Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension Wheel Removal

Wheel Removal

inc spare tyres & tyre pressure

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:24 pm
OO58RON User avatar

Kudos: 893
EXTREME CARE REQUIRED.

So this is what has just happened to me. Resulting a complete and utter lack of confidence :thumbdown:

I was left home alone and having completed the cleaning of the decking, thought that it was a great opportunity to remove my wheels one by one and give them a thorough cleaning. Oh dear, what a silly idea that turned out to be. Rear nearside wheel removed a cleaned, polished and put back on :thumbup: Unfortunately for me the front nearside didn't go to plan at all. Having laid on my front to ensure the scissor jack supplied with the spare wheel set was correctly positioned, I began to gently turn the jack handle to elevate the car. Taking great care as to not catch the bodywork and ensuring that the jack remained firmly and flat against the road. Crunch!!!! the jack is now embedded into the underside of the plastic skirt and the jack point bent into the same crevice :thumbdown:
At this point of despair I have retired indoors for a coffee, prior to giving Pearl2 a good inspection to see if any damage is visible or indeed if the passenger door will open. For all I currently know there may be a gaping hole in the sill.
So be warned that scissor jacks are not a good way of elevating a RCZ when removing wheels. Trolley jack will need to be purchased, sooner rather than later. God only knows what her in doors will say, when she learns of my antics.
RCZ is the only car to make the Audi TT appear dated, and is officially the sexiest car on the road.

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:36 pm
Starky User avatar

Kudos: 14
I'd be grabbing a few things from the fridge, a backpack and a clean pair of socks then bolting it out the door before your other half gets back oooops
Asphalt
K&N
Private plate
Swissvax detailed
Quads
LED number plate lights
LED DRL's
Carbon roof and spoiler
Took delivery 15th June 2012 ;)
Sold 10th November 2012 :(

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:42 pm
jassyo06 Senior Member

Kudos: 743
Damn Ron its easily done mate l was lucky to escape from what you have done the jack points are made of putty as simple as that when the scissor Jack l always reach right under catch the jack with part of the chassis more awkward but no damage.

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:46 pm
bradshaw Senior Member

Kudos: 21
Trolley jacks are so much easier and safer, quite cheap to buy.
THP200 SPORT, mercury grey, K&N filter, feline quads, red calipers, private plate, age is just a number!

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:49 pm
mjcuk2000 Senior Member

Kudos: 26
Surely any damage should be covered by Peugeot? If you're using their jack on the specified jacking points then this shouldn't happen.
I don't understand why the jack points are so weak?

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:19 pm
donnaj1dlh User avatar

Kudos: 425
Talking as someone who recently (about a year ago with my 207) had trolley jack circlips snap and collapse, minus the wheel, only to have the brake disc become embedded in drive ... knackering a track rod end ... I won't even trust trolley jacks. I had a barsteward of a job trying to get the car back up. :cry: :cry:

We bought axle stands too ... think belt and braces.

What we've also done is bought ice hockey pucks and cut grooves into them. They sit nicely in the trolley jack and it helps distribute the pressure on the sill and jack points.

Even still, I prefer to have the 'professionals' do it now as I wince when I see Steve jack the car up ... in fact I have to leave him to it and go inside!!
Celebrated the birth of a "bog standard" Amber Red 2.0 HDi GT RCZ............born on 01 Oct 11
.... staying faithful to the brand:
2011 RCZ HDi GT, Amber Red
2006 207 HDi GT, Lacerta Yellow
2000 306 HDi DTurbo, China Blue
1998 306 DTurbo, Silver
and then I went and bought a Volcanic Orange Mini Cooper S, born 14Jun14 ... 'kin meong.......

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:21 pm
donnaj1dlh User avatar

OO58RON wrote:
God only knows what her in doors will say, when she learns of my antics.

She'll call you a clumsy oaf but I imagine that will be all! I imagine your prides just as dented as the sill. At least your head wasn't underneath the wheelarch ... you could have really hurt yourself!
Celebrated the birth of a "bog standard" Amber Red 2.0 HDi GT RCZ............born on 01 Oct 11
1998 306 DTurbo, Silver
and then I went and bought a Volcanic Orange Mini Cooper S, born 14Jun14 ... 'kin meong.......

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:27 pm
OO58RON User avatar

Talking of ice hockey pucks. I still have the one given to me when I was awarded "man of the match" many moons ago. I played in defence with the Peterborough Pirates and on that occasion scored my one and only goal.
RCZ is the only car to make the Audi TT appear dated, and is officially the sexiest car on the road.

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:33 pm
Rczmk User avatar

Kudos: 22
I also find it hard to trust a normal jack, at minimum I would use is a trolley jack with Axell stands. Not only safer but quicker to can do a couple at the same time. A good torque wrench with plastic shielded shafts so they won't scratch your wheels when removing the bolts.

I've got to say though the jacking points on the RCZ are rather flimsy, as the bottom skirt tucks all the way underneath.

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:41 pm
mrizzle User avatar

Kudos: 1570

Oh dear RON!! :o What a shocking day for both you and pearl! :( It will all be repairable I'm sure. Have you had a chance to survey the damage yet? It may not be as bad as you imagine. Donna's tale sounds like absolute worst case scenario. I am fortunate with the black solstices as I can clean the entire inner alloy without having to remove it as the gaps are HUGE. I haven't a whole lot of knowledge on the jack debate so all I can do is offer my words of sympathy and hope that the missus is as understanding. I'm sure she will be!
Former owner of: Dolphin Blue 156 GT, feline kit (black mesh grille and quad exhausts)
Black Onyx Solstice Alloys
380/360 led drls.
Osram Nightbreaker Plus Gold Edition bulbs
K&N Air Filter.
Personalised plate.

The replacement; Summit White Astra (J) GTC VXR

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:43 pm
OO58RON User avatar

Surely though with a trolley jack, there will be no need to utilise the "official" jacking points? there will be safe areas beneath the car?

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:47 pm
OO58RON User avatar

mrizzle wrote:
Oh dear RON!! :o What a shocking day for both you and pearl! :( It will all be repairable I'm sure. Have you had a chance to survey the damage yet? It may not be as bad as you imagine. Donna's tale sounds like absolute worst case scenario. I am fortunate with the black solstices as I can clean the entire inner alloy without having to remove it as the gaps are HUGE. I haven't a whole lot of knowledge on the jack debate so all I can do is offer my words of sympathy and hope that the missus is as understanding. I'm sure she will be!

There are no outwardly visible signs of damage, however beneath the car is a totally different story. The passenger door opened to reveal no signs of damage. Thinking "staying mum" may be my best bet, as she already thinks that I am too fussy when cleaning Pearl2 and this would just compound the issues. It shouldn't have happened in the first place as I was using the correct equipment in the correct manner and being very careful.

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:53 pm
mrizzle User avatar

Kudos: 1570

Yeah I think it would be wise to get the car up and have a look at the underside...probably best to seek a professional for this though!!
Former owner of: Dolphin Blue 156 GT, feline kit (black mesh grille and quad exhausts)
Black Onyx Solstice Alloys
380/360 led drls.
Osram Nightbreaker Plus Gold Edition bulbs
K&N Air Filter.
Personalised plate.

The replacement; Summit White Astra (J) GTC VXR

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:12 pm
donnaj1dlh User avatar

mrizzle wrote:
Yeah I think it would be wise to get the car up and have a look at the underside...probably best to seek a professional for this though!!

I agree. Best to check you've not damaged the paintwork that could be corrosion spots in the future??
1998 306 DTurbo, Silver

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:46 pm
RCZ1 User avatar

Kudos: 1461
Good god Ron, that sounds horrible. Glad to hear that you were OK and that there is no outward signs of any damage. Agree though that you should take Pearl2 to be examined professionally, up on a ramp, for the full picture.

PS Mum's the word ;)
Mk 2 Sport 156 Moroccan Red Bespoke Nappa leather
Black Roof Arches Sports Pack Sat Nav K&N Filter Philips Diamond Vision lights

RCZ Sport 156 in Pearl White Bespoke Nappa leather interior with RCZ motif
K & N High Performance Air Filter 360/60 LED DRLs Phillips Extreme +100% Headlights Custom Car Mats

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:13 pm
bownib User avatar

Kudos: 28
Oh dear Ron. Glad all is OK with you and the car. Looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday..............
K333 CJL - Caroline
156GT, Black, standard alloys, black leather.
Always looks dirty! But still absolutely gorgeous!

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:55 pm
jassyo06 Senior Member

Ron you have really jogged my memory i can tell you that i destroyed the plastic sill underneath as well the jack kept on pushing the plastic up not the car but no visible damage was done to the visible part of the car shall we say i keep 6 blocks of 4x2 timber in the shed they are cheaper than axle jacks and wont snap either. but at the end of the day no damage really

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:44 pm
gatt767 Senior Member

Kudos: 13
Please see what happened when a local tyre repair shop which the dealer uses to replace alloys jacked my RCZ.

have-look-t4546.html

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:34 pm
jassyo06 Senior Member

gatt767 wrote:
Please see what happened when a local tyre repair shop which the dealer uses to replace alloys jacked my RCZ.

have-look-t4546.html

my cars a lot worse :lol:

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:39 pm
gatt767 Senior Member

Kudos: 13
you should have seen the scene. it wasn't very funny. the plastic trim was trapped under the jack point. The jack point was all bent on the trim. it seem that these points aren't able to withstand the cars weight. I took the car to the local repair shop who covered the point with epoxy resin, used to bond plastic bits and then re sprayed the area.

Next

Return to Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension