Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension Replacing front Tyres is a pain

Replacing front Tyres is a pain

inc spare tyres & tyre pressure

Post Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:09 pm
OO58RON User avatar

Kudos: 893
Snowy87 wrote:
hanswuk wrote:
I must be driving mine wrong.....it's now done 25k miles on the original tyres.....

Wow, thats got to be a record Hans :clap:

Anyone beat that?

:beer:

I have done 36799 miles in my original beautiful Pearl2 and she wears the same boots that she arrived in
RCZ is the only car to make the Audi TT appear dated, and is officially the sexiest car on the road.

Post Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:30 pm
Abzynthe User avatar

Kudos: 1053

No chance from me. Ive had 4 sets of tyres since it was new with only 20k miles on the clock lol

Post Mon May 19, 2014 12:38 pm
jactac User avatar

Kudos: 508
Gorwell wrote:
Replaced front tyres on Wednesday - and had exactly the same problem that I had two years ago.
Not sure if it's just Swansea / Neath Tyre Fitters, although I had to take the car back on Friday.

Same problem as two years ago when I replaced the two front tyres.
The balancing was incorrect again, so when you got to 70mph, the steering wheel would wobble like a jelly.

Also, in a moment of not thinking, I let them check the tracking - BIG MISTAKE :text-blondmoment:
Unsurprisingly, the result was "It's out by 2 degrees."
Car was going in a straight line when I drove it into the Tyre Fitters.
Now it has a massive veer to the left.

Took it back and they re-did the Balancing and the Tracking.
Car okay now, although still not as good as it felt when I drove it in on the Wednesday with the low tread.

Is it just the Welsh Tyre Fitters or is this a common experience ??

Anyway, Swansea / Neath Tyre Fitters to avoid:

Kwik-Fit Neath
Harris Brothers Swansea
Phelps and Williams Swansea.

All of the above have messed up my balancing / tracking.

Car is an HDi, 2010 with 31k on the clock.
This is the 3rd set of front tyres this car has had (including the originals).

I won't miss the Tyre replacement on the RCZ that's for sure.

PS Anyone know any good Tyre Fitters in South Wales - am prepared to travel !!

Cheers.

Living in Swansea I have used 2 of the tyre fitters you have mentioned, Harris Brothers and Phelps & Williams on many occasions, but not for the RCZ.
I can recall taking my previous car back to Phelps & Williams after having tyres fitted to have them re-balanced, but Harris Brothers were fine.
One that I did go back to at least 3 times, because of balancing problems is Town Tyres, but when a different lad there decided to balance the wheels all was fine, so I think a lot is down to experience of the person doing the job.

I've recently had 2 front tyres fitted by Halfords and they were fine for the first week or so but now theres a very very slight tremble at around 70 mph, I've checked the weights and nothing has been thrown off, so I'm thinking maybe it's the tyres wearing in and I will just need to go back.

As for the tracking, mine wanders very slightly to the left, and has done since it was new, when I queried this with the dealer and various tyre fitters they all said it was the camber of the road, but I'm not so sure because when I recently changed the front tyres both were worn on the insides :eusa-think:

I think if you take your car to half a dozen different tyre fitters they will all come back with different calabrations of your balancing or tracking :roll:
RCZ 156 GT
Opal White,
NG4 Sat Nav, Latest firmware/Maps/Speed cameras
Interior Sport Kit,
Onyx Black Solstice 19's,
Front RCZ Splitters
Phillips H7's Diamond Vision/Phillips X-treme vision
380/360 Led DLR's
Paint & Interior leather protection

Post Mon May 19, 2014 12:52 pm
jactac User avatar

My sisters ex husband owns a very well known tyre service in Morriston, (I dont use it for obvious reasons), but I can remember him telling me that if your tracking is out and causing wear/wander, you wont completely stop the wear/wander even if you get the tracking done because the tyres have already started to wear and will continue to wear in that area, also because of this continued wear the car will still want to wander in that direction of wear on the tyres.

So basically if you did get the tracking adjusted on worn tyres you should have it re-looked at if you fit a set of new tyres.
Not sure how much truth is in this theory but it sounds logical :eusa-think:
RCZ 156 GT
Opal White,
Interior Sport Kit,
Front RCZ Splitters
380/360 Led DLR's

Post Mon May 19, 2014 1:39 pm
O Lusitanian User avatar

Kudos: 51
I agree entirely with you jactac. There's not a lot of point expecting a re tracking to correct the damage that has already been done. The only way of knowing for sure that all is good is to have the tracking done when new tyres are fitted, and monitor them as you don't won't to scuff a new set out.
As for cars pulling left on the typical road camber they can or will to a degree pull to the left, but to test for sure drive on the wrong side of the road (carefully) and see if it pulls to the right. If it still goes left then you have a problem.
Luckily mine stays straight but I have still managed to scuff the insides.
I have put this down to driving round corners with - shall we say - slightly more speed than most others !
But you gots to have some fun Olive.
Black RCZ Sport Hdi 163cv - Zunsport Quads - Philips X-treme Vision - 92 Red LED rears - De Lettered Rear
10% discount to members on Portuguese Villa
http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/portugal/P2787.htm

Post Mon May 19, 2014 7:22 pm
mistral_blue Senior Member

Kudos: 84
If you want the best result for wheel balancing/tracking, I can recommend anyone with a Hunter system (as long as they know how to use it!):

I use Imperial Tyres, Swindon (who did a great job with my Jag 20"s which are notoriously difficult to balance!) but Hunters are available UK-wide - having stood and watched both processes from start to finish, I wouldn't trust any other machine to do either job to the same standard...:

Hunter GSP9700 - http://www.imperialtyres.co.uk/road-force-balance/ which loads the tyre on the wheel, allows accurate (and minimal) weight placement and checks for rim/tyre distortion. Demo here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efhgM2TcQpI

Hunter Wheel Alignment - http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/ for details. Demo here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0YmHMfaCGc

For alignment as stated above, ideally you want new(ish) tyres on it and no major suspension issues/wear (an alignment garage should check parts for wear and tear and advise before carrying out the alignment process, as they will need replacing first or you are only making a temporary fix!)
Peugeot RCZ 1.6 THP 200 GT - Zunsport Quads, Footrest, Boot Tray, Phillips +100% H7s, K&N Panel filter
Jaguar XKR 4.0 (modified >400BHP)

Skoda Octavia 2.0 vRS Estate

Looking for the RCZ Workshop Manual? See HERE & HERE | Link to Weekly checks & Interim Service guide HERE

Post Tue May 20, 2014 1:56 pm
jactac User avatar

Yeah, Harris Brother of Swansea use the hunter system, not cheap in comparison to "normal" systems but great rersults.
RCZ 156 GT
Opal White,
Interior Sport Kit,
Front RCZ Splitters
380/360 Led DLR's

Post Wed May 21, 2014 7:41 pm
Gorwell Senior Member

Kudos: 30
I went back to Avia Autos (Bridgend) and they tidied up the Balancing and Tracking.

Good news is that they have a lovely little café on site now - Top Job :thumbup:

Post Thu May 22, 2014 7:31 am
jactac User avatar

Glad you're all sorted m8. :thumbup:
RCZ 156 GT
Opal White,
Interior Sport Kit,
Front RCZ Splitters
380/360 Led DLR's