Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension Squealing brakes on R - Warranty job?

Squealing brakes on R - Warranty job?

inc spare tyres & tyre pressure

Post Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:47 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

Kudos: 568
Hi forum !!

I've just come back form a trip to Austria and whilst I have been away my R has gained the dreaded squealing front brakes. Now the car is still under warranty and my question is - is this a warranty fault because someone told me that it was a known fault and should be repaired under the warranty. ( some change discs, some discs and pads )
I just want to be sure before I go down to the garage and look a plonker if its not covered.

Whilst we are on about this kind of thing......

Does anyone on here know if the R was ever down for any recalls - brakes / ecu / timing chain etc etc.

Because I can't find any work being done to mine and want to have it sorted before the warranty ends.

One last thing.... One morning I started the car and it sounded like a tractor for about 2 seconds, only did it once but to me sounded like the chain. As I said it never did it again - should I be worried, did take it to 152mph after this and sounded ok.
One thing I have learnt.... do not drive with the window down - you here all sorts of clicks hisses and pops !!
and no it's nowt to do with mr kelloggs !!

It's amazing what difference the road surface makes too...

Thanks for help in advance ... :thumbup:
:lol: Laugh and the whole world laughs with you.... or is that at you? :eusa-think:

Former owner of Dolphin Blue GT200 fully loaded inc. Quads / Xenons.
Now on second white* R
currently sporting an Avery
Roaring Thunder Gloss flip colour wrap.

RCZIain Moderator

Kudos: 197
If you still have a warranty get it booked in for a check Roy.

As for recalls, before I bought mine I seem to vaguely remember reading the RCZs were only subject to three. Fuel leaks or something and front brake issue.
You can check on the DVSA website.
Sandra, 2011 200 GT. Shark grey, Ulter Quad exhaust, Vision pack, jbl and Nav.

neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 527
Hi Mick, so you’ve been hooning around Europe in your “racing car” and cooked yer brakes! :lol:

Actually on a serious note I believe there’s been quite a few warranty claims on the R’s brakes I think some owners have had a couple sets of discs :eusa-think: I would book it in for a check matey better be safe than sorry :thumbup:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

SilverGTi_6 User avatar

Kudos: 73
Every set of aftermarket factory fitted brakes (brrembo, AP racing etc) that I have owned have squealed. I just thought that was part of the fun of having 'race' brakes on a road car.

Post Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:22 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

SilverGTi_6 wrote:
Every set of aftermarket factory fitted brakes (brrembo, AP racing etc) that I have owned have squealed. I just thought that was part of the fun of having 'race' brakes on a road car.

Hey yeah maybe in Australia where you don't see another soul for miles around, but in gud 'ol Blighty where we have traffic lights every few feet and if they don't stop ya, then the roundabouts will....

Then it's no fun when Jo bloggs and his wife with the seven kidds in tow all look round to see where the squealings coming from cos their so used to it coming from the pushchair mums pushing, but baby Johnny's to busy eating the Gregg's cheese straws to do any of that!!

Now if you follow that Ian, you'll know I'm sharing a satirical view of today's Britain !!!

None the less it's no fun with the squealing brakes....

:beer:
:lol: Laugh and the whole world laughs with you.... or is that at you? :eusa-think:

Now on second white* R

Post Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:24 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

Eyup All just a quick update re the front discs on my squealing R.

Peugeot have agreed they are covered by warranty and Peter Ambrose over at Castleford are doing the work.

Though they are replacing the discs they won't do the pads. Talking with the mechanic he says my pads are fine, now here's the crunch... They offered to put the pads on for free whist doing the discs, if I bought them - initially I said yes but when they called me today to ask if I wanted them they told me they are £285 for the front set I said no,
and the discs on there own are £1000 !!! so if I was getting these done without warranty, you could safely say they would be at least £1500 for the front discs and pads !!! Now I was told they were expensive but I didn't expect that !

Doing a search online I could get a set of Pagid pads for £56.

Now talking to a friend of mine he told me that earlier in the year he had all his discs and pads changed on the whole car for his PORSCHE and it come to £600 all in !! They too were Pagid who have a very good reputation for performance equipment.

I can find pads but cant find replacement front discs. And does anyone know what oil for the R?

Now on second white* R

neilgsxr69 User avatar

Glad to hear you’ve got Peugeot to sort it under warranty, have they modified the discs then or could you face the same problem in another 9k? At £1500 I think I would be looking at replacing the lot with a brembo or tarrox setup :eusa-think:
I think the pagid pads would be fine £285 for the pug ones are just taking the pi** :crazy:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

ONLY AEK User avatar

Kudos: 59
don't forget that r has alcon breakes that are made for track use so going to a brembo or a tarox setup is just making the breaking system worse

i know that the cost is pretty high and thats why peugeot produces now the 308 gti with and without alcon breakes (250/270hp)
thp 156 with 268hp!!!!!!!!

tianorth User avatar

Kudos: 367
Would the 308 R brakes also fit RCZ?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Tia2 is a 2013 RCZ Magnetic in Black with a 2litre diesel engine
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights, quad exhaust tips
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights
Both have dash cams front and back

Post Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:01 am
ONLY AEK User avatar

Kudos: 59
I think that 308 gti 250 has rcz's 200 brakes

but i am not very sure
thp 156 with 268hp!!!!!!!!

Post Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:25 pm
RCZ-R User avatar

Kudos: 263
Plecodoras wrote:

Peugeot have agreed they are covered by warranty and Peter Ambrose over at Castleford are doing the work.

Though they are replacing the discs they won't do the pads. Talking with the mechanic he says my pads are fine, now here's the crunch... They offered to put the pads on for free whist doing the discs, if I bought them - initially I said yes but when they called me today to ask if I wanted them they told me they are £285 for the front set I said no,
and the discs on there own are £1000 !!! so if I was getting these done without warranty, you could safely say they would be at least £1500 for the front discs and pads !!! Now I was told they were expensive but I didn't expect that !

Now talking to a friend of mine he told me that earlier in the year he had all his discs and pads changed on the whole car for his PORSCHE and it come to £600 all in !! They too were Pagid who have a very good reputation for performance equipment.

I can find pads but cant find replacement front discs. And does anyone know what oil for the R?

Can you please post the link to those alleged Pagid pads for the front R brake?
As far as I know (I already went through 4 full sets of front brakes and discs, pads even more than that) there are no other pads available for R's front than those offered by peugeot. Those come from Ferodo.

And yes, those prices you've been quoted are real.
Comparing to Porsche brake system doesn't make any sense. Different system, smaller, simple construction, different discs.
The Alcon brake on the R are very pricey, indeed. But the are the only system available for the R model.
RCZ R in red. driven daily. and driven hard.
Dyno results here: http://www.peugeotrczforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10118

Post Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:28 pm
RCZ-R User avatar

tianorth wrote:
Would the 308 R brakes also fit RCZ?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Yes. They are the same.
The discs look different as they are not grooved as on the R. 308 owners complained about the squealing while braking so Pug changed the discs. It helped a bit but didn't cure it completely. It is not only down to the discs but to the whole brake system construction of those Alcons. Those are real-deal racing brakes, not some sort of wannabees. And due to the construction they do squeal when braking.

renegade79 User avatar

Kudos: 372
The Alcons on my GTi have started squealing. The noise is only heard though on a cold start but it dissipates when the car gets warmed up. It’s a little annoying but I guess it’s due to them being racing brakes!
308GTi THP270 in magnetic blue

RCZ gone but not forgotten

jr4070 Senior Member

Kudos: 60
Mate of mine has run scoobies for years. His Brembos all squealed. He used to have a shim in them changed or copper greased i think.. I'm sure the Brembos on the 406 coupe did the same.. If my R does it now I will have to try and claim on my extended warranty.. After that its get dirty with them in the garage..

neilgsxr69 User avatar

Surely if as so many owners are saying that racing brakes do squeal it’s normal then why are Peugeot changing them under warranty? The Alcons must be either warping or wearing down quickly? :eusa-think:
If this was normal there’s no way Peugeot would swap em under warranty especially at a grand a pop!

jr4070 Senior Member

Kudos: 60
I think that dealer's really are not race brake prepared. The known problems revolve around component change. The majority of internet chatter on these brakes appears to point to a higher level of maintenance required. Thry are designed to haul the car back from great speed quickly..They appear to Not like the daily domestic use.. Stitting at lights with your foot on the breke after hauling to a stop appears to be detrimental.. The fist Peugeot fix for these was a pad type change.. This is an interesting read..http://www.allisonautomotive.co.uk/2016/06/28/clutch/

RCZ-R User avatar

neilgsxr69 wrote:
Surely if as so many owners are saying that racing brakes do squeal it’s normal then why are Peugeot changing them under warranty? The Alcons must be either warping or wearing down quickly? :eusa-think:
If this was normal there’s no way Peugeot would swap em under warranty especially at a grand a pop!

The reason I would say is Peugeot wasn't prepared for the usual buyer to handle racing brakes on a daily car. They aimed high and they didn't miss. The brakes are just unbelievably good. You need to upgrade to some serious 400mm carbon discs to step up to another level.
But most daily drivers are overwhelmed by those brakes. Both, in regards of running costs and the required maintenance. Even the shop is overwhelmed. I need to service my Alcons by myself each time I get the car back from service after they replaced the pads. Why? Because the service guys don't care about proper cleaning and greasing of the important parts of the caliper. If not done, it develops issues over time. Especially when a racing brake is not put up to serious strain and heat, for it was built for. It is like to have an Alaskan dog at home and not running with it on daily basis. It will just suffer and die eventually.
The same goes with racing brakes. They need proper maintenance and working environment. But if an R is moved around town only the Alcons will suffer.

I only had once an issue with the Alcon discs. It was an issue similar to warped discs (but at the end it was carbon residue built up on the metal surface). It was due to constant light-footed braking while decelerating from high speed (means, put the pads against the discs with low pressure for a longer period of time). It was wrong, I knew it but I couldn't apply my usual braking technique as I was moving fragile goods around the country.
As a result there was a residue on the discs and they started to rumble when put under pressure.
But everything it took for cure it, was to do few hard braking sessions from about 100 mph down to 20 and repeat for about 10 times. Each of those braking was with full force leaving almost black strips on the tarmac (R's model ABS has a very late modulation and it allows significant locking of the wheels on tarmac. Real racing ABS modulation).
When you are done with such a session, the brake system is still capable of performing at 100%. No fading at all.

RCZ-R User avatar

jr4070 wrote:
I think that dealer's really are not race brake prepared. The known problems revolve around component change. The majority of internet chatter on these brakes appears to point to a higher level of maintenance required. Thry are designed to haul the car back from great speed quickly..They appear to Not like the daily domestic use.. Stitting at lights with your foot on the breke after hauling to a stop appears to be detrimental.. The fist Peugeot fix for these was a pad type change.. This is an interesting read..http://www.allisonautomotive.co.uk/2016/06/28/clutch/

Indeed. My R delivered at begin of 2014 had different brake pads than those replaced during first service later that year.

Post Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:08 am
Plecodoras User avatar

RCZ-R wrote:
Plecodoras wrote:

Can you please post the link to those alleged Pagid pads for the front R brake?
As far as I know (I already went through 4 full sets of front brakes and discs, pads even more than that) there are no other pads available for R's front than those offered by peugeot. Those come from Ferodo.

And yes, those prices you've been quoted are real.
Comparing to Porsche brake system doesn't make any sense. Different system, smaller, simple construction, different discs.
The Alcon brake on the R are very pricey, indeed. But the are the only system available for the R model.

RCR-R...

The reason I made the comparison with the Porsche brand was the fact people associate Porsche for high performance and expensive for maintenance. My mate brought in his repair sheet yesterday and it was in fact £485 and this included changing the fluid and a new pipe !

Yes two different Marques but one with a heritage of performance cars and most people fear the repair bills for their Porsche's. To have such a difference cost wise in quiet astonishing. I appreciate what you are saying... It is like comparing the price of ceramic brakes to ordinary ventilated brakes from the same model, the cost would be miles apart.

As for the link, I put my number plate into the search on Europarts and this is what it came back with;

https://www.eurocarparts.com/brake-pads

Previously when I have had squealing brakes I have just cleaned them, but as I was told that Peugeot accept there is an issue with these and will replace, I thought best let them do that then, especially since they are so expensive. This way I have maybe another two years or more before similar issue, and then I will be out of warranty.

Interestingly I did give the R a real workout when in Austria, and I cannot fault the brakes, I have never said anything negative about them, but once after coming down from the Stelvio with plenty of Gusto, I did notice some fading, and yes when I got back my brakes were knocking and popping as they cooled down - they were very hot ! :D

Anyway if anyone knows where you can buy similar discs, it might be worth posting this for use next time !!
Can you buy them from Alcon?

Now on second white* R

RCZ-R User avatar

The funny thing about Porsche is they are simple in their construction. So, often parts are cheap and easy to manufacture. But they are sold at high prices. That is the trick that made Porsche rich. The same goes for their cars. Since I have been working on a race 911 it opened my eyes to the "glorification" of Porsche in our society :greetings-wavingblue:
But I will leave it here. Back to topic.

The pads you linked to look like they could fit the Alcon calipers.
I have part-worn Ferodo pads lying around in the shed so I will check with them and get back to you all here. I can post some pictures and numbers to compare with.

Nevertheless it is crucial to have the proper material compatibility between a pad and a disc. What could happen is while you put those Textar onto the Alcon and they'd fit, they wouldn't perform at all. Or at least not perform at 100% capabilities of the whole braking system (read: safety). It could lead to disc overheating or in worst case, the pad would crumble under pressure. Those are just allegations but I have seen that happening before on big brake systems.

I'm also not happy with the short lifespan of the Alcon brakes. For me it is new pads each and every annual service and new discs+pads every second service. That is serious money I put on the dealer's desk making me think, I could afford a Ferrari instead :lol: :lol:
But on the other hand those brakes literally saved my life few times on the Autobahn or in the Alps.

Next

Return to Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension