Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension Wheel Removal

Wheel Removal

inc spare tyres & tyre pressure

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:13 pm
OO58RON User avatar

Kudos: 893
Thank you all for your kind comments

I am off work this week aand am out and about doing rather a lot. I will be in contact with my Main Dealer tomorrow to make arrangements for them to get it up on their ramp and assess what damage has been caused and what is needed to correct it.

Upon closer inspection of the "scissor jack" it would seem to me the cause of the failure was due to the element of the jack that has the little groove in it rotating and thus sliding off the jacking point of the car and embedding itself into the underside of Pearl2. There is a massive deep indentation now, which causes me deep concern, but hopefully the skirt is simply masking a void and nothing of substance has been damaged.

I will never use a scissor jack on her ever again and will hasten my purchase of a trolley jack, axle stands and a torque wrench, before attempting to remove any more wheels. Bang goes the confidence I had acquired following the purchase of my full sized spare wheel
RCZ is the only car to make the Audi TT appear dated, and is officially the sexiest car on the road.

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:37 pm
RCZ1 User avatar

Kudos: 1460
bownib wrote:
Oh dear Ron. Glad all is OK with you and the car. Looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday..............

You too :) Really looking forward to it :)
Mk 2 Sport 156 Moroccan Red Bespoke Nappa leather
Black Roof Arches Sports Pack Sat Nav K&N Filter Philips Diamond Vision lights

RCZ Sport 156 in Pearl White Bespoke Nappa leather interior with RCZ motif
K & N High Performance Air Filter 360/60 LED DRLs Phillips Extreme +100% Headlights Custom Car Mats

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:09 pm
lionhart User avatar

Kudos: 17
your not alone oo58ron.not mine but came accross the same thing from another forum.
DSC_0016_JPG1_.jpg
DSC_0016_JPG1_.jpg (89.48 KiB) Viewed 2398 times
DSC_0019_JPG1_.jpg
DSC_0019_JPG1_.jpg (90.99 KiB) Viewed 2398 times
Last edited by lionhart on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RCZ GT 200 Dolphin blue
Full RCZ R Exhaust
LED running lights
K&N filter
Forge Motorsport Hard pipe/Hose kit

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:23 pm
OO58RON User avatar

Ouch............ I fear mine is of a similar nature. Has made me so nervous now of removing a wheel and dreading actually moving the car for the first time, currently scheduled for tomorrow!!!
RCZ is the only car to make the Audi TT appear dated, and is officially the sexiest car on the road.

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:00 pm
mjcuk2000 Senior Member

Kudos: 26
So what is the safest way to jack up the car then? If it's trolley jack and axle stands then where should they be placed? Anything else that can be done to make sure the car can't fall?
I've always been keen to use the oem scissor jack on previous cars to help avoid these sort of incidents. My thinking being that the oem jack is designed for the car and 'hooks' into the jack point. Clearly this isn't applicable to the RCZ!

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:05 pm
jassyo06 Senior Member

Kudos: 743
just go further in and you will see the chassis rails running the length of the car thats your best bet then once jacked up use timber or axel stands to keep it there then lower the jack with the above taking the weight of the car :thumbup:

Post Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:05 pm
mjcuk2000 Senior Member

Kudos: 26
Stupid question but wheres the best place to put the axle stands on the RCZ?

Post Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:56 pm
bee Senior Member

Kudos: 29
all car jacking should bee done with care. i lost a good pal when his car slipped off his jack.

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:56 pm
jassyo06 Senior Member

mjcuk2000 wrote:
Stupid question but wheres the best place to put the axle stands on the RCZ?

just lock them on to the chassis rails these can be seen if you have a good look under the car

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:09 pm
OO58RON User avatar

Pearl2 was collected this evening from my home and taken away for inspection/repair. My problem now is that I have bought a full size spare wheel, to give me peace of mind but this incident has shattered all of that :thumbdown: I will never dare use that damn scissor jack again. So not only will I be dragging my full sized wheel about in the boot, I now need to find a trolley jack and then transport that around in the boot too. Can anybody recommend a particular make & model of trolley jack and axle stands suitable for use on our rather low RCZ's?

Post Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:13 am
donnaj1dlh User avatar

Kudos: 425
OO58RON wrote:
Pearl2 was collected this evening from my home and taken away for inspection/repair. My problem now is that I have bought a full size spare wheel, to give me peace of mind but this incident has shattered all of that :thumbdown: I will never dare use that damn scissor jack again. So not only will I be dragging my full sized wheel about in the boot, I now need to find a trolley jack and then transport that around in the boot too. Can anybody recommend a particular make & model of trolley jack and axle stands suitable for use on our rather low RCZ's?

Finger's crossed the damage is only superficial :thumbup: I need a really slim trolley jack when I'm trying to take of my wintergrips .... it's amazing the difference it makes changing from 40s to 35s .... even the tyre places struggle....
Celebrated the birth of a "bog standard" Amber Red 2.0 HDi GT RCZ............born on 01 Oct 11
.... staying faithful to the brand:
2011 RCZ HDi GT, Amber Red
2006 207 HDi GT, Lacerta Yellow
2000 306 HDi DTurbo, China Blue
1998 306 DTurbo, Silver
and then I went and bought a Volcanic Orange Mini Cooper S, born 14Jun14 ... 'kin meong.......

Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:53 pm
OO58RON User avatar

Not sure if the damage caused is "superficial" The dealer returned my car and has said that some weld has been cracked :thumbdown: He says it will cost £400 + VAT to put right. He has also given me a new scissor jack, which has more of a U shape to connect with the jacking point as opposed to the C shaped one that slipped off. I still require a torque wrench, trolley jack and axle stands as well as instruction on how to best use them all. If anybody can give me some advice on where I should go to obtain these items and advice, then I'd very much appreciate it.

Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:12 pm
jassyo06 Senior Member

Try Google Ron :wtf: but as trolley jacks go dont go overboard and axle stands are cheap £25 a pair but 4x2 timber is better and cheaper and wont bend like some axle stands............. your not the most confident/competent person when it comes to technicality's concerning car maintenance as i have gathered over the lat 18 months :wtf:

Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:24 pm
OO58RON User avatar

Google What??? Where to find a trolley jack that will fit under a RCZ??? or where do I get a good quality torque wrench that won't scratch my alloys?

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:38 pm
jassyo06 Senior Member

OO58RON wrote:
Google What??? Where to find a trolley jack that will fit under a RCZ??? or where do I get a good quality torque wrench that won't scratch my alloys?

Your just being soooo Pedantic Ron "fook me" its only a car not a "baby" I take it your one of these men that outwith there Comfort Zone they are afraid to tackle anything

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:05 pm
OO58RON User avatar

jassyo06 wrote:
OO58RON wrote:

Your just being soooo Pedantic Ron "fook me" its only a car not a "baby" I take it your one of these men that outwith there Comfort Zone they are afraid to tackle anything

You're wrong there jassy. You are forgetting that I am old enough to have lived in a time when you didn't call out the AA because you had a flat tyre. I remember cars that came with a spare wheel as standard!. I recall being annoyed that my spare was not an alloy to match the others on the car, then came the damn space saver only to be followed by the sodding gunk. I know how to change a wheel and am more that confident to do so.

My question was and is............... Where do I find a trolley jack to fit under the RCZ and where do I purchase a torque wrench that will not scratch my alloys? We never used to use torque wrenches as they were for HGV's, but these days things are slightly different in the same way that some of us detail our RCZ's and don't wash them. Time and practices move on and all that I am seeking is guidance from the more knowledgeable forum members as to were I need to go to purchase the tools that I now require.

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:01 pm
jactac User avatar

Kudos: 508
I hate scissor jacks, simply dont trust them :thumbdown:
I bought an hydrauliic trolly jack from Halfords for £30, fits under the RCZ just fine. its a basic trolly jack nothing special, up to 3 tonne in weight :thumbup:
Its small enough to fit into a "boot holdall" if you want to carry it in the car.
Argos do a torque wheel brace, page 456 item 6, £24.99.
RCZ 156 GT
Opal White,
NG4 Sat Nav, Latest firmware/Maps/Speed cameras
Interior Sport Kit,
Onyx Black Solstice 19's,
Front RCZ Splitters
Phillips H7's Diamond Vision/Phillips X-treme vision
380/360 Led DLR's
Paint & Interior leather protection

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:43 pm
OO58RON User avatar

jactac wrote:
I hate scissor jacks, simply dont trust them :thumbdown:
I bought an hydrauliic trolly jack from Halfords for £30, fits under the RCZ just fine. its a basic trolly jack nothing special, up to 3 tonne in weight :thumbup:
Its small enough to fit into a "boot holdall" if you want to carry it in the car.
Argos do a torque wheel brace, page 456 item 6, £24.99.

Cheers jactac :thumbup:

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:36 pm
jactac User avatar

Kudos: 508
No problemo :P
RCZ 156 GT
Opal White,
NG4 Sat Nav, Latest firmware/Maps/Speed cameras
Interior Sport Kit,
Onyx Black Solstice 19's,
Front RCZ Splitters
Phillips H7's Diamond Vision/Phillips X-treme vision
380/360 Led DLR's
Paint & Interior leather protection

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:37 pm
bradshaw Senior Member

Kudos: 21
I got my trolley jack from Halfords a few years ago now, had great service from it.
THP200 SPORT, mercury grey, K&N filter, feline quads, red calipers, private plate, age is just a number!

PreviousNext

Return to Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension