Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Interior Insulate wheel arches

Insulate wheel arches

Leather, seats, dash, aircon, heaters & strange noises

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:52 am
Anders55 Newbie

Kudos: 2
Hi all lucky RCZ owners.

It is a well known problem with noise from the wheels on RCZ.

Has anyone thougt of insulating the rear wheel arches to reduce the noise from there?
It should not be to difficult to do that on the inside, I think.

Grateful for thoughts about this topic.

Anders

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:26 am
RCZ1 User avatar

Kudos: 1494
Road noise can vary depending on the tyre you have on the car. Continentals give more road noise than others. The rear wheel arches are carpet lined for insulation. To be honest I don’t notice the tyre noise. I had convertibles before the RCZ so the car is very quiet indeed compared to those.
Mk 2 Sport 156 Moroccan Red Bespoke Nappa leather
Black Roof Arches Sports Pack Sat Nav K&N Filter Philips Diamond Vision lights

RCZ Sport 156 in Pearl White Bespoke Nappa leather interior with RCZ motif
K & N High Performance Air Filter 360/60 LED DRLs Phillips Extreme +100% Headlights Custom Car Mats

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:49 am
Anders55 Newbie

Yes RCZ1. You are right of course.

I have 19" and Continental. Not perfect for noise reduction I guess.

I also drove convertible recently. Changed from Miata to the RCZ. I agree that RCZ is soundless in comparison.

However, I will use the RCZ for longer trips than I used to with the Miata. Therefore I thought about the insulation.

It might also be the comparison with my 508 SW, (extremely quiet) that makes me think of the noise.

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:52 pm
2retro User avatar

Kudos: 577
Just turn up the stereo! 8-) :thumbup:

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:10 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 649
Or better still get a custom exhaust and you definitely won’t hear the road noise! :D
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:08 am
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 1198
I just tend to drive so fast, the noise can’t catch up to me :eusa-think: :eusa-whistle: :wtf:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:21 am
stewartwillsher User avatar

Kudos: 315
DKZ5745 wrote:
I just tend to drive so fast, the noise can’t catch up to me :eusa-think: :eusa-whistle: :wtf:

I have a friend whose present company transport shifts such that the sound is left behind, for others to cope with. :twisted:
Ooops, I'll say no more than F35B. :eusa-shhh:
I kid you not!
memories + imagination = dreams
Fun: "La Gata Negra" - All black (Haria) 2.0 HDI 2014 Swiss spec fully loaded.
Runabout: "Purple People Eater" - Purple 108 1.2 PureTech 2016 Top fully loaded.
Workhorse: "Ounce" - White Jag X-Type Estate 2.2D 2009 Executive auto.
Sack shifter: "Animal" - Dirty Linhai 300 4x4 ATV 2007.

Post Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:59 am
Gordonmd Regular
Regular

Kudos: 5
I looked at all the stick on insulator mats after I bought my THP200 15 months ago because it is noisy. I ended up doing nothing as there is so much conflicting and confusing info about sound deadening vs vibration damping. If someone has a good answer please tell us. I didnt want to buy one product and find out it was wrong

Post Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:29 pm
Anders55 Newbie

Thank you all for your creative suggestions. :clap:

Removing the interior to do something about the noise seem to be more complicated than I could cope with.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10771
Thank you for a good guide, that convinced me not to do that.

However, from the hatches in the boot you can put some more insulation on the arches, without removing the panels.
I think I will try that, but I am not sure it will do any difference. Acustic problems are complicated as you say Gordonmd.
The cost is minor, and maybe the placebo effect is good enough for me. If it is not, I will go for the stereo turn up alternative. F35B is a bit above my budget, and custom exhaust is not the best for my diesel.

Post Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:59 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 649
Seriously :D it just goes to show how different we owners are most want to make their cars louder and even Peugeot tried to make the 200 louder increasing the intake noise into the cabin via some rubber tubing!

And then there are owners who think they are too loud and want to make the ride quieter, I personally think as standard the RCZ is a very quiet ride, the only thing I can think is that some owners have not owned cars with such large tires and it’s just the road noise from those tires that you can hear, looking around for some lower decibel tires may be an option.
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:09 pm
stewartwillsher User avatar

Kudos: 315
If you have hyperacusis and tinnitus (and yes, I have both) then all noise, including that emanating from within, is undesirable. :thumbdown:
But silence is impossible, 24/7! :twisted:
Hey, ho! :beer:
memories + imagination = dreams
Fun: "La Gata Negra" - All black (Haria) 2.0 HDI 2014 Swiss spec fully loaded.
Runabout: "Purple People Eater" - Purple 108 1.2 PureTech 2016 Top fully loaded.
Workhorse: "Ounce" - White Jag X-Type Estate 2.2D 2009 Executive auto.
Sack shifter: "Animal" - Dirty Linhai 300 4x4 ATV 2007.

Return to Interior