Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Exterior Rear Spoiler

Rear Spoiler

Body panels, spoiler, wipers, mirrors and windows, feline pack etc

Post Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:21 pm
jonsimps Regular
Regular

Kudos: 6
Rear spoiler doesn't rise at the pre set speed, and therefore doesn't return to closed either when speed drops, but it does respond to manual raising and closing at any speed by the button - any ideas where to look or just throw it back at the dealer as it is under warranty.

Always like to try to fix things myself if they are straightforward, good practice when warranty no longer covers you.

Post Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:21 pm
Tomas_90 User avatar

Kudos: 193
Sounds like a sensor problem or something. Where such a sensor could be is another problem tho....
Peugeot RCZ THP 200 -11
Pearl White
JBL HiFi Pack
Bi-Xenon - Blue Vision Ultra - LED DRL's
19" Sortilége Mat Black Onyx (Summer)
18" Peugeot Original - Terrific (Winter)
Black Calipers

Post Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:59 pm
frankvdb User avatar

Kudos: 80
I don't think there is a separate speed sensor for the spoiler.
I would expect it uses the speed as displayed on the odometer.
Never heard about this type of issue.
A known source for electric problems such as spontaneous opening of the boot or malfunction of door or boot lock or door window is water ingress in the boot lid.
My car history:
2010 Peugeot RCZ HDi 163hp blue tuanake full options
2001 Peugeot 307 3-door XSi HDi 110hp blue recife
1995 Peugeot 306 3-door XNd 70hp rouge analou

Post Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:18 pm
Abzynthe User avatar

Kudos: 1036

How do you know it doesnt work? It has two stages and stage one cant be seen from the front seats.

Post Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:42 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 915
I had exactly the same concerns when I first got my Z. Try as I might, I couldn't see the spoiler deploying at 50 mph.

There are two ways of finding out if its working.

Tear a tissue into confetti size pieces, manually raise the spoiler, place the tissue under the spoiler and manually lower it. Make sure it's fully down & therefore in auto mode.
Drive the car over 50 mph and then stop the car. Manually raise the spoiler & check to see if the tissue has gone.

Method 2. Get someone to follow you while you drive over 50 mph. Make sure spoiler is in auto mode (light off on switch & spoiler down fully)

I would be surprised if you find it is not deploying as intended as this is a question that has been repeated many times in this forum & I don't think anyone has yet found it to not be working. :auto-car:
Last edited by DKZ5745 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:59 pm
O Lusitanian User avatar

Kudos: 51
Does everyone have these doubts when they 1st get a Z - I know I did.
Option 3 - tried and tested.
Find a stretch of straight road, ask the better half to stand on the kerb.
Drive past at 45 and then again at 55.
Black RCZ Sport Hdi 163cv - Zunsport Quads - Philips X-treme Vision - 92 Red LED rears - De Lettered Rear
10% discount to members on Portuguese Villa
http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/portugal/P2787.htm

Post Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:20 pm
jonsimps Regular
Regular

Kudos: 6
Thanks for your views so far, but wasn't aware it was a two stage affair.
My benchmark is raising it manually and noting where it was from the rear view mirror, lower it, get up to 60mph and try to see it again without crashing into anything!
I think 3rd party help is needed on this to determine what if anything is happening when driving.

Post Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:37 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

O Lusitanian wrote:
Does everyone have these doubts when they 1st get a Z - I know I did.

I think from reading on this forum it appears to be one of the things everyone thinks is faulty.

When you press the switch, you can see the spoiler, so you can't understand why you can't see it when driving. It is as simple as the two stage deployment. Press the switch, it goes to stage 2 & you can see it. Drive & it's at stage 1 and you can't.

So it's human nature to assume its broken :eusa-think:

I accidentally did 110 mph in mine the other day :auto-car: but I was concentrating so much on the road, I totally forgot to see if the spoiler had gone to stage 2 :geek:

I probably won't be doing it again any time soon so I will have to assume it does :crazy:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:40 pm
Abzynthe User avatar

Kudos: 1036

I was the same when I raced Bradley Philpot in an R from Pugfest :lol: I completely forgot to look.

Post Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:52 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

There is a long straight(ish) stretch of road leading from a village near me called Grimethorpe.
A slow moving car had been holding an MGF and myself up for some time.
When we got to this road, the MGF went round him, followed by me. I decided to carry on past the the MGF & he decided not to let me, so I had to harness all 200 horses & red line it in 4th. As he slowly disappeared in my rear view mirror, I glanced down & saw I was doing 110 & was amazed at how quickly I had reached that speed, but also amazed at how quickly the bend in front was approaching. It was time to utilise the oversized discs on the front of my GT.

Funnily enough, the MGF stayed some distance back from me all the way along the next stretch of road. I think he'd thought he would have been able to easily out-accelerate me, and was probably a little upset at how easily I had left him for dead.
Either that or his head gasket had gone in his attempt to keep me at bay :lol: MG's have a habit of doing that :D
Last edited by DKZ5745 on Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:09 pm
mistral_blue Senior Member

Kudos: 82
I use the spoiler rather than the speedo to judge how fast I'm going...

Can't see spoiler = normal speed
Spolier in view = ban territory (so only occasional use!)

Simples!

:eusa-whistle:
Peugeot RCZ 1.6 THP 200 GT - Zunsport Quads, Footrest, Boot Tray, Phillips +100% H7s, K&N Panel filter
Jaguar XKR 4.0 (modified >400BHP)

Skoda Octavia 2.0 vRS Estate

Looking for the RCZ Workshop Manual? See HERE & HERE | Link to Weekly checks & Interim Service guide HERE

Post Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:09 pm
Tomas_90 User avatar

Kudos: 193
Peugeot RCZ THP 200 -11
Pearl White
JBL HiFi Pack
Bi-Xenon - Blue Vision Ultra - LED DRL's
19" Sortilége Mat Black Onyx (Summer)
18" Peugeot Original - Terrific (Winter)
Black Calipers

Post Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:24 pm

:thumbup: :clap:
Peugeot RCZ 1.6 THP 200 GT - Zunsport Quads, Footrest, Boot Tray, Phillips +100% H7s, K&N Panel filter

Looking for the RCZ Workshop Manual? See HERE & HERE | Link to Weekly checks & Interim Service guide HERE

Post Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:34 am
SEVEN7SEV3N Senior Member

Kudos: 44
:clap: :eusa-whistle:

Post Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:48 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

So, couldn't resist, went back down the same stretch of road this morning, it was completely empty so........
I can confirm stage 2 at 95 (ish) :thumbup:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:48 pm

DKZ5745 wrote:
I think he'd thought he would have been able to easily out-accelerate me, and was probably a little upset at how easily I had left him for dead.

Hairdressers car vs wolf in sheeps clothing that is the 200GT... No contest! :dance:

Unless they've stuck a V6 in it of course! :eusa-whistle:

Post Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:42 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Hmmm........ Now that could have been embarrassing.
I'm sure that one day some little Erk in a Polo, slung a quarter of an inch above the Tarmac is going to disappear into the distance with his Scooby exhaust ringing in my ears, at which point I will take Solice in the fact that I Would rather have a slightly slower Z than a race tuned Chavmobile :auto-car:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:14 pm

Well said Sir!

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:48 pm
tommysrcz Member

Kudos: 1
DKZ5745 wrote:
So, couldn't resist, went back down the same stretch of road this morning, it was completely empty so........
I can confirm stage 2 at 95 (ish) :thumbup:

yeah about 96 for mine , my daughter grassed me up ha ha she is 7 . so when mrs was in the car my daughter says Dad can you get the spoiler to come up again!!!! ha ha ha got a stern look from the Mrs oops :)

Return to Exterior