Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension Locking wheel nut help

Locking wheel nut help

inc spare tyres & tyre pressure

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:14 am
Cuore Sportivo User avatar

Kudos: 67
Decided it was time to put the summer wheels and tyres back on the Magnetic today and had a bit of a disaster.

I'd just started tightening one of the rear locking wheel nuts up (not particularly tight) and the top of the locking wheel nut/bolt just came off. It's totally seperated from the bolt thats in the wheel. I'm left with a round ended locking wheel bolt in the wheel now and have no idea how to get it out.

First thought was to bash the locking bit back onto the bolt and see if I could undo it as it hasn't snapped or anything, its just come off. I never realised they were in two pieces.

If anyone can help me how to post pics I can post pics of the bit that's come off.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:37 am
2retro User avatar

Kudos: 387
I would imagine the only way to get it off now would be to drill it off.

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:13 pm

Wow. Sorted in 15 minutes.

Found a guy online called the Wheelnutmanltd.

Turns out he lives 5 minutes from me, and removes wheelnuts for Peugeot and citroen dealers for a living.

The guy was a genius and incredibly knowledgeable and skilled. £23 for nut removing and a new nut. Took him 5 minutes and not a mark on the wheel. No drilling at all. Had tools I'd never even heard of, and my shiny alloy never looked in danger at all. Top bloke.

If anyone lives in yorkshire/Barnsley it's worth making a note of his name.

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:19 pm
2retro User avatar

Kudos: 387
Result! :thumbup:

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:14 pm
frankvdb User avatar

Kudos: 78
I replaced my locking nuts for regular nuts a few years back.
My car is parked inside most of the time so I don't need them really.
They appear to be more fragile than the regular nuts so need replacing more often.
And then there is the thing with their outside diameter that is slightly smaller than the regular so you need to make sure that you don't put a cover on them that was on a regular nut before.
I've lost many caps before finding this out.
My car history:
2010 Peugeot RCZ HDi 163hp blue tuanake full options
2001 Peugeot 307 3-door XSi HDi 110hp blue recife
1995 Peugeot 306 3-door XNd 70hp rouge analou

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:52 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 843
I wish I had known about him before. At the end of 2015 I had a similar problem, but I paid Evans Halshaw £40 for a new set of locking nuts & drilling the old one out. :shock:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:05 pm

DKZ5745 wrote:
I wish I had known about him before. At the end of 2015 I had a similar problem, but I paid Evans Halshaw £40 for a new set of locking nuts & drilling the old one out. :shock:

He's at Silkstone. He also does touch up pots of paint for alloy wheels matched to your colour which I also thought was a good find.

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:34 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

We're at Royston, so not far at all. Definitely one for the address book. :thumbup:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:23 pm
DRTDVL Senior Member

Kudos: 43
If you get really stuck grab an old socket of appropriate size and hammer it over the top of the locknut. We have done this a few times in the pass.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:05 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Good call. :thumbup:

My main issue at the time was that I was convinced it was my dealer that had broken my locking nut in the first place, then charged me £40 to replace the set & remove the broken one.

The thing was the car was at the dealers, on the four point lift waiting to have the front strut top mounts replaced under warranty. #notmuchchoice #overabarrel #robbedmeblind.
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:26 am
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 204
DKZ5745 wrote:
Good call. :thumbup:

My main issue at the time was that I was convinced it was my dealer that had broken my locking nut in the first place, then charged me £40 to replace the set & remove the broken one.

The thing was the car was at the dealers, on the four point lift waiting to have the front strut top mounts replaced under warranty. #notmuchchoice #overabarrel #robbedmeblind.

That's the good old Evans Halshaw service for you! :crazy:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Return to Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension