Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension Front suspension clonk - Peugeot Customer Service (not!)

Front suspension clonk - Peugeot Customer Service (not!)

inc spare tyres & tyre pressure

mistral_blue Senior Member

Kudos: 82
I have just written the following review in reply to Peugeot asking 'how they did':

Having had satisfactory dealings with Peugeot CS in the past I was extremely disappointed with how my recent issue with a front suspension mounting clunk was dealt with - reported under the original 3yr manufacturer's warranty period (dealership failed to diagnose) and subsequently not covered by extended Peugeot warranty when it was noted after reporting it AGAIN at my most recent service - even though I was told it would be covered by my dealership. While the dealership in question (Fish Bros, Swindon) have been helpful and agreed to help resolve the issue after all other avenues had failed, I was expecting more from Peugeot CS - being told that a component is failed due to wear and tear after only 21,000 miles is not indicative of a manufacturing issue is rather insulting (I have a degree in mechanical engineering, including materials science and component design, 60-70k is fair wear and tear, not 20k...), especially as Peugeot has issued a flash bulletin to cover an issue well documented on the RCZ forum.

Info Flash #: B3BW010GQ0
Effect on the customer: Knocking in the front axle
Conditions in which fault appears: Noises when driving, banging on poor roads
Origin: RH and/or LH upper damper mounting
After-sales repair: Replacement of the RH and/or LH upper damper mounting
Necessary components: 1 Upper damper mounting (Part number 5038.F7)

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8373
strange-noise-coming-from-front-wheels-t2934-40.html

I was expecting a goodwill gesture in the order of £100 to cover half the cost and was prepared to pay half towards the quoted £220 fee to resolve the issue, which I considered both fair and reasonable. Instead I was told in a rather rude manner by a CS Manager that I'd get no help at all and it was nothing to do with Peugeot (I'd disagree, this is a manufacturing issue plain and simple - hence the bulletin, there are cars on the forum having the issue with <10k miles, one with only 1500!...). Anecdotal evidence from the RCZ Forum suggests this has been covered under warranty for other owners so I am rather at a loss as to why Peugeot were not even willing to go halves, bearing in mind it was reported as having been examined in print (shown on a dealership service invoice) within a month of the original warranty expiring.

Having owned variously a 205, 206, 306, 406, 406 Coupe and now RCZ (main dealer serviced), with my immediate family having owned 205, 206, 306, 309, 405, 205 GTi, I'd consider myself a loyal customer and one who was thinking of upgrading to an RCZ-R within the next couple of years. Customer Service is extremely important to me though, it is so rare to get good service these days that I am very loyal to those who display it, also recommending my friends/family. After my initial experience I was pleased with Peugeot CS, the latest experience (on top of my brakes failing approaching a roundabout at 40mph immediately after a main dealer service - due to a damaged bleep nipple not sealing) has left rather a sour taste and I would hesitate to buy or recommend a Peugeot to others because of this. On the whole I have been delighted with the quality and driving experience of the RCZ (which until now I had recommended to all), which is a real shame.

So in summary, for the sake of being fair and reasonable with me, you have likely lost my custom and that of my friends and family and will receive negative feedback on the well-respected RCZ forum, when common sense and discretion could have provided a positive experience for all, without over compromising or admission of liability from a manufacturer's perspective. A prime example of how NOT to do Customer Service...

Think that sums it up... Of note the dealership reckon the clonk can be solved by changing the engine mount vs the top mounts so we will wait and see if that cures it...
Peugeot RCZ 1.6 THP 200 GT - Zunsport Quads, Footrest, Boot Tray, Phillips +100% H7s, K&N Panel filter
Jaguar XKR 4.0 (modified >400BHP)

Skoda Octavia 2.0 vRS Estate

Looking for the RCZ Workshop Manual? See HERE & HERE | Link to Weekly checks & Interim Service guide HERE

DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 820
Had both my front top mounts replaced FOC @ 14k on the clock. Car had gone in for another issue and dealer said there was a "notice" out from Peugeot and that they were going to replace them FOC.

Difficult to understand why one dealers response would be completely different from another, and even more difficult to understand how Peugeot can issue a notice telling dealers to replace them, and then refuse to acknowledge any problem with these parts when approached by you.

I did mention that I had a "bobbling" noise at low speed from somewhere else, possible the rear mounts, but I was told that there was nothing from Peugeot regarding any other parts, so basically they weren't interested. It didn't seem that important so I didn't pursue it.

My car's warranty expires next month, and it is going in for its 3rd service on a service plan at around the same time, so I am going to get them to check this before I have any "sorry it's out of warranty" responses.

I also intend them to check the hill assist, as quite a few times recently I have had a distinct groan from the front left as (presumably) the hill assist releases, especially on minor slopes.

It is sad when a companies "flagship" vehicle has regular and acknowledged faults, that the company randomly chooses to accept or reject.

I hope you have some sort of acceptable reply from Peugeot, or maybe, as they no longer make the RCZ, they simply don't care anymore.
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

mistral_blue Senior Member

Kudos: 82
I'm not expecting a response tbh as having already dealt with CS I suspect they have nothing further to say. That said, I was thinking of upgrading to an RCZ-R in a year or so, but after this recent experience I'll probably just wait a little longer and buy and F-Type S...
Peugeot RCZ 1.6 THP 200 GT - Zunsport Quads, Footrest, Boot Tray, Phillips +100% H7s, K&N Panel filter
Jaguar XKR 4.0 (modified >400BHP)

Skoda Octavia 2.0 vRS Estate

Looking for the RCZ Workshop Manual? See HERE & HERE | Link to Weekly checks & Interim Service guide HERE

DKZ5745 User avatar

It had long been my intention to look for an R when the time comes, but with pressure mounting from my OH & a continuing concern regarding recurring regular issues with Pug CS, we have recently been looking at Mercedes SLC. Who knows, I don't intend changing anytime soon anyway (but of course that can change, depending on future reliability, so far, so good).
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

tianorth User avatar

Kudos: 297
Hill start works on the handbrake side of things (ie the rears)!
Tia2 is a 2013 RCZ Magnetic in Black with a 2litre diesel engine
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights, quad exhaust tips
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights
Both have dash cams front and back

DKZ5745 User avatar

Oh! That's stuffed that idea then. It's clearly something else & it seems to be getting more frequent & louder, had a group of people looking at me when I set off from a junction today, but for ALL the wrong reasons. Embarrassing :oops:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

tianorth User avatar

Kudos: 297
Might just be sliders need cleaning and re-greasing on front caliper.
Tia2 is a 2013 RCZ Magnetic in Black with a 2litre diesel engine
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights, quad exhaust tips
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights
Both have dash cams front and back

Melancia User avatar

Regular
Regular

Kudos: 2
Hi all,

I'm having the same problem with rattling and noise coming from the front of the car, even when driving on "smooth" surfaces. I can notice it just on low speed (at or below 30mph).
Had the car serviced last week at a main dealer where I reported the issue, and took the opportunity to mention the info flash that seems to match it.
The outcome is that I need both top strut mounts replaced at a cost of £285. When I questioned the customer service saying that's a known issue and it shouldn't be at my cost to fix it, I was "discarded" by the fact that I purchased the car from a garage that's not a dealer. Also that my car now is nearly 6 years old and not even on good will they would do that. This is very disappointing.
So my question is, does anyone know the part(s) number(s)? Also, is it safe to drive the car like this for a while until I can take it back to get fixed?

Thank you.

Forgot to mention: My car is the 2010 (60 plate) 156.

Melancia User avatar

Regular
Regular

Kudos: 2
Melancia wrote:
Hi all,

I'm having the same problem with rattling and noise coming from the front of the car, even when driving on "smooth" surfaces. I can notice it just on low speed (at or below 30mph).
Had the car serviced last week at a main dealer where I reported the issue, and took the opportunity to mention the info flash that seems to match it.
The outcome is that I need both top strut mounts replaced at a cost of £285. When I questioned the customer service saying that's a known issue and it shouldn't be at my cost to fix it, I was "discarded" by the fact that I purchased the car from a garage that's not a dealer. Also that my car now is nearly 6 years old and not even on good will they would do that. This is very disappointing.
So my question is, does anyone know the part(s) number(s)? Also, is it safe to drive the car like this for a while until I can take it back to get fixed?

Thank you.

Forgot to mention: My car is the 2010 (60 plate) 156.

It turns out that the dealer managed to get part of the costs paid by Peugeot on good will. 24%. Not perfect, but better than nothing. :)

DKZ5745 User avatar

:thumbup: not the best result, but better than you thought. Hope it's all sorted now :dance:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Return to Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension