Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Exterior Auto spoiler

Auto spoiler

Body panels, spoiler, wipers, mirrors and windows, feline pack etc

Post Tue May 13, 2014 9:45 pm
thackers Member

Kudos: 32
I understand the rear spoiler works on auto at certain speeds 53mph and around 90ish mph. The button near the handbrake is in the position with the light off, but the spoiler doesn't lift. Is there a quick fix or is it off to the dealer? Tasomuch :thumbup:

Post Tue May 13, 2014 9:57 pm
pete.garratt Senior Member

Kudos: 142
Are you sure it doesn't lift? At the first stage lift, you won't be able to see it in you mirror &, obviously, second stage lift is not achievable at legal UK road speeds, so you shouldn't see that through the rear view mirror either.

Does it lift if you press the button (orange light illuminated)? This will take it up to second stage, I believe.

Best bet is to get someone to follow you down the motorway and visually confirm it comes up to first stage. So far as I know, there isn't a big history of spoiler issues.
Moroccan Red R
JBL
Black Mirror Caps

Post Tue May 13, 2014 10:10 pm
thackers Member

Kudos: 32
Yes, it works when the light is on (manually) and I can see it move up and down through the rear mirror, I'll try and sit in the back next time the Mrs and me go out and watch for it lifting

Post Tue May 13, 2014 10:32 pm

OK, so there's nothing wrong with the motor, it's electrical supply or the mechanism (otherwise it wouldn't lift at all) & the manual button operates it as expected.

So the only thing that could be wrong is the speed detection/activation function. However, I strongly suspect you'll find it's working when you can observe it but it'll be good to hear the results of your experiment. - Let us know what happens.
Moroccan Red R
JBL
Black Mirror Caps

Post Wed May 14, 2014 6:16 am
donnaj1dlh User avatar

Kudos: 425
It is possible to see the spoiler rise and fall when you drive. Choose a nice long straight road, make sure the sun is shining directly on the passenger side. You should see the shadow of the spoiler out of the drivers side window.
Celebrated the birth of a "bog standard" Amber Red 2.0 HDi GT RCZ............born on 01 Oct 11
.... staying faithful to the brand:
2011 RCZ HDi GT, Amber Red
2006 207 HDi GT, Lacerta Yellow
2000 306 HDi DTurbo, China Blue
1998 306 DTurbo, Silver
and then I went and bought a Volcanic Orange Mini Cooper S, born 14Jun14 ... 'kin meong.......

Post Wed May 14, 2014 7:11 am

Good idea!
Moroccan Red R
JBL
Black Mirror Caps

Post Wed May 14, 2014 7:53 am
Abzynthe User avatar

Kudos: 1036

I check mine every time I put it on a rolling road.

Post Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:41 pm
Vitaminas User avatar

Kudos: 2
I have the same problem. Auto not move! :oops: :oops:

Post Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:16 pm

Kudos: 20
A super easy legal way to check it works. Use button to raise spoiler on your driveway. Put piece of tissue paper under spoiler and use button to close. Go drive above 55.go home and raise spoiler. No tissue means no problems.

Post Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:42 pm
wrapper Banned
Banned

Kudos: 73
I have the same problem wondering if the light in the fridge goes out when i close the door.
Despite three temporary bans and various warnings, I continued to behave like a dick and got banned permanently.

Post Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:48 pm

wrapper wrote:
I have the same problem wondering if the light in the fridge goes out when i close the door.

I wonder more if a bear farts in the woods and no one is there, does it still make a sound.

Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:53 am
Gedget Regular
Regular

Kudos: 7
Tbh I've also never see the spoiler working on auto. I've even took it to +160km/h and still didn't saw anything.
In manual, works perfectly...

Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:55 am
Abzynthe User avatar

Kudos: 1036

The spoiler has a purpose, and Id say if you havent crashed, its working lol

Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:56 pm

The spoiler is there, I assume, to counter rear axle lift. If it's not working its no guarantee you'll have an accident. But it surely increases the risk in high speed bends so if you consider its not working get it sorted or leave it raised if it bothers you. I've noticed on mine the trigger speed is fairly loose; creep to the trigger speed and it doesn't deploy, race past and it does. But it always deploys eventually.

Post Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:01 pm
Bryanf Regular
Regular

Kudos: 17
Wasn't sure if mine was working but I tested it today and it works on auto. Don't know about the first stage but according to the digital mph read out the second stage came up at 101mph and dropped back down at 89 mph.
A very beautiful Opal white 156 GT.

Post Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:12 pm
OO58RON User avatar

Kudos: 891
Bryanf wrote:
Wasn't sure if mine was working but I tested it today and it works on auto. Don't know about the first stage but according to the digital mph read out the second stage came up at 101mph and dropped back down at 89 mph.

101mph seems rather high. It's normally around the 97/98 mark
RCZ is the only car to make the Audi TT appear dated, and is officially the sexiest car on the road.

Post Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:29 pm
wrapper Banned
Banned

Kudos: 73
I know on the TT it was more or less a safety recall.Cars spinning off the road and stuff. Not sure if it is so important on the nicer shape of the RCZ? If most of us stop posting i guess i am wrong.
Despite three temporary bans and various warnings, I continued to behave like a dick and got banned permanently.

Post Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:35 pm
mrizzle User avatar

Kudos: 1570

OO58RON wrote:
Bryanf wrote:

101mph seems rather high. It's normally around the 97/98 mark

Yes but you also have to allow for discrepancies in the speedometer Ron. As the speed increases these discrepancies become more significant.
Former owner of: Dolphin Blue 156 GT, feline kit (black mesh grille and quad exhausts)
Black Onyx Solstice Alloys
380/360 led drls.
Osram Nightbreaker Plus Gold Edition bulbs
K&N Air Filter.
Personalised plate.

The replacement; Summit White Astra (J) GTC VXR

Post Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:17 pm

Mine triggers at slightly different speeds (digital readout). Like I said before you can nudge 100 and it not be there if you creep up slowly but increase speed more quickly and it pops up sooner. Would be interested to see the software logic diagram for its operation.

As for whether the car needs it as much as a țt or boxer well, I can't think of any reason to spend time and money to design the thing, increased cost in manufacture and more things to go wrong if there wasnt a real need for it.

Or perhaps Peugeot just wanted to build a male car that visually got more excited the faster it went!!!

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:28 am
stu1epugrcz Regular
Regular

Kudos: 15
comes up at about 50mph and drops back down at 30 mph.

at 90mph it goes to stage 2 high level. and at about 115 ish it will drop down completely to stop the front of the car lifting. the wonders of aero design

Next

Return to Exterior