatar

You're not wrong there Rizz. Left my car stood for an hour and a half the other day before washing it. The heat coming from the engine/wheels was something else :(

Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:24 pm
mrizzle User avatar

Kudos: 1570

Still...it's like a portable bbq. Can even keep your burgers, prawns and sausages cool with the climate controlled glove compartment. :lol::lol:
Former owner of: Dolphin Blue 156 GT, feline kit (black mesh grille and quad exhausts)
Black Onyx Solstice Alloys
380/360 led drls.
Osram Nightbreaker Plus Gold Edition bulbs
K&N Air Filter.
Personalised plate.

The replacement; Summit White Astra (J) GTC VXR

Post Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:52 am
RCZ-Performance User avatar

Kudos: 261

Now selling the K&N Filter for both the Diesel and Petrol engines found in the RCZ. So whether or not you have a HDi or THP engine, K&N has a filter for you:

http://shop.rczperformance.com/KN-Air-Filter-KN-Filter.htm

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:57 am
zubair Newbie

Kudos: 0
kkrcz wrote:
sensen wrote:
kkrcz wrote:
My K&N filter still sitting in the boot...hard to find the unique screwdriver locally... :(

So may be it's help :

http://shop.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/search ... =0&cmd=SKW

Thanks!

Just managed to get a set from a local hardware store at around 3.5 pound.

Spent half an hour installing the filter. The difficult part in opening up the cover. Have to use some force (with care and bumping heart...), and finally got the K&N fitted.

Not sure if there is any significant improvement in power or speed, but I do feel that the sound seems stronger. Did a quick slow drive, and drive seems smoother with more responsive response to my fuel pedal.

Again, NOT SURE if it is just psychologically feel or in reality it is better. :D

(This thread really does help! I have to refer back again to the thread photos to figure out that I need to remove the brake fluid box in order to get the air inlet OFF the cover.

Hi

I'm my honest opinion, having owned a number of cars over the years, turbos and non-turbos, installing expensive K&N or HKS air filters has made no difference to the performance, especially the claims made by the manufacturers of these filters that there will be an increase of 5-10 bhp.

I have used both K&N and HKS air filters and obviously they affect the sound from the engine, because now slightly more air is entering the turbo's compressor, so it kind of sounds like a snort, but the 'increased performance' is more psychological than reality.

To truly increase the performance of the RCZ, start by re-mapping your ECU, RICA is an example:
http://www.ricatuning.co.uk/content.jsp?pname=tuning

Then if you wish upgrade your air filter, exhaust, etc.

Please have a look at the following link for a good explanation on how turbos and air intakes work:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

Ideally the air entering the engine should be high pressure, cold, dense air, hence the need for an inter-cooler, which is also explained in the link above.

This is just my opinion and I have not bothered replacing the air filter in my RCZ.

I could go on, but I won't! ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Peugeotpedia