Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension Which tyres

Which tyres

inc spare tyres & tyre pressure

Post Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:58 am
dormz Regular
Regular

Kudos: 2
RCZ-R wrote:
Compared to the very very old Conti 3 the P Zero is a great tyre. Without any doubt. I had them too.
But compared to GoodYear Assy 2 or the newer 3 version, I'd pick them over the Pirellis anytime. The P Zero offers way too more grip for the RCZ's chassis. Wear off is also a problem on those. Yes, the GY also wears off quickly but not as quickly as those Pirellis. But the biggest issue with the Pirelli is the wet grip when tread goes below 4mm. Very tricky. Opposite to that you can have those GYs which perform in wet absolutely safe even with as low as 2mm of tread.
Also the overall balance of the car on those GYs improves(no matter if tackling B roads at high pace or ploughing through hispeed corners on autobahns at 155mph). Been there, done that many times.
I had Pirelli P zero, Pirelli winter tyres, Michelin PSS and GY Assy 2 on the RCZ and I would always pick the GYs. Conti 3 are such an old tyre there is no need to compare it to the newer one.

Thanks RCZ-R. Good advice.

Out of interest (and without meaning to sound like a complete novice), how would I know if I'm being sold the old conti 3 tyre and not the new one please?

Post Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:54 pm
ONLY AEK User avatar

Kudos: 44
dormz wrote:
ONLY AEK wrote:
Pirelli p-zero c,a,68

Can you publish a link to this rating please? Cant seem to find it.

Perhaps this is'nt the NERO version....?

No it is not the nero version
its a new facelift version of the clasic p zero
i have them about 3 or 4 weeks now
i have a picture but not with the best quality
https://imageshack.com/i/pottrKDqj
thp 156 with 268hp!!!!!!!!

Post Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:04 pm
tianorth User avatar

Kudos: 319
dormz wrote:
RCZ-R wrote:
Compared to the very very old Conti 3 the P Zero is a great tyre. Without any doubt. I had them too.
But compared to GoodYear Assy 2 or the newer 3 version, I'd pick them over the Pirellis anytime. The P Zero offers way too more grip for the RCZ's chassis. Wear off is also a problem on those. Yes, the GY also wears off quickly but not as quickly as those Pirellis. But the biggest issue with the Pirelli is the wet grip when tread goes below 4mm. Very tricky. Opposite to that you can have those GYs which perform in wet absolutely safe even with as low as 2mm of tread.
Also the overall balance of the car on those GYs improves(no matter if tackling B roads at high pace or ploughing through hispeed corners on autobahns at 155mph). Been there, done that many times.
I had Pirelli P zero, Pirelli winter tyres, Michelin PSS and GY Assy 2 on the RCZ and I would always pick the GYs. Conti 3 are such an old tyre there is no need to compare it to the newer one.

Thanks RCZ-R. Good advice.

Out of interest (and without meaning to sound like a complete novice), how would I know if I'm being sold the old conti 3 tyre and not the new one please?

There is a conti 5 now, also there is a dot mark which is 4 numbers the first 2 digits are the week, the second 2 digits are the year.
Eg 4315 =week 43 of 2015 (19th- 25th October 2015) for when the tyre was manufactured.

Very left of this picture.

In this picture it's at 3 o'clock.

Tia2 is a 2013 RCZ Magnetic in Black with a 2litre diesel engine
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights, quad exhaust tips
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights
Both have dash cams front and back

Post Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:43 pm
dormz Regular
Regular

Kudos: 2
So, turns out that Uniroyals are hard to get hold of. National tyre have offered me Conti Sport Contact 5 FR XL for £150 (inc flitting) so I'm booked in for Wednesday.

I've read all the write ups on the contact 5 FR XL and all sounds great on paper but does anyone have experience of them please?

From what I've read the contact 3 is an all round tyre which doesn't exceed in 1 specific area, whereas the contact 5 is sport specific for cornering and handling in wet.

Post Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:55 pm
philmullally User avatar

Regular
Regular

Kudos: 7
Anyone tried the Michelin CrossClimate 235/45Y18 (98) particularly on a 2.0HDi? Any feedback would be appreciated

Post Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:57 am
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 843
So, the Hankook S1 Evo's I put on last year have lasted @ 10k. Maybe the tyres, probably my driving.

I need 2 new boots on the front (remarkably the rears are still the original contis and still showing good tread).

I asked at my local National Tyre Centre about Goodyear assys, and he didn't recommend them for my car. He said if it was his, he wouldn't put anything on there except Michelin PIlot 4S. He went on to explain the wire support built in, saying on the Goodyear this only covers the centre two thirds of the tread, and on the Michelin, it covers the entire tread.
He said on narrower tyres this wouldn't be as much of a problem as on wider tyres.

He didn't stock either the Goodyears or the Michelin, but could get hold of either, so I don't think this was a marketing ploy, more of just an honest opinion.

Price wise, I can get the Michelins (pilot 4s) fitted for £193 per corner. The Goodyears are £169 each fitted, so nearly £50 cheaper for 2.

I've seen a video review of the MPSS vs MP 4S and it appears that the new 4s is much improved over what was already a great tyre, so I think I am going to go down that route.

I know both these are favoured on here, with performance & noise being very similar. I wondered which would likely have better wear off, cos I can't see me changing my driving style while I own the Z.

On a side note...
The Pirelli P Zero Nero are £156 the Conti 5 is £180.
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:02 pm
ONLY AEK User avatar

Kudos: 44
i am very satisfied from my choise of pirelli p zero (not nero)

great handling on wet surface great handling when cold and less noise than conti

the only negative is that they are a little hard on a bad road
thp 156 with 268hp!!!!!!!!

Previous

Return to Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension