Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension another alloy starting to corrode :-(

another alloy starting to corrode :-(

inc spare tyres & tyre pressure

gatt767 Senior Member

Kudos: 13
i only wash my alloys with soap and water and sometimes i use super resin polish or a detailer and they have all corroded in less then a year i have replaced 3. now they do not want to replace the last one as they said that the level of corrosion is acceptable.

gatt767 Senior Member

as you can see from the photo corrosion is increasing, i re informed dealer to see if this level of corrosion will trigger a replacement!
Attachments
rsz_1alloy_2.jpg
rsz_1alloy_2.jpg (147.61 KiB) Viewed 3422 times

lovmepug Regular
Regular

Kudos: 4
Just noticed this on my o/s/r wheel whilst cleaning them, the other three wheels appear okay at the moment but after reading your post I must confess to being a little concerned, my vehicle has only covered eight thousand miles.
My dealer has been imformed and I will let you know as to what they do for me as this is totally unacceptable.

gatt767 Senior Member

All my wheels suffered from the same sympthom. 3 of them got replaced. now the dealer seems not to be so prepared and change the last wheel for me as he is saying that the level of corrosion is acceptable for him.

As if it won't continue to increase by time and will surely end up with the paint pealing off.

Moreover here in malta no one seems to want to carry any work on these type of alloys due to the difficulty to apply the lacquer staight onto the alloys!

gatt767 Senior Member

today I have received a reply from the dealer that a new alloy is on the way. thanks Peugeot to remain loyal to your clients :-)

mrizzle User avatar

Kudos: 1570

gatt767 wrote:
today I have received a reply from the dealer that a new alloy is on the way. thanks Peugeot to remain loyal to your clients :-)

:thumbup: Huzzah!!!
Former owner of: Dolphin Blue 156 GT, feline kit (black mesh grille and quad exhausts)
Black Onyx Solstice Alloys
380/360 led drls.
Osram Nightbreaker Plus Gold Edition bulbs
K&N Air Filter.
Personalised plate.

The replacement; Summit White Astra (J) GTC VXR

gatt767 Senior Member

After some months from replacing my alloys, they are once again showing signs of corrosion :-(

When will this problem stops !!!!
Attachments
rsz_alloy_2(1).jpg
rsz_alloy_2(1).jpg (80.67 KiB) Viewed 3330 times
rsz_alloy_1.jpg
rsz_alloy_1.jpg (208.64 KiB) Viewed 3330 times

mrizzle User avatar

Have they been chipped or damaged in some way that has alloyed moisture into them? Just a thought.
Former owner of: Dolphin Blue 156 GT, feline kit (black mesh grille and quad exhausts)
380/360 led drls.
K&N Air Filter.
Personalised plate.

gatt767 Senior Member

no sign of chips anywhere. Why do they go always from the inner edge i do not know. It then spreads like a spiders web. I don't know if Peugeot still visits these forums but they could give a better explanation of whats happening.

mrizzle User avatar

It really is rather peculiar. It looks kinda milky in the photos. I can't fathom why they're doing this unless they've been damaged or chipped and moisture or salt has got into them. Very peculiar.
380/360 led drls.
K&N Air Filter.
Personalised plate.

Abzynthe User avatar

Kudos: 1052

Mine are corroded quite a bit around the centre caps aswell. Im getting some new wheels soon so not to worry :)

frankvdb User avatar

Kudos: 81
One of my 18" has the same type of corrosion pattern near the center.
I'm afraid it's quite common
My car history:
2010 Peugeot RCZ HDi 163hp blue tuanake full options
2001 Peugeot 307 3-door XSi HDi 110hp blue recife
1995 Peugeot 306 3-door XNd 70hp rouge analou

gatt767 Senior Member

Do other alloys within the range corrode so fast?
Are these alloys inferior in quality from the rest of the range?
Or is the manufacturing process of these alloys different?
Anyway the dealer immediately phoned this morning and said that he will replace the alloys once again.
This time the new set will be taken locally to a paint shop and a coat of lacquer will be applied on them to try stopping humidity from reaching the metal alloy and get trapped under.
I have informed him that Peugeot needs to do something as I do not think that this should happen in just a few months from new. I have expected that such corrosion should only happen if the lacquer gets compromised.
Also the corrosion is not easily spotted in its early stages. You need to check it out with the led light you have in your mobile to see the difference in color. Obviously the worse it gets the more visible it becomes as finally the metal will get exposed and will eventually get pitted.

donnaj1dlh User avatar

Kudos: 425
My alloys are perfect (20 months old) ... I do wonder if cleaning (how/what) is making them worse than others?

Also (IMHO) wheels ARE going to get chipped/damage/bubble through normal wear and tear - out of all the areas of the car they're bombarded by the worst possible conditions - salt/sand/brake dusk/gravel etc etc......par for the course, can't really expect them to stay pristine :eusa-think:
Celebrated the birth of a "bog standard" Amber Red 2.0 HDi GT RCZ............born on 01 Oct 11
.... staying faithful to the brand:
2011 RCZ HDi GT, Amber Red
2006 207 HDi GT, Lacerta Yellow
2000 306 HDi DTurbo, China Blue
1998 306 DTurbo, Silver
and then I went and bought a Volcanic Orange Mini Cooper S, born 14Jun14 ... 'kin meong.......

gatt767 Senior Member

Agree with you donnajdlh, but this car is not used too often, i have other cars which i use daily and the car is also garaged.
Moreover, the alloys as i said are only a few months old, just replaced by the dealer, so wouldn't expect to see the bubbles you are refering too so early. Moreover how come this always crops up from the centre and moves to the outer layer? The car hasn't surely seen to much wear and tear, only 6000 miles on the clock (and the alloys have been replaced recently). Here in Malta we do not use any salt etc., the weather is too hot for ice to form on the roads. Am i chipping the wheels exactly from the same spot? :-) Have a look at other pictures posted in the same thread, do you see any similarity? I had other cars in the past with alloys and never had this problem. As regards to washing, this car is washed with water and 1Z Einszett Pearls Shampoo, nothing harmful. I would expect them to last atleast for a few years not few months. How will they look after some years with some proper usage i do not know but with this rate they will surely not remain in prestine condition as i would expect from a car which is looked after. 37,000 euro is not what I call a cheap car and if something gets replaced due to a problem i would presume that the fault should be fixed and not re manifest itself after a few months.

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:29 pm
jactac User avatar

Kudos: 508
This may sound a daft question, but do you live near the seaside or coast.
You'd be surprised how much salt is in the air in seaside town, like Swansea for instance where I live.
It can play havoc with paint work and alloys, unless you protect with a wax or similar.
Just a thought.
RCZ 156 GT
Opal White,
NG4 Sat Nav, Latest firmware/Maps/Speed cameras
Interior Sport Kit,
Onyx Black Solstice 19's,
Front RCZ Splitters
Phillips H7's Diamond Vision/Phillips X-treme vision
380/360 Led DLR's
Paint & Interior leather protection

gatt767 Senior Member

Malta is quite small so sea is not far away, but i do not live near any sea and the car is garaged.

gatt767 Senior Member

Front 2 alloys replaced. Hope they last for some time. Atleast the dealership is firstclass cause he makes his best to settle any complaint !

frankvdb User avatar

Kudos: 81
Here's a pic of my situation left to the center cap:

You can also see the corrosion on the center cap lion.
I have an appointment with the dealer on Friday because I lost a balance weight and they will then also look at the corrosion.
My car history:
2010 Peugeot RCZ HDi 163hp blue tuanake full options
2001 Peugeot 307 3-door XSi HDi 110hp blue recife
1995 Peugeot 306 3-door XNd 70hp rouge analou

dand87 User avatar

Kudos: 157
Got all 4 of my solstices changed for free and they weren't as bad as yours.

I did make a compelling case/document though :dance:
Weekday - High Speed 1.
Weekend - Pearl White RCZ GT with Onyx Black Solstice alloys, feline kit, NG4, K&N air filter, tinted rear 1/4's, LED DRL's/interior lights, Phillips Extreme Vision and private plate.
Dodgy car parks - the missus' Black Fiesta MK 7 Tdci Zetec S w/Street Pack.

PreviousNext

Return to Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension