Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeotpedia MOT and side lights 156GT

MOT and side lights 156GT

"How to..." section with guides and info on common tasks and modifications etc.

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:08 pm
ianGT156 User avatar

Kudos: 41

Hi all,

I'm doing basic checks ahead of my MOT which is due in two weeks.

My sidelights don't appear to work at all. When the stalk is on the single bulb setting (after auto) then no bulbs illuminate, just the DRLs. I can see very small bulbs in a housing which are the main beam bulbs. In the same housing is a big round bulb that never illuminates.

So, as far as the MOT goes, do my DRLs make the sidelights redundant? I've noticed that when I have the DRL setting ticked in vehicle parameters, the DRLs are on all the time. When that box is unticked, the DRLs only come on when just the sidelights are switched on.

I think all is well. Anybody disagree?

Ian :eusa-think:
RCZ 156 GT Mercury Grey 2013 £9960 - Now named Rozie!
Remap to 181.9hp and 300.7 Nm £354.
Private Plate RCZ 2820 (£365)
Cleaning Kit Bits (£400+)
Recaro Car Seat Protector £22.50 (for the dog)
Photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... 2741446218

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:45 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 1137
All is well, worry not :thumbup:

The bulbs are a redundant feature. When you select sidelights, the DRL’s are on dimmed. During daytime use, they are on bright. When the dipped beam comes on, the DRL’s are dimmed again.

Your car will pass it’s MOT, unless you get some numpty like I once did from a previous car who gave me a fail for a non working feature that my car didn’t even have :eusa-think: :wtf:
The decision was reversed when I spoke to his manager and pointed out the error of his ways :eusa-whistle:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:53 pm
stewartwillsher User avatar

Kudos: 263
WAFFLE on conformance:
This might put your mind at rest, based on personal experience importing a vehicle into an EU country from another EU country.
All cars sold by the major manufacturers get type approval of a model and significant changes thereafter.
Once Type Approval has been granted then using a formal document for the vehicle called a EuroCoc (EU Certificate of Conformance) it can be sold and moved anywhere within the EU and be given unhindered registration.
So what has all that to do with the RCZ lights.
Well, the original and facelift RCZs will have had to obtain Type Approval, with all lighting operating and conforming to standards.
If the lights work as they came out of the factory, then Type Approval and the EuroCoC, govern anything from plod questioning the way your car is, to the MoT.
Hope that helps.
:ugeek:
"La Gata Negra" 2.0 HDI 2014 Swiss spec fully loaded.
"Bus" 7 seat 5008 1.6HDI 2014.
"Purple People Eater" 108 1.2 PureTech 2016 Top fully loaded.
"Animal" Linhai 300 4x4 ATV 2008.

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:33 pm
RCZIain Moderator

Kudos: 206
On the mk1, Sidelights and drl are a single, double filament bulb.
Maybe the 5w filament has blown in both bulbs?

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk
Not a Peugeot anymore, after god knows how many years. I now drive a 2013 Toyota GT86, called Steven. It done gone sideways.

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:58 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 560
DKZ is right the MK2 doesn’t use the sidelight bulbs even though they are there,the drl’s are the sidelights :thumbup:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:22 pm
ianGT156 User avatar

Kudos: 41

Wow Chaps!! I'm overwhelmed by all the advice, and so quickly too.

Thanks, DKZ5745, stewartwillsher, RCZIain and neilgsxr69.

So my hunch that the bulbs were redundant was right. Also Iain, I had a horrible thought that both bulbs were blown or I had an impossible wiring fault to find. Mine is a MK2 by the way.

Sighs of relief,

Ian ;O)
RCZ 156 GT Mercury Grey 2013 £9960 - Now named Rozie!
Remap to 181.9hp and 300.7 Nm £354.
Private Plate RCZ 2820 (£365)
Cleaning Kit Bits (£400+)
Recaro Car Seat Protector £22.50 (for the dog)
Photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... 2741446218

Return to Peugeotpedia