Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Exterior front end removal with sensor swap?

front end removal with sensor swap?

Body panels, spoiler, wipers, mirrors and windows, feline pack etc

Post Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:59 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

Kudos: 193
Hi all,
this is bugging me, I have just bought an R to replace my R, nice you might say or daft, anyway this is whats bugging me....

The old R has factory front sensors, the new one has after market front sensors fitted by Peugeot with a button in the car to activate / de-activate..

The cars are both Artic white.

Can I either take the sensors and swap them from car to car, then maybe update the ECU / BSI, OR
swap over the front bumpers complete with sensors and grill etc etc then update the ecu / bsi, or maybe you can swap ecu's ??

Anyone have an idea before I have to part with one? Thanks
:lol: Laugh and the whole world laughs with you.... or is that at you? :lol:

Post Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:50 pm
chrismac Newbie

Kudos: 3
I have looked at the official Peugeot docs, removing the front bumper seems quite straightforward. So is removing and replacing the parking sensors. 1.2 hours is the official labour time.

Sorry but I can't comment on the wiring/ecu/bsi issues, but if you have the time you could give it a try. If it all fails miserably you could just revert and put everything back as is.

PM me if you want the workshop manual details.

Post Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:33 pm
ONLY AEK User avatar

Kudos: 44
So why did you bought An r to replace your r?

Keep us updating with that im also interested to do it
Last edited by ONLY AEK on Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
thp 156 with 268hp!!!!!!!!

Post Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:35 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 843
I think I'm confused, but I'm not even sure about that :eusa-think:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:51 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 204
Hi Mick, if the original wiring for fron sensors was there then why didn't Peugeot just put genuine sensors in and have em wired in to the system using the screen? I recon if you remove the grill there isn't a point in the harness to couple sensors that's why they have used a stand alone unit. I'm tipping front sensors would have had to be ordered with purchase of new R and not retro fit in other words factory fitted so either way I don't think it's doable :eusa-think:

I actually don't think they look bad most manufacturers sensors look the same. :beer:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:52 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

I have changed the R for a newer model and blank canvas so to speak.
My wife bought me a 15 number plate not realising the age restriction, the other r is on a 14, that's the main reason.
This car was close to us and with only 5k miles, it's just the crappy front sensors, much prefer to have the factory front sensors which are incorporated into the display along with the rear.

I thought since both cars are white and both r's, then it should be straight forward. Cant seem to get an answer and the guy I know who repairs ecu's said he doesn't want to do it !!

So, I thought I would put it to the great followers on here for some words of wisdom!

Do you think I'm wasting my time trying , I can't hold onto the car for to long the misses wants it gone.? ?

Post Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:59 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

neilgsxr69 wrote:
Hi Mick, if the original wiring for front sensors was there then why didn't Peugeot just put genuine sensors in and have em wired in to the system using the screen? I recon if you remove the grill there isn't a point in the harness to couple sensors that's why they have used a stand alone unit. I'm tipping front sensors would have had to be ordered with purchase of new R and not retro fit in other words factory fitted so either way I don't think it's doable :eusa-think:

I actually don't think they look bad most manufacturers sensors look the same. :beer:

That's a good point Neil, it maybe down to the actual bumper being prepared in the factory in another mold or robotically drilled ready for the sensors, something which cannot obviously be replicated outside of the factory, or at least not easily, so they fit these huge bulbous ones instead.

I might have to let it go ( not the car - the issue lol ) seems its going to be more hassle, I just thought it would be easy, transfer all the gear from one to the other.
Ah well.

Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:00 pm
tianorth User avatar

Kudos: 319
It all depends on what equipment you vehicles have.

The parking sensor ecu is in the rear left and there are 2 numbers.

I've looked into this as I wanted front sensors on my RCZ-R to be same as my HDi.

Basically 1 unit has rear sensors only and the other has front and rear sensors.

Think this is the one for 8 sensors.

Tia2 is a 2013 RCZ Magnetic in Black with a 2litre diesel engine
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights, quad exhaust tips
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights
Both have dash cams front and back

Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:05 pm
tianorth User avatar

This is the one from my RCZ-R

Only rear sensors

The difference is the ecu part number
8 sensors 16 097 323 80
4 sensors 16 097 322 80
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp

Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:42 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

If the car was supplied with only the 4 sensor unit will there be connections in the harness for the front sensors? That's the question :eusa-think:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:36 pm
tianorth User avatar

I think yes but would require the front sub harness for the sensors to connect to

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:39 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

Thanks Chris and Neil and everyone else for input, but if what Chris is saying is true, does it matter because all the gear is in my original R, ie. wiring / sensors / ecu brackets etc etc. so just take out of this car and fit in the other car, surely?

The box and wiring doesn't know which car it came from, everything to get it to work is fitted in one car, and everything to get the aftermarket ones working is in the other car. How hard can it be, Peugeot doesn't want to tell me and the ecu guy I know can't be bothered... last time I go to him lol

Any mechs out there who have done this, I find it puzzling if I m the only one to research this.

Thanks for your help guys, keep the suggestions coming !!

Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:42 pm
tianorth User avatar

The BSI might need reprogramming for front sensors.

Can be done with PP2000 if needed.

Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:12 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

tianorth wrote:
The BSI might need reprogramming for front sensors.

Can be done with PP2000 if needed.

Is that like the OBD2 Data link that connects through the data port Chris and if yes do you have one?

Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:04 pm
tianorth User avatar

PP2000 is pc software with a usb lead to the obd2 port.

Yes I have one.

Post Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:23 am
Plecodoras User avatar

Chris you are bang on :clap:

Just come of the phone to peugeot near me and after the guy in parts told me that there is not another to fit my z, when I gave him the reg, he relented and said yes that fits as well !! ( rodney your a p....r comes to mind ! )

These are the current prices ;

8 sensor ECU part number 16 097 323 80 £181.20 + VAT

4 sensor ECU part number 16 097 322 80 £148.27 + VAT

He did say in his favour that they would need programming to set them up. Which if you think about it - these are already setup to an RCZ R so the distances etc should be the same.

I am spending Saturday checking the car out and maybe taking apart front ends - wish me luck . :?

:beer:

Post Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:44 am
2retro User avatar

Kudos: 387

Post Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:57 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

2retro wrote:

You must know me !!!

Yes something is bound to go wrong - but I hope not, and if I do this then I will be able to help with the knowledge base on the forum - so everyone's a winner.

Well everyone who wants to attempt this is! :thumbup:

:beer:

Post Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:47 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Good luck Mick fingers crossed :thumbup: if you need a hand I'm available Sunday.
Just remember it's only like a big mechano set! :beer:

Post Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:44 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

neilgsxr69 wrote:
Good luck Mick fingers crossed :thumbup: if you need a hand I'm available Sunday.
Just remember it's only like a big meccano set! :beer:

Thanks Neil,

Only problem there whenever I got my meccano set out to build a car it looked like a hose on wheels !!

Decided after an afternoon I need some safety bits - a pair of ramps wouldn't go a miss, ive got the axle stands but you all know how difficult the jacking is !! :beer:

Next

Return to Exterior