Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension strange noise coming from front wheels

strange noise coming from front wheels

inc spare tyres & tyre pressure

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:37 pm
gatt767 Senior Member

Kudos: 12
I have an RCZ HDI sport model with 4000 Km on the clock, recently i have noticed that when i move the steering wheel from one position to the other while stationary a strange noise is emitted from the front wheels. This also comes out while going down downhill in a bend. The noise first started on the right front hand side of the wheel and now it is also being emitted from the left hand side as well. I have booked the car for a check, but i am enquiring if you have ever experienced somethign of the sort. The alloy wheels are the standard 18 " wheels.

by the way this is the 4th problem with the car

Scuffed alloy wheel, which was immediately replaced by the local vendor
Bumpers warping in high temperatures (cannot be fixed)
Rattle coming out from clutch paddle (to be fixed in first service)
The latest strange noise coming out front wheels when moving steering wheel.

thanks
Last edited by gatt767 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

pete.garratt Senior Member

Kudos: 140
I believe others have reported noises coming from the top suspension mount, so this might be a possibility in your case.
Moroccan Red R
JBL
Black Mirror Caps

gatt767 Senior Member

Thanks Shark, do you know if there is a fix and how this was sorted out?

pete.garratt Senior Member

Kudos: 140
Not sure if it was just some bolt tightening or replacement parts. If you browse the part of the forum relating to suspension, you should be able to find the previous thread. That should have the answer.
Moroccan Red R
JBL
Black Mirror Caps

gatt767 Senior Member

Are these cars tested ? I feel like I am using some sort of prototype.

OO58RON User avatar

Kudos: 890
gatt767 wrote:
Are these cars tested ? I feel like I am using some sort of prototype.

A bit harsh
RCZ is the only car to make the Audi TT appear dated, and is officially the sexiest car on the road.

nazerim Regular
Regular

Kudos: 0
I'd say the 2010 ones are the prototypes, with 2011's coming with the fixes ;) ;)

gatt767 Senior Member

Sure? cause I only bought mine 3 months ago

donnaj1dlh User avatar

Kudos: 424
Mine was in for it's 6 week warranty check yesterday. I had asked them to look into a knock I had coming from the front wheels - quite noticable when driving over rough road surfaces, potholes etc. To me it was the same kinda noise as when I replaced a track rod end on the 207 six months ago. Now I KNEW that unless it was a faulty TRE then it wasn't likely to be that, but I thought that'd point them in the right direction, give them somewhere to start.
The noise became apparent when the car had covered about 800 miles from new, so I reckoned it was more than likely that something had probably just worked it's way loose a bit and needed tightening. I had already checked the polystyrene thing in the boot (knocking sounds can be funny and they don't always come from where you think) .... the tray was a bit loose so I taped it down(!!) to see if that made a difference. Nada.
Anyway I store a couple of packets of spare bulbs, a blanket and a torch in there - handy wee place I thought .... anyway ..... the garage has told me that they think it's probably that but they "aren't allowed to remove personal items" from the car .... so they couldn't take that out and road test it. :eusa-think:
What a pain in the chuff! As a result, even though they've oiled and lubricated, I still have said knock. But they've said I could take the stuff out and book the car back in :roll:
But I'm thinking I may go back to the garage and ask for a go of their demonstrator to compare the two. Maybe it's just a trait of the RCZ - better not be as I can't put up with that for the next 3 years. I understand the ride is hard and there will be dunts as you hit pot holes but this is on top of that I think. My OH's RS has a harder ride on his 19s and his is much quieter that mine. No extra knocks.
And I know it's not something I'm imagining as my OH has heard it too. But when I initally commented "Did you hear that?" his reponse was "hhmmmm I didn't like to say....."

.... and another thing that got my goat yesterday .... since when did you have to start shelling out to get a COURTESY car? I had to pay £12 to cover insurance for a naff little 1.2 Suzuki Swift .... when (get this) the AA declined to insure me on my own policy .... what a pile of nonsence ... 19 years NCD and I drive a £26K car and they won't insure me to drive 30 miles in a 1.2 petrol car worth £10K. :crazy: .... Suzuki should be taken to trade description.... Swift it isn't!

Anyway rant over.

... the gist of that was I have a knock too!!!
Celebrated the birth of a "bog standard" Amber Red 2.0 HDi GT RCZ............born on 01 Oct 11
.... staying faithful to the brand:
2011 RCZ HDi GT, Amber Red
2006 207 HDi GT, Lacerta Yellow
2000 306 HDi DTurbo, China Blue
1998 306 DTurbo, Silver
and then I went and bought a Volcanic Orange Mini Cooper S, born 14Jun14 ... 'kin meong.......

gatt767 Senior Member

To tell you the truth i am getting tired going to the dealer to fix things apart from that no one seems to understand the inconvenience we have to go through whenever we have to go to the dealer, stay waiting, etc. etc. etc.

Derek Member

Kudos: 2
donnaj1dlh wrote:

.... and another thing that got my goat yesterday .... since when did you have to start shelling out to get a COURTESY car? I had to pay £12 to cover insurance for a naff little 1.2 Suzuki Swift .... when (get this) the AA declined to insure me on my own policy .... what a pile of nonsence ... 19 years NCD and I drive a £26K car and they won't insure me to drive 30 miles in a 1.2 petrol car worth £10K. :crazy: .... Suzuki should be taken to trade description.... Swift it isn't!

Anyway rant over.

... the gist of that was I have a knock too!!!

Been that way with Peugeot dealers for a number of years, I remember when they covered you themselves with a high XS.

If you were with Esure, it would cost you £26 a time. Or £104 if you use the dealer local to myself that had to extend the courtesy car 3 times because they were / still are useless.
1st RCZ - Amber Red RCZ GT 200 ~ Black Onyx Solstice Alloys ~ Vision Pack ~ LED DRL's ~ Integral Leather

2nd RCZ - Pearlescent White RCZ Magnetic 156

I am selling individual 19" Onyx Black Solstice alloys for use as spare wheels - contact me if interested for prices.

Marisa Regular
Regular

I had the same knocking noise described above. Over pot holes and rough surfaces at low speeds. After many test drives 5 different repairs including new shock mounts and brake cables etc. They did a sound test where they place sensors round the car to find the source of the noise. After the test they replaced the engine mounts and so far no more noise. In fact it feels like a new car as it is now solid, hope it helps :)

gatt767 Senior Member

Is yours an hdi model please?

donnaj1dlh User avatar

Kudos: 424
Marisa wrote:
I had the same knocking noise described above. Over pot holes and rough surfaces at low speeds. After many test drives 5 different repairs including new shock mounts and brake cables etc. They did a sound test where they place sensors round the car to find the source of the noise. After the test they replaced the engine mounts and so far no more noise. In fact it feels like a new car as it is now solid, hope it helps :)

Interesting Marisa! Mine's the HDi model, I'll bear this in mind........
Celebrated the birth of a "bog standard" Amber Red 2.0 HDi GT RCZ............born on 01 Oct 11
.... staying faithful to the brand:
2011 RCZ HDi GT, Amber Red
2006 207 HDi GT, Lacerta Yellow
2000 306 HDi DTurbo, China Blue
1998 306 DTurbo, Silver
and then I went and bought a Volcanic Orange Mini Cooper S, born 14Jun14 ... 'kin meong.......

Marisa Regular
Regular

No mine is just a 1.6 sport. It might be worth a shot. I know a lot of people have experienced similar problems.
Hope you get it sorted

gatt767 Senior Member

Why peugeot is not saying anything? Are they aware of this ? Can we have some answers please

gatt767 Senior Member

If you have a look at the last autoexpress long term test report of the rcz it says something as regards to the loosen up of the cars suspension after 10,000 miles.

*****As the months went by, though, the ride deteriorated dramatically. Every speed bump sent a jolt through the cabin, while I found myself actively avoiding potholes and ruts. Motoring writer Luke Madden tested a totally fresh RCZ Asphaltback-to-back with our long-termer and found a huge difference in comfort,indicating a significant degree of wear and tear.********

gatt767 Senior Member

I have just been informed by the local dealer that the following part must be replaced Code 50838F7 Description : Spring Support. This is a known issue and needs to be done to effected RCZ.

Thanks

bradshaw Senior Member

Kudos: 21
My THP 200 Sport, done 3000 milesis at the dealers tomorrow to investigate noises made while going over speed bumps, will give them that info, will let you know the outcome. Also sound box has stopped working, they say that is a quick fix though.
THP200 SPORT, mercury grey, K&N filter, feline quads, red calipers, private plate, age is just a number!

Figo User avatar

Kudos: 231

gatt767 wrote:
I have just been informed by the local dealer that the following part must be replaced Code 50838F7 Description : Spring Support. This is a known issue and needs to be done to effected RCZ.

Thanks

Is this a recall item or just for you?
Image <---- Give it a click *Updated 19/03/14*

THE OWNERSHIP THREAD - LETS BE HEARD!

Next

Return to Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension