Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Interior RCZ Dashbord

RCZ Dashbord

Leather, seats, dash, aircon, heaters & strange noises

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:14 pm
LasseRcz User avatar

Kudos: 4
My Rcz is a little over 3 years and the leather has begun to drop at the instrument panel, see picture. Is anyone else who has got the same error as I have, or have I met a few Rcz with bad leather or poor build quality. Could it because Rcz not tolerate the Swedish climate? I would like some advice what to do about it.
Attachments
WP_20130709_005(2).jpg
WP_20130709_005(2).jpg (171.25 KiB) Viewed 3808 times
Red RCZ R

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:21 pm
RCZ1 User avatar

Kudos: 1482
I've heard if this happening in the early days of the RCZ, on some cars. Some were in the UK so I don't know if the climate is to blame or whether it's a manufacturing /factory problem that something, somewhere in the process was not doe correctly.
Mk 2 Sport 156 Moroccan Red Bespoke Nappa leather
Black Roof Arches Sports Pack Sat Nav K&N Filter Philips Diamond Vision lights

RCZ Sport 156 in Pearl White Bespoke Nappa leather interior with RCZ motif
K & N High Performance Air Filter 360/60 LED DRLs Phillips Extreme +100% Headlights Custom Car Mats

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:18 pm
jactac User avatar

Kudos: 508
Mine is coming up to 3 years old, and the "leather" dash is as tight as a drum :thumbup:
RCZ 156 GT
Opal White,
NG4 Sat Nav, Latest firmware/Maps/Speed cameras
Interior Sport Kit,
Onyx Black Solstice 19's,
Front RCZ Splitters
Phillips H7's Diamond Vision/Phillips X-treme vision
380/360 Led DLR's
Paint & Interior leather protection

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:44 pm
LasseRcz User avatar

Do you use leather cream? I'll submit my car for leather manipulation. I've put on weight during the night to tighten the leather out there but the one that has come off appears that it has lost the mount. I hope the leather manipulation soften the leather enough. The bad is that there is nothing in the user manual how Peugeot think how to take care of the leather for it to stay in a good way. Putting on weight feels like a temporary solution, want to have it fixed in a good way.
Attachments
WP_20131227_15_00_07_Pro(2).jpg
WP_20131227_15_00_07_Pro(2).jpg (157.23 KiB) Viewed 3783 times
Red RCZ R

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:55 pm
jassyo06 Senior Member

Kudos: 743
That looks like the faux leather dashboard

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:05 pm
RCZ1 User avatar

I use a leather cleaner and protectant kit on my faux leather.

The handbook says to clean with a damp cloth. The kit I use, Furniture Clinic, is water based so is not going to harm it.
On my second RCZ and have used this kit on both without any problems and keeps it looking like new.

K & N High Performance Air Filter 360/60 LED DRLs Phillips Extreme +100% Headlights Custom Car Mats

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:41 pm
jactac User avatar

I give mine a wipe over with a clean damp cloth, just as advised. :eusa-think:
No problems to date. :thumbup:
RCZ 156 GT
Opal White,
Interior Sport Kit,
Front RCZ Splitters
380/360 Led DLR's

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:03 pm
Jimbrodie1 Senior Member

Kudos: 69
There can be a number of reasons for this happening:

i) The leather panels will be cut by machine (probably a gurber) the material can move on the machine and is not always a perfect shape. Then when the 2 panels are sewn together this can create a tight point, which during manufacture can be stretched and stuck down with the application of additional heat. Then over time as the moisture and temperature changes affect the leather it looses adhesion and will come away. The glue will have gone off too much now so the addition of heat which deactivates the glue in the early days will not work.

ii) The glue is mixed and only has a short usage period. If it is incorrectly mixed or it is left to long the adhesion strength is compromised. This also over time with changes of temperature and humidity will cause the glue to fail and the leather will move.

iii) The glue must also be mixed and stored between certain temperatures and again if this is not adhered too the same effect is experienced as described above.

iv) The glue is applied to both surfaces and if the operator does not apply it correctly you can get heavy areas and light areas of cover again this can and will cause the same effect over time as described above.

I don't believe there is any other permanent fix for this than re trimming the whole panel. A less scrupulous dealer may try injecting some adhesive through the seam and try with heat to stick it back down. But I doubt this would last long as a fix. But may be worth a try :eusa-think: as the car will now be out of warranty you may want (if it bothers you that much) to take to a vehicle trim shop and see what they can do.

If you are anywhere near Nantwich in Cheshire I can put you onto someone who will fix it for you :thumbup:

Post Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:00 am
LasseRcz User avatar

What i think about is whether it will release more in more places if the vehicle is in the sun. It's not always i find a parking lot that has shade. This probably would have happened sooner or later, given that the leather is pushed down and glued. Hope i do not have to replace the entire dashboard after a few years, which can be expensive.
Red RCZ R

Post Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:53 pm
frankvdb User avatar

Kudos: 81
LasseRcz wrote:
What i think about is whether it will release more in more places if the vehicle is in the sun. It's not always i find a parking lot that has shade. This probably would have happened sooner or later, given that the leather is pushed down and glued. Hope i do not have to replace the entire dashboard after a few years, which can be expensive.

Simply put something in front of the window to block the sun :?: :ugeek:
My car history:
2010 Peugeot RCZ HDi 163hp blue tuanake full options
2001 Peugeot 307 3-door XSi HDi 110hp blue recife
1995 Peugeot 306 3-door XNd 70hp rouge analou

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:03 am
jactac User avatar

I appreciate why you say to "block the sun" .
But WHY should we have to protect against poor workmanship/qaulity in the first place, on a 3 year old car :eusa-think:
RCZ 156 GT
Opal White,
Interior Sport Kit,
Front RCZ Splitters
380/360 Led DLR's

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:24 am
frankvdb User avatar

Kudos: 81
jactac wrote:
I appreciate why you say to "block the sun" .
But WHY should we have to protect against poor workmanship/qaulity in the first place, on a 3 year old car :eusa-think:

In the summer I use a cardboard fold-out sun shade for the front window.
The main reason is so that the interior doesn't heat up too much but also so that the UV light doesn't make the colors fade.
I agree it shouldn't be needed though, but for your own comfort in hot days I'd always use a shade.
My car history:
2010 Peugeot RCZ HDi 163hp blue tuanake full options
2001 Peugeot 307 3-door XSi HDi 110hp blue recife
1995 Peugeot 306 3-door XNd 70hp rouge analou

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:02 am
jactac User avatar

Yes I would agree its a good idea to use a shade on hot sunny days for interior comfort and to protect to dash from fading :thumbup:

I also think that any problem with sagging on the "leather" dash is down to poor quality workmanship at the manufacturing stage , and we not should have to go to these lengths if the problem is down to a manufacturing fault. :thumbdown:
RCZ 156 GT
Opal White,
Interior Sport Kit,
Front RCZ Splitters
380/360 Led DLR's

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:56 pm
Jimbrodie1 Senior Member

Kudos: 69
I would expect if you have a half reasonable dealer they will fix this as a warranty issue. Especially if you bought the car from a dealer. Even though your car may be out of the official warranty period, the issue has clearly not been caused through neglect or abuse by you.

That is certainly what I would be trying. Good luck.

Post Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:55 pm
LasseRcz User avatar

There is a 2 year warranty and Peugeot dealer does not want to take care of it if the car is a little more than 3 years old, even if it's wrong from the factory. I will use sun sade in summer.
Red RCZ R

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:42 am

Kudos: 0
Hey guys,
I am JK and I am a newcomer to the forum. I like the RCZ a lot, and now I am thninking seriously about getting the new R. It looks fantastic in pictures and I am sure the real thing is super too!
The only reservation I have about ordering the R, is that I live in Cyprus (..the island southeast of Greece..) and down here the whether half of the year is hot hot hot! I will go over 40 celcius for several days. Although I am planning to have the car parked in the garage, it will have to get out sometimes under the sun ! The problem with that is the leather dashboard of the R. Following the various posts on the forum about possible problems relating to the direct sunlight, I am really having difficulty with proceeding with the order. Is it really inevitable that at some point the dashboard will start having problems and wear out ?? I appreciate all advice I can get !
Thanks!

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:41 pm
RCZ1 User avatar

It's only isolated cases where this has happened. Don't let what you read on a forum put you off buying the car. Yours could be and probably will be, perfectly fine :)

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:51 pm
MaX83 User avatar

Kudos: 215
YiannosYiannos wrote:
Hey guys,
I am JK and I am a newcomer to the forum. I like the RCZ a lot, and now I am thninking seriously about getting the new R. It looks fantastic in pictures and I am sure the real thing is super too!
The only reservation I have about ordering the R, is that I live in Cyprus (..the island southeast of Greece..) and down here the whether half of the year is hot hot hot! I will go over 40 celcius for several days. Although I am planning to have the car parked in the garage, it will have to get out sometimes under the sun ! The problem with that is the leather dashboard of the R. Following the various posts on the forum about possible problems relating to the direct sunlight, I am really having difficulty with proceeding with the order. Is it really inevitable that at some point the dashboard will start having problems and wear out ?? I appreciate all advice I can get !
Thanks!

12 month ownership in south africa with no problems. Car is garaged at night but unfortunately parked in the sun during the day. We use a sun shield and have had no issues with the dash.

Current: 2013 Peugeot 308 GTI THP 200
2013 BMW 328i(A) F30 M-Sport

Ex: 2013 Peugeot RCZ THP 200
2011 Citroen C4 THP 155
2008 Peugeot 207 GT THP 150

Post Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:59 pm
LasseRcz User avatar

Peugeot RCZ: common problems and solutions

Interior leather sagging

Problem: It is a common problem on the RCZ for the leather on the dashboard to sag, particularly around the air vents. This is caused by the direct sunlight.

Solution: This is a very expensive repair, but may still be covered under warranty.

http://www.breakeryard.com/peugeot-car- ... eugeot-rcz
Red RCZ R

Post Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:13 pm
OO58RON User avatar

Kudos: 893
LasseRcz wrote:
Peugeot RCZ: common problems and solutions

Interior leather sagging

Problem: It is a common problem on the RCZ for the leather on the dashboard to sag, particularly around the air vents. This is caused by the direct sunlight.

Solution: This is a very expensive repair, but may still be covered under warranty.

http://www.breakeryard.com/peugeot-car- ... eugeot-rcz

No it is not a common problem
RCZ is the only car to make the Audi TT appear dated, and is officially the sexiest car on the road.

Return to Interior