Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension Which Brake Discs? Cheap or Expensive?

Which Brake Discs? Cheap or Expensive?

inc spare tyres & tyre pressure

Post Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:45 am
thornebt User avatar

Kudos: 16
Although I haven't got the micrometer on my brake discs to measure wear but I think they seem worn and probably in need of replacement soon. I would prefer to do this myself as I can source them cheaply and save a fortune on Peugeot replacing them at MOT time.

Euro Car Parts have rear discs available at £16.75 each for Eicher or £77.60 for ATE. Does anyone know if there is much difference in the quality or expected life of cheap versus expensive brake discs?

lee055 User avatar

Kudos: 164
the only rule i go with is that when it comes to things like brakes cheapest is not the option i would go with :thumbdown:
HDI 2.0 GT
19" sortelige alloys (anthracite)
sports steering wheel
Alacantra gaiter
60 led DRL's
clutch rest plate
tinted rear quarter windows
RCZ R style gear knob (setting the trend)

Post Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:11 am
Abzynthe User avatar

Kudos: 1051

I would buy either the oem ones, whatever they are. And may be able to get them cheaper from the manufacturer rather than dealer.
Or, got for upgraded ones. I recently bought the black diamond discs. As mine is an early diesel, it only has the smaller discs at the front, so the upgrade gave them much better stopping power.

Post Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:23 am
thornebt User avatar

I just found this on Google:-

Higher quality discs have a higher carbon content making them less prone to rusting.
Some brands add treatments or coatings to prevent rust carbon, nitrogen, zinc), some companies offering stainless steel discs.
oem discs from the dealer are generally pretty good ime. parts discs are almost always cheap cr*p, even the likes of brembo supply price point products to the motor factors.

I think I will go for a reputable brand. No point in fitting cheap discs to have them warp or have a short life.

Post Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:20 am
thornebt User avatar

I think I've found some suitable discs but now need the front brake pads. Mintex pads on Ebay are only £22 for four pads but in the spec it says 'excl. wear warning contact'. Is this a problem? Do I need the wear warning contact or does the RCZ use a different type of wear warning?

Post Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:01 pm
hanswuk User avatar

Kudos: 165
Which RCZ have you got and what year?
Dolphin Blue GT 200

Post Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:16 pm
thornebt User avatar

2011 1.6 GT THP 156

stevebasshead User avatar

Kudos: 326
Just to muddy the waters a little, I was told by a local motor factors about 5 years ago that an EU law change had come in that said that all brake components sold in Europe had to be manufactured to within 5% of manufactures oem.

Now whether this is true or not I'm unsure, does anyone know? Have to say it would be a bloody sensible law...but that would be a first for the EU :P

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Kev Senior Member

Kudos: 24
The standard discs on my 63 plate gt are brembo there stamped around the disc lip so I would go with them there 9 months old and no rust.
63 plate gt face lift k&n filter upgraded headlamp bulbs light leather orange led mood lighting brembo brake covers Peugeot hologram door entry lights nitrogen gas in tyres.ez lip splitter gt badges nitro plus fuel only.

hanswuk User avatar

stevebasshead wrote:
Just to muddy the waters a little, I was told by a local motor factors about 5 years ago that an EU law change had come in that said that all brake components sold in Europe had to be manufactured to within 5% of manufactures oem.

Now whether this is true or not I'm unsure, does anyone know? Have to say it would be a bloody sensible law...but that would be a first for the EU :P

This applies to pads only (not discs yet) and it's 15%, so still quite a big gap on such a safety critical item. Also it doesn't take wear into account, just performance.
Last edited by hanswuk on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dolphin Blue GT 200

hanswuk User avatar

thornebt wrote:
2011 1.6 GT THP 156

May I suggest that you also look at GSF - http://www.gsfcarparts.com

You will find Bendix pads and discs (an OE manufacturer) or our own Vetech equivalents at a lower price. Don't forget that there is a 25% discount off the web prices at the moment. We also have an Ebay store.

If you need any further info let me know.
Last edited by hanswuk on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dolphin Blue GT 200

stevebasshead User avatar

Kudos: 326
hanswuk wrote:
stevebasshead wrote:

This applies to pads only (not discs) and it's 15%, so still quite a big gap on such a safety critical item. Also it doesn't take wear into account, just performance.

Ah, great to have the clarification, thanks. It's quite possible that the motor factor was more specific than I remember, but several years have passed and many of my brain cells are sadly no longer with us :D :D :D

It's a shame the laws weren't applied to all brake/safety components but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Post Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:57 am
the big blue Senior Member

Kudos: 202
Hi thomebt :greetings-wavingblue: ...if using Europarts go for the "PAGID" brand that are listed for the Z' and sold by them. They're original fitment for the manufacturers shown meaning you can't go wrong as all the leading German manufacturers, Aston Martin, Lamborghini etc wouldn't factory fit them if they weren't of good quality which puts them above the ATE that Europarts also sell for a lot dearer price for some reason!

I have purchased Pagid front and rear discs for my previous Celica and over two years later the hub part of the disc is still the same silver metal colour (no tarnish or rust) and the car was and is kept outside, The disc rotor is also in better condition than those of my Z' which is a bit annoying. Its a shame that the Z' doesn't come with Pagid as standard !

.the big blue (...trust me I'm a Forum back bencher :thumbup: Pagid all the way you won't go wrong, go google them too) :beer:

Post Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:14 am
thornebt User avatar

Hi the big blue. Thanks very much. It's good to get such a positive recommendation. I'd never really heard of Pagid until recently but all the reviews seem very good. I'll be buying Pagid discs and will probably go for the Mintex pads on Ebay as they are a good price and are a well known make. I was a bit confused that it said they came without wear indicators but I think this refers to a metal hook that scrapes against the disc when the pads wear down - and I can't see these on my pads anyway.

This job will be my first chance to try out the jacking aid that I bought from Ron recently - an indispensable bit of kit.

the big blue Senior Member

Kudos: 202
...No Pressure OO58RON ,,but it appears that 'thomebt' is about to really give the jacking aid a good workout as he pulls his Z' all over the place whilst jacked up as he replaces his discs ! Keep us informed as to how fitting your discs goes as I wonder how much Peugeot would charge all in for such a job??

OH' and you reminded me that i've got to send OO58RON the money for my 'jacking aid' which had slipped my mind :oops:

SORRY!

.the big blue (...hopefully OO58RON hasn't already advised the party whips of this debt owing Forum back bencher lest I be sat in front of a select committee and have my beloved Z' forfeited and given to Ron) :shock:

hanswuk User avatar

Pagid is a brand owned by a company called TMD who still are an OE (original equipment) supplier via their Textar brand (which is generally more expensive than Pagid). The OE contracts mentioned above with regard to the Pagid brand are historical. For the past few years I believe the Pagid brand has been licensed to ECP in the UK market and the content may therefore differ to what was the case years ago. I'm not commenting on whether it is good or not, just clarifying the OE situation.
Last edited by hanswuk on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dolphin Blue GT 200

thornebt User avatar

At the start of this topic I quoted the prices for rear discs by mistake as I actually need front discs. I can't find any Pagid front discs for RCZ anywhere. I've emailed Pagid to ask if they manufacture them so hopefully I will hear back from them on Monday. They have an online catalogue but it only shows rear discs. The search goes on.

hanswuk User avatar

I can only suggest again that you look at the GSF website. Front discs and pads are available from stock in two qualities! By the way the Bendix discs are coated/painted.
Dolphin Blue GT 200

Post Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:52 pm
thornebt User avatar

I looked at the GSF site just now but it only shows rear discs! No front discs.

hanswuk User avatar

GSF do fronts and rears. I'll get back to you either later today or tomorrow.
Dolphin Blue GT 200

Next

Return to Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension