Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension Heavy steering

Heavy steering

inc spare tyres & tyre pressure

Post Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:34 pm
RCZnewbie Regular
Regular

Kudos: 4
I know i'm a newbie to the RCZ,but compared to other sports cars I've owned I do find the steering a bit on the heavy side. The front tyres are due for replacement in the near future, I wonder if fitting narrower tyres would help.
Any info would be helpful, thanks. :-)

Post Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:45 pm
2retro User avatar

Kudos: 376
The petrol version feels light as a feather to me but super grippy on those huge tyres. What's yours and what are you comparing it against?

Post Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:31 pm
marinipersonal Senior Member

Kudos: 12
It's heavy, but that's the reason I used to love it. Always worth checking the tyre pressure. Not saying to over do it, as when hot the pressure will increase about 3 psi. Another factor is the tyre. Soft tyres will fill heavier, as the grip is greater. When I bought my, they had some c r a p Accelera and was hard as rock and the grip was worst than a Peugeot 107 using budget tyres.

Post Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:32 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 815
Make sure your tyre pressures are what they should be, too low can make the car feel heavier on steering, tyre choice can make a difference too.

Is it making any "groaning" noises when turning the wheel? It could be a failing power steering pump if so.

I have the petrol version and mine seems fine to me, although it might be slightly heavier than some cars I've had, but I prefer it being just as it is.
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:42 am
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 172
marinipersonal wrote:
It's heavy, but that's the reason I used to love it. Always worth checking the tyre pressure. Not saying to over do it, as when hot the pressure will increase about 3 psi. Another factor is the tyre. Soft tyres will fill heavier, as the grip is greater. When I bought my, they had some c r a p Accelera and was hard as rock and the grip was worst than a Peugeot 107 using budget tyres.

Just have to comment on the so called crap Accelera tyres, I've been running these tyres on my Z for 3 years now and can't fault them I find the ride acceptable no real difference in ride quality and have found no problems with grip and believe me being a sports bike rider I know how to push tyres in the wet or dry. If anyone wants to pay £150 a corner fill your boots! I'll stick with me "crap" Acceleras :beer:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:21 pm
marinipersonal Senior Member

Kudos: 12
Something as simple as a third exit at the roundabout at 30mph, the car was losing control, almost drifting. Never had the problem with MPSS. And considering how stable the RCZ is, blame the tyre. Replaced the original Continental at 3mm and the Accelera was about 5mm. Would do again.
I don't think it's wise saving in tyres. Don't have to be the more expensive, but if it really is a issue, I wouldn't go for anything bigger than 15". Now, even 17" can be found at decent prices. But 18" and 19", are expensive.
Quick correction, the tyres, 2 years ago cost me about 180 each corner + fitting.
Just check with other members, and even if MPSS isn't the go for choice, one thing they'll agree: good quality tyres. And then you tell me if the investment wasn't worth.

Post Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:49 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 172
Yeh that's what I was saying I think the Accelera tyres are good quality I've given em some right stick and never had the car let go on me. If I thought I needed a more expensive tyre I would buy them I don't skimp on my Z the Acceeleras do what I need them to do. :thumbup:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:11 pm
RCZIain Senior Member

Kudos: 46
I'm going to get nexen n8000 on mine when I get the wheels refurbished.
I had them on my 508 GT and was more than happy with them.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk
2011 RCZ GT 200. Shark grey :)

Post Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:47 pm
RCZnewbie Regular
Regular

Kudos: 4
2retro wrote:
The petrol version feels light as a feather to me but super grippy on those huge tyres. What's yours and what are you comparing it against?

The tyres fitted are acceieta 235/40 ZR19 96X. My previous cars have been MGFs, MX5, and the best of all Toyota MR2. I'm starting to get used to the steering but wouldn't say it was light.

Post Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:25 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 815
So, as recently posted, viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10676&p=126573&hilit=Michelin#p126573

I am finding these tyres the dogs dangly bits. They are so much better than the hankooks, although they did wear so quickly, when they were new they were ok, but hopefully, I will see a few more miles out of these.

Tyre pressures are really very important, they didn't just make a figure up for a laugh, they are designed for optimum performance, handling, road holding, wear, etcetc at a certain pressure.

High pressures will give a lighter feel to steering, but the road holding will be adversely affected, as will the wear (centre tread will disappear quickly).
Low pressures may be a little better in very bad weather - snow, slush, mud, etc, but again, generall speaking, the steering will feel heavier, and the tyre wear will again suffer, this time on the outer edges of the tyre.

Tyre pressures should always be checked when the tyre/wheel is cold. If you have no choice but to drive to a garage to check them, choose as close a garage as you can, and avoid speeding/braking en-route.

If you have to check them when the wheel/tyre is hot, allow a small amount for that, e.g. If the gauge shows 2.2 bar, it's probably nearer 2.00 bar in reality. Try to re-check them when cold as soon as possible.

Tyres are probably the most important safety feature on the car, they are the only surface making contact with the road. Go with whatever you are happy with, but remember, you do probably get what you pay for, so a "budget" tyre is more suited to a Nissan Micra than an RCZ. There is a reason that the best tyres cost more

As with all advice, that's all it is, so the choice ultimately is yours, but experience cannot be bought, so it's always wise to consider other people's opinions carefully before making a final decision, especially when it's about something as important as this.

Soap box, steps down, red wine, picks up :eusa-think:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Return to Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension