Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Interior Rear view mirror too dark

Rear view mirror too dark

Leather, seats, dash, aircon, heaters & strange noises

Post Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:51 pm
PeterRCZ Member

Kudos: 16
It might be me, but I find when the rear view mirror auto tints it gets way too dark

Anyone else notice this ? I presume it can't be adjusted ?
Original classic GT
Pearl White
Onyx Black Solstice alloys,
Sat Nav
Black leather
Auto

Post Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:11 pm
donnaj1dlh User avatar

Kudos: 424
Just have to get used to it! Thank gawd for reversing sensors when it's dark....... :eusa-whistle:
Celebrated the birth of a "bog standard" Amber Red 2.0 HDi GT RCZ............born on 01 Oct 11
.... staying faithful to the brand:
2011 RCZ HDi GT, Amber Red
2006 207 HDi GT, Lacerta Yellow
2000 306 HDi DTurbo, China Blue
1998 306 DTurbo, Silver
and then I went and bought a Volcanic Orange Mini Cooper S, born 14Jun14 ... 'kin meong.......

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:59 am
Abzynthe User avatar

Kudos: 1019

PeterRCZ wrote:
It might be me, but I find when the rear view mirror auto tints it gets way too dark

Anyone else notice this ? I presume it can't be adjusted ?

Its supposed to be the same as the old flip mirrors. When you flipped it, all you could see was the white dots of headlights behind you.
Its easy to get used to, but I have noticed it is very sensitive.

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:37 am
mrizzle User avatar

Kudos: 1570

donnaj1dlh wrote:
Just have to get used to it! Thank gawd for reversing sensors when it's dark....... :eusa-whistle:

Is it just me that's more concerned about how difficult it is to spot police cars marked and unmarked from dusk 'til dawn?! :o
Former owner of: Dolphin Blue 156 GT, feline kit (black mesh grille and quad exhausts)
Black Onyx Solstice Alloys
380/360 led drls.
Osram Nightbreaker Plus Gold Edition bulbs
K&N Air Filter.
Personalised plate.

The replacement; Summit White Astra (J) GTC VXR

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:22 pm
mrizzle User avatar

Snowy87 wrote:
This is definately not one of Peugeots greatest extras. In fact it is quite dangerous as you cannot see cyclists or other road users in traffic. :thumbdown:

Completely agree. You should be able to override it.
Former owner of: Dolphin Blue 156 GT, feline kit (black mesh grille and quad exhausts)
380/360 led drls.
K&N Air Filter.
Personalised plate.

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:59 pm
PeterRCZ Member

Completely agree with snowy87

You could disable it by sticking a little black electrical tape over the sensor just below the mirror I guess that would keep it in non tint mode permanently
Original classic GT
Pearl White
Sat Nav
Black leather
Auto

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:12 pm
Jimbrodie1 Senior Member

Kudos: 69
I think you'll find that if you put tape on it, it will think it is dark all of the time and so will be in dark tint mode all of the time making it worse.

However I may be wrong :?:

Must say my wife hates it. However it doesn't bother me as I'm usually more interested in what's in front of me than what's behind me :D :D

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:15 pm
RCZ1 User avatar

Kudos: 1393
Jimbrodie1 wrote:
I think you'll find that if you put tape on it, it will think it is dark all of the time and so will be in dark tint mode all of the time making it worse.

However I may be wrong :?:

Must say my wife hates it. However it doesn't bother me as I'm usually more interested in what's in front of me than what's behind me :D :D

I agree with Jim. It doesn't bother me :)
Mk 2 Sport 156 Moroccan Red Bespoke Nappa leather
Black Roof Arches Sports Pack Sat Nav K&N Filter Philips Diamond Vision lights

RCZ Sport 156 in Pearl White Bespoke Nappa leather interior with RCZ motif
K & N High Performance Air Filter 360/60 LED DRLs Phillips Extreme +100% Headlights Custom Car Mats

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:48 pm
PeterRCZ Member

I would have thought the tape would fool the mirror into thinking its dark and In turn it would not tint any further. I'll have a go and let you know my results
Original classic GT
Pearl White
Sat Nav
Black leather
Auto

Post Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:27 pm
PeterRCZ Member

Okay tried it out and here are my findings. Stick your thumb over the sensor and the mirror lightens. So there's the solution !
No not your thumb ! Use some electrical tape lol
Original classic GT
Pearl White
Sat Nav
Black leather
Auto

Post Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:29 pm
dand87 User avatar

Kudos: 157
This really has never bothered me, in fact, I've never even noticed an issue. Need to try this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Weekday - High Speed 1.
Weekend - Pearl White RCZ GT with Onyx Black Solstice alloys, feline kit, NG4, K&N air filter, tinted rear 1/4's, LED DRL's/interior lights, Phillips Extreme Vision and private plate.
Dodgy car parks - the missus' Black Fiesta MK 7 Tdci Zetec S w/Street Pack.

Post Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:05 pm
mrizzle User avatar

PeterRCZ wrote:
Okay tried it out and here are my findings. Stick your thumb over the sensor and the mirror lightens. So there's the solution !
No not your thumb ! Use some electrical tape lol

Top testing..now we just need something a little more aesthetically pleasing than electrical tape.
380/360 led drls.
K&N Air Filter.
Personalised plate.

Post Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:20 pm
PeterRCZ Member

Put a tiny piece of black electrical tape over the mirror sensor today. Looks fine, barely noticeable at all
Definitely worth doing if you find the auto tint too sensitive :thumbup:
Original classic GT
Pearl White
Sat Nav
Black leather
Auto

Post Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:49 pm
Figo User avatar

Kudos: 231

If you use some of that "Smoked lens" stuff for wrapping rear lights it decreases the sensitivity a lot.
Image <---- Give it a click *Updated 19/03/14*

THE OWNERSHIP THREAD - LETS BE HEARD!

Post Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:51 am
p3ncilcase User avatar

Regular
Regular

Kudos: 0

I think the issue only comes up as the rear window is already slightly tinted. This makes it look even darker, I would assume without this the setting would be fine as is. Simple oversight during implementation :)
I will also go for the tape today, thanks for the tip :)
Yesterday I was schizophrenic, today we are feeling fine.

Post Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:58 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 813
Never noticed it, nothin ever catches me up :auto-car:

Just sayin :eusa-whistle:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:27 am
mistral_blue Senior Member

Kudos: 82
I agree, it is one of the 2 things I'd change about the car (other thing is adding a heated front screen). All it needs is a simple on/off switch so you can disable the auto dim... I like to be able to cx for police cars etc and it also makes depth perception harder when joining the motorway etc... Much nicer to be able to switch it, something which both my Jag and Octy allow...!

Bet it could be modified with a switch to remove power if you could get into it... :eusa-think:
Peugeot RCZ 1.6 THP 200 GT - Zunsport Quads, Footrest, Boot Tray, Phillips +100% H7s, K&N Panel filter
Jaguar XKR 4.0 (modified >400BHP)

Skoda Octavia 2.0 vRS Estate

Looking for the RCZ Workshop Manual? See HERE & HERE | Link to Weekly checks & Interim Service guide HERE

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:31 pm
gman76 Regular
Regular

Kudos: 2
I also find this quite annoying at night, just sorted mine out tonight.

Grab the whole neck of the mirror where it enters the plastic box on the windscreen and twist it anticlockwise as you look up at it (it's a bayonet mounting). This does require reasonable force.
Lower mirror assembly down & disconnect the three wire multi-plug, tuck this neatly into the hole out of the way.
Replace the mirror assembly the reverse of removal, note that the mirror must engage with the triangular nut on the glass, not just the plastic trim - this requires some effort!

All fixed now - no dimming at all.

Post Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:23 pm
thornebt User avatar

Kudos: 15
gman76 wrote:
I also find this quite annoying at night, just sorted mine out tonight.

Grab the whole neck of the mirror where it enters the plastic box on the windscreen and twist it anticlockwise as you look up at it (it's a bayonet mounting). This does require reasonable force.
Lower mirror assembly down & disconnect the three wire multi-plug, tuck this neatly into the hole out of the way.
Replace the mirror assembly the reverse of removal, note that the mirror must engage with the triangular nut on the glass, not just the plastic trim - this requires some effort!

All fixed now - no dimming at all.

Thanks. That's a top tip - sounds better than sticking tape on the screen. I also find the dimmed mirror too dark. It's just about the only feature I don't like on the RCZ.

Return to Interior