Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension Strange Groan...

Strange Groan...

inc spare tyres & tyre pressure

Post Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:41 pm
craigdm Regular
Regular

Kudos: 6
Even when the wife isn't in the car!

Very occasionally when pulling away from being stopped there is a strange noise that sounds like it's coming from the O/S Front. Sounds a bit like a sticking pad, but there are no other symptoms and it only happens very occasionally.

Any ideas?
RCZ 200 GT

Post Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:00 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 820
I have also heard a similar sound, but Ithought it was from somewhere at the rear? I put it down to the hill assist, as it doesn't always do it, and I think I have only heard it when the hill assist has been active.
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:04 pm
2retro User avatar

Kudos: 377
Just turn the stereo up. It's amazing how you never notice these things then! 8-)

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:14 am
craigdm Regular
Regular

I thought about the hill assist function, but it seems to do it on the flat when I wouldn't expect the hill assist to be active. Certainly feels like a brake releasing though. Wife has a DS4 with an electronic handbrake and the feeling (without the noise!) is similar to pulling away in that without disengaging the handbrake first.
RCZ 200 GT

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:29 am
tianorth User avatar

Kudos: 297
Does it do it when you are not in the car, but your wife is?
Tia2 is a 2013 RCZ Magnetic in Black with a 2litre diesel engine
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights, quad exhaust tips
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights
Both have dash cams front and back

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:28 am
craigdm Regular
Regular

I imagine there lots of groaning going on when I'm not in the car with her Chris!
RCZ 200 GT

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:29 am
tianorth User avatar

Does that mean you can hear it on the outside?
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:37 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

I heard it again this morning, it did sound like it came from the front, and it was when I was setting off with hill assist active. I don't think I've heard it when setting off on the flat, but to be honest I haven't really been listening for it, so maybe it has :eusa-think:

If I remember, I might mention it when it goes in for its next check up at my dealers, but I'm Not holding out much hope for any assistance from them. :thumbdown:

Pretty sure it's nothing too nasty as my mpg is still around the same as it's always been, the acceleration is still exhilarating, and the brakes are just as brilliant as they have always been. :thumbup:

If you do find anything out, post it on here, and I will do likewise.
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:17 am
craigdm Regular
Regular

I'll keep you informed if I solve this one.... not worrying too much about it at the moment though.

I'll have a good look round when I take the wheel off next, thinking of Plasti-Dipping them black once we get a bit of good weather!
RCZ 200 GT

Post Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:54 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

So update to an update regarding the strange groan.

I posted an update, but I can't find it now, where I did get it checked out at the dealers when it went in for its 3rd service. They checked it all (allegedly) and found no problems.
However, since then, I have had the occasional groan noise, I thought from somewhere at the front, not rear, and maybe left of centre.

I have now found out, not what it is, but how to make it happen. If I park with my foot on the clutch pedal for any length of time, I get the noise as I move off after releasing the clutch pedal. If I park in neutral, then depress the pedal just before setting off, I don't get the noise.

So it's caused by keeping the pedal down for several seconds, then releasing it, but doesn't happen during normal changes, i.e. Pedal down and back up straight away.

So, the question to all you mechanically minded people out there is, why should it make a difference as to how long the clutch pedal is depressed? And what could be making the noise?

Also, should I be worried about it?
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:38 am
tianorth User avatar

Might be the return spring on the clutch ((if it has one) - lubrication might help).
Release bearing?!?
Might not be any of these either!

Post Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:19 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Went on an hours drive this morning in heavy traffic, and tried purposely to get the noise happening, so I could see just what caused it.
At first, holding the clutch down for many seconds, either in neutral or 1st didn't have any effect. But then after @ 5 or 10 minutes of doing this it started. Quietly at first, but then got louder, and ended up doing it every time I held the clutch down for more than @ 10 seconds.
Still no noise though if I just did a normal change.

From experience with my last car I have a feeling that if I go in to a main dealer & explain what's happening, they will simply say I need a new clutch.

I had a slight judder in 1st gear on my last car (Renault Megane CC) and at 2 years old and 12 K on the clock, they told me I needed a new clutch. I totally ignored them, and at 7 years old with over 50K on the clock, the car was still going strong with its 1st clutch when I sold it. So I am a bit sceptical as to what the outcome will be when it goes in.

So anyone else with any ideas?
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Return to Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension