Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension Wheel Removal

Wheel Removal

inc spare tyres & tyre pressure

Post Mon May 20, 2013 1:59 pm
OO58RON User avatar

Kudos: 893
HELP.

I write this in total despair :twisted: I have invested about £1000 in order to have a full sized spare wheel replacement option. I was thwarted the first time that I attempted to remove a wheel when the car slipped off of the scissor jack. The damage was repaired thankfully by my dealer and Peugeot UK picked up the tab. I now find that following a trip to a tyre centre back in early April to have my winter tyres replaced by my summer ones and having them rebalanced I have lots of black sticky pads remaining on my wheels left over from the old weights being removed. So today I decided that I would remove the wheels and get this stuff off and give the wheels a clean and seal at the same time. Well I was absolutely devastated to discover that the front two jacking points are bent, the worst one is the one that had been repaired. No way can these point be reused to jack up the car with any sense of confidence. What the hell am I to do? What is the point of having spent all that money if you can't jack the damn car up using the points provided? Who do I take the car to, the tyre fitter after a good month since he did the work and hope that he believes that the car has not been touched since he changed the wheels, hence he has bent the jacking points or Peugeot because the jacking points are clearly not suitable for purpose. I am totally bereft :twisted:
RCZ is the only car to make the Audi TT appear dated, and is officially the sexiest car on the road.

Post Mon May 20, 2013 2:23 pm
stevebasshead User avatar

Kudos: 326
It sounds, fundamentally, that it's a design (and possibly safety) fault, jacking points simply should not be so weak and easily damaged. Given that you have precedent from a prior failure and Peugeot repaired the damage acknowledging that it wasn't user error I'd be tempted to go to Peugeot in the first instance.

The tyre fitter may or may not have used due diligence and care, that will be hard to prove. And clearly they've not confessed at the time to something that can't fail to have noticed having caused. So your chances of getting redress from them appears slim at best. But we know how weak the jacking points are so your best bet may be Peugeot.

Best of luck!

Sent from my mind to yours via Tapatalk 2

Post Mon May 20, 2013 3:57 pm
hanswuk User avatar

Kudos: 165
Ron, what an absolute nightmare!

I think that you should return to the tyre fitting place if you think they are responsible although I don't think you'll get much out of them. However until you try you won't know.

The fact that there are so few reports of similar problems (unless I've missed them) means one of two things - either the cars are too new for many to have needed to have wheels removed (although all the Scots who have winter and summer tyres must have had this done?) or that Peugeot dealers know how to do it without problems.

Has anyone else had experience of an independent trader jacking up their car?
Dolphin Blue GT 200

Post Mon May 20, 2013 4:10 pm
Abzynthe User avatar

Kudos: 1053

Im scared to put my new wheels on when they arrive now :(

Post Mon May 20, 2013 5:22 pm
mjcuk2000 Senior Member

Kudos: 26
For what its worth, I've had no problems jacking up the car with a trolley jack, but I do use a hockey puck adaptor. Also had no issues with tyre fitters lifting the car.

Any idea how your tyre fitters lifted the car? I wouldn't have thought they'd have touched those jacking points if they had a lift.

Post Mon May 20, 2013 6:17 pm
OO58RON User avatar

mjcuk2000 wrote:
For what its worth, I've had no problems jacking up the car with a trolley jack, but I do use a hockey puck adaptor. Also had no issues with tyre fitters lifting the car.

Any idea how your tyre fitters lifted the car? I wouldn't have thought they'd have touched those jacking points if they had a lift.

They used four trolley jacks. Just been to the dealers, who put the blame fairly and squarely in hands of the tyre fitters. Incidentally my dealer at least utilises the same jacking points this their ramp. They swing the arms in underneath the points and left the car up. Will go to the tyre fitters tomorrow, but not expecting to receive much joy out of them :thumbdown: My whole experiences of jacking up the Z have really caused a great deal of paranoia. It's ridiculous as I have never before than a second thought about changing a wheel, but with this car I'm now totally terrified of what will happen.
RCZ is the only car to make the Audi TT appear dated, and is officially the sexiest car on the road.

Post Mon May 20, 2013 7:06 pm
mjcuk2000 Senior Member

Kudos: 26
When you say 4 trolley jacks I take it they lifted one corner at a time, rather than using 4 trolley jacks at the same time?

What are the dealer claiming that the fitter did wrong?

Post Mon May 20, 2013 7:24 pm
OO58RON User avatar

No. Four trolley jacks, one on each corner. Dealer believes that they may have pulled the jacks out before they were sufficiently lowered or simply did not take enough care when placing the jacks or perhaps incorrectly shaped jacks were used.

Post Mon May 20, 2013 9:39 pm
jave22 Regular
Regular

Kudos: 6
Hi Ron,
What a nightmare :-( I have been investigating the spare wheel solutions but now I am wary of jacking up the car myself and possibly doing damage. I would now be worried about letting any garage do it without them identifying where they propose to put the jack first and have a suitable attachment. Surely this can't be right? Changing a wheel should not be so stressful!
Regards
John

Post Mon May 20, 2013 9:49 pm
OO58RON User avatar

No it shouldn't be. I'm assured by my own dealer that it is not a problem. However due to my own experiences, I have lost confidence. If a professional tyre fitter can inflict such damage by simply elevating the car, then what hopes are the for an amateur?

Post Mon May 20, 2013 9:54 pm
TomC User avatar

Kudos: 321
OO58RON wrote:
If a professional tyre fitter can inflict such damage by simply elevating the car, then what hopes are the for an amateur?

The professionals have severe time limitations when it's changing season, and in general do not care about your car as much as YOU do. I would more worry about THEM doing it...
Tom

The blackest THP 200 of all...

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:11 pm
jave22 Regular
Regular

Hi,
I managed to pick up a nail which resulted in a slow puncture in the drivers front tyre. The TPMS was telling me every 2 days to check the pressure so I had to get it fixed. I was a bit apprehensive about my local garage removing the wheel after all the previous comments. Anyway the jacking point worked a treat, maybe in the new model the points more substantial than in the previous one, with no deformation. Much care was taken during the tyre repair and everything has turned out ok, phew. We're back in business.
Regards
John

Post Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:22 am
Scott barton User avatar

Kudos: 113
I've hade wheels on an off loads of times at different garages - never a problem ?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371277362.967694.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371277362.967694.jpg (133.06 KiB) Viewed 3572 times

Post Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:32 am
bigmac3161 User avatar

Kudos: 732
Tut tut Scottie using child labour should be ashamed of urself.
PURE WHITE VOLKSWAGEN GOLF R
BORN JULY HOPEFULLY
18" CADIS ALLOYS

Post Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:34 am
Scott barton User avatar

Kudos: 113
bigmac3161 wrote:
Tut tut Scottie using child labour should be ashamed of urself.

Ace !!!

Post Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:13 pm
gatt767 Senior Member

Kudos: 13
one of my jack points got ripped from the metal which is welded to while replacing one of the alloys. i had opened a thread about this. They are not fit for the purpose as correctly described. You need to be extremely careful, which no one is unless they own the car. Look at this thread how one of the points ended after being beaten with a hammer back implace! now its unusable !!!

http://peugeotrczforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4546

posted some photos as well, i was going to faint when i was back at home and saw this disaster!!!!
Attachments
27102012.jpg
27102012.jpg (255.47 KiB) Viewed 3552 times
27102012(003).jpg
27102012(003).jpg (217.03 KiB) Viewed 3552 times
27102012(002).jpg
27102012(002).jpg (240.76 KiB) Viewed 3552 times
27102012(001).jpg
27102012(001).jpg (207.95 KiB) Viewed 3552 times

Post Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:08 pm
OO58RON User avatar

They are definitely an issue and they should not be. Either they are designed for the purpose of withstanding the weight of the car or they are not jacking points as described.

Post Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:55 pm
gatt767 Senior Member

even the plastic it should not be too close to the jackpoint! i saw other cars and the plastic is cut around the jack point leaving approx 2 inches from all round the point. If the point gets demaged and bends, it will also demage the plastic surrounding it. I had to go to a car repair shop and had the plastic fixed by a heat gun. :evil:

Post Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:59 pm
jave22 Regular
Regular

Hi Guys,

THIS IS SCARY!!!

Ok so I spoke too soon. I had a puncture and I thought it was fixed with no damage to the lifting point but alas no. The puncture was not fixed, turned out to be a double puncture with the two holes too close to plug separately so a new tyre is required. Anyway after fitting the new tyre I looked at the jack point and this was what I found to my horror!! This was done at my local garage that I have used for years. They used a conventional trolley jack to lift the car.
image.jpg
image.jpg (70.31 KiB) Viewed 3506 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (75.24 KiB) Viewed 3506 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (100.88 KiB) Viewed 3506 times

The jack point on the front drivers side has bent out and ripped itself away from the bottom of the car and is effectively lying flat. The plastic skirt around the sill is now being pinched by this bent jack point and does not looked damaged, hope it will spring back into place when the lug is straightened.
It is clear that this is not strong enough to take the weight of the car, there is no substance to this and it does not appear to be attached to anything of any strength. It is going into the garage for a good look tomorrow but it will need straightened, welded and then re-sealed. I would be very weary of jacking the car up again with this point. Indeed if I need to get the wheel off for any reason then I will be going back the the dealer and not my local garage. Fortunately as i know the garage they are going to repair the damage, they have never seen anything like this before while simply changing a tyre.
I can't emphasise this enough to everyone. Don't think about jacking up the car at anywhere else but the dealer so if it all goes wrong they are to blame. These jack point are definitely not fit for purpose and I will be complaining to Peugeot about this. I am not a happy RCZ owner at the moment :thumbdown: Has anyone else experienced the same this? I know a few (Ron) have on this forum.
Any comments welcome.
Regards
John

Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:32 am
gatt767 Senior Member

same as yours :-( not looking good. mine was sealed and repainted, did not let them touch it as they will get it worse. now its unusable !

PreviousNext

Return to Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension