Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension Timing belt problem

Timing belt problem

inc spare tyres & tyre pressure

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:04 pm
Snicholls Newbie

Kudos: 0
I have a 2010 rcz and there is a banging noise from the engine, I have been told its possibly the timing belt,
The car has done 29000 miles , this seems not many miles for this problem, it's 2 months out of warranty, has anyone had this happen to them?
If so how much did cost to repair ?

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:40 pm
mrizzle User avatar

Kudos: 1570

It's a fairly well known fault I'm afraid but a total bummer that it's happened just out of warranty. :( I don't know exactly how much the cost of repair tends to be I'm afraid hut hopefully someone who has experienced it will be able to give you a better idea. I can, however, assure you that it's relatively easily and quickly remedied.
Former owner of: Dolphin Blue 156 GT, feline kit (black mesh grille and quad exhausts)
Black Onyx Solstice Alloys
380/360 led drls.
Osram Nightbreaker Plus Gold Edition bulbs
K&N Air Filter.
Personalised plate.

The replacement; Summit White Astra (J) GTC VXR

Post Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:50 am
RCZ1 User avatar

Kudos: 1482
I had the same problem on my 2010 RCZ and it had done less miles than yours when it happened. Mine was done under warranty so I've no idea how much it costs. The dealer sorted it in a day though. Best to take your car to the dealer ASAP as you don't want worse damage to occur and make it even more expensive.
Mk 2 Sport 156 Moroccan Red Bespoke Nappa leather
Black Roof Arches Sports Pack Sat Nav K&N Filter Philips Diamond Vision lights

RCZ Sport 156 in Pearl White Bespoke Nappa leather interior with RCZ motif
K & N High Performance Air Filter 360/60 LED DRLs Phillips Extreme +100% Headlights Custom Car Mats

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:44 pm
xzibit206 Senior Member

Kudos: 46
It's a timing chain in the THP engine not a belt. It is meant to make for a more reliable setup however the hydraulic tensioner is the weak point in the whole setup. Essentially it won't tension the chain properly until the hydraulic pressure has built up from the engine running (chicken and egg)

In case you don't understand what the timing chain does, it synchronizes the inlet and exhaust valves in the engine cylinder when the engine piston is out of the way. If the chain breaks or doesn't do it's job correctly, the piston can smack into the valves causing major damage to the engine which could cost an entire rebuild.

I believe you could be looking at a bill of around £800 to a grand for a timing chain change on an RCZ. The whole timing chain and tensioner have to be replaced as the chain will likely have stretched and it's a job which takes a good couple of hours to do by a dealer. You could look at getting it done at an independent mechanic which would reduce this cost.

You describe the sound as a banging rather than a rattle. When does it happen? When the car is being driven or stationery? Is it when the car has just been started or has been running for a while? Can you open the bonnet and pin point where the banging is coming from (general area of the engine)?
Gary , Nera Black 156 GT

Return to Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension