Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Drivetrain "Death Rattle and P0087 fault,help needed please.

"Death Rattle and P0087 fault,help needed please.

Engine, gearbox, exhaust and other drivetrain issues

Kgouloumis09 User avatar

Kudos: 19
Hi all,

First post here and unfortunately it's regarding a fault

I was wondering if anyone could help shed some light on on a few problems I am experiencing.

I am sadly not covered under warranty so I am absolutely stressing about this. "mil" light came on and informed me "Engine fault repair required" FML!!

Run a diagnostic on this and it is P0087 :Fuel rail/system pressure too low.

Does anyone know how much all this is going to cost to fix?.

Roxy-(my RCZ) is a 2010 1.6 GT Thp 200BHP,full Peugeot Service history 49k miles.
Any help or who I need to contact is very much appreciated. I thought I would ask here first before just taking her to Peugeot and getting done over on repair costs.

Please help!!!
Last edited by Kgouloumis09 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tianorth User avatar

Kudos: 368
Get in touch with Peugeot UK HQ and see if they can help. As it's a common known problem they may assist with the cost or do it free of charge even out of warranty!
Ask as the worst they can say is no.
Call 02476 884000 if in UK.
I would just mention the death rattle and full Peugeot service history see if they are willing to help.
Tia2 is a 2013 RCZ Magnetic in Black with a 2litre diesel engine
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights, quad exhaust tips
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights
Both have dash cams front and back

Kgouloumis09 User avatar

Thank you,I will give them a call Tomorrow. Much appreciated!!

Any one else with any experience of this problem or similar situation?

tianorth User avatar

There have been lots do a search on timing chain, death rattle etc on here and possibly quote this forum to them if they are not being helpful.
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp

Kgouloumis09 User avatar

Is there any chance I could somehow buy an extended warranty due to full Peugeot service history then make them aware of the timing chain issue afterwards?

I could get the low fuel pressure fault fixed elsewhere then buy the warranty?Nit sure how it all works tbh,do they send someone out to check your car first before letting you buy warranty on it?

tianorth User avatar

The low fuel pressure might be a result of the timing chain!
I'm still within warranty do can't help on that front.

RCZ63 Regular
Regular

Kudos: 1
Hi,Kgouloumis09

the you resolved and got the answes to the problems with your RCZ? I am in the same boat looking for some words of widsdom.

Thanks

RCZ63

Kgouloumis09 wrote:
Hi all,

First post here and unfortunately it's regarding a fault

I was wondering if anyone could help shed some light on on a few problems I am experiencing.

I have confirmed that I have the well known issue of the timing chain fault that so many are unfortunately experiencing and was wondering if anyone knows peugeots stance on this as it is a manufacturing fault known on the N13/16/18engines.

I am sadly not covered under warranty so I am absolutely stressing about this. Engine sounded terrible on a cold start yesterday,making rattling noises and engine sounds like a diesel also it made a grunting noise when I revved her up.

To Top this all off "mil" light came on and informed me "Engine fault repair required" FML!!

Run a diagnostic on this and it is P0087 :Fuel rail/system pressure too low.

Does anyone know how much all this is going to cost to fix and if Peugeot will at all cover the known fault on the timing chain.

Roxy-(my RCZ) is a 2010 1.6 GT Thp 200BHP,full Peugeot Service history 49k miles.
Any help or who I need to contact is very much appreciated. I thought I would ask here first before just taking her to Peugeot and getting done over on repair costs.

Please help!!!

Kgouloumis09 User avatar

Turned out the fault code was a fault in in the high pressure fuel pump.
Needed a new pump and new ecu,pump cost £450

RCZ63 Regular
Regular

Thanks for the reply,did Peugeot paid for it? why a new ECU? and the timing chain issues how did you sort it out, did Peugeot cover it ETC.

Thanks

Kgouloumis09 wrote:
Turned out the fault code was a fault in in the high pressure fuel pump.
Needed a new pump and new ecu,pump cost £450

Kgouloumis09 User avatar

New ecu was recommended as a fix for fault,had a new belt installed as well.
£450 was the cost for the high pressure pump only and didn't include labour or other parts.
Contacted Peugeot hq and they offered me a discount of 10 percent as it had very low mileage plus full service history.
In total after discount I spent £2500 as I needed a new clutch too.
Dealership should be able to put in a claim for you as a gesture of goodwill.
Good luck,hopefully it won't be as expensive as mine(shouldn't be no where near as much as I paid)

Lynnie Regular
Regular

I'm having the same problem, rattling when first started in morning, one garage said it could be the wrong oil, one said chain tensioner.. So hopefully will get sorted soon.

RCZ63 Regular
Regular

Thanks, Kgouloumis09 for your reply, if something positive comes out I will let you know

Kgouloumis09 wrote:
£450 was the cost for the high pressure pump only and didn't include labour or other parts.
Contacted Peugeot hq and they offered me a discount of 10 percent as it had very low mileage plus full service history.
Good luck,hopefully it won't be as expensive as mine(shouldn't be no where near as much as I paid)

Kgouloumis09 User avatar

Hope you have some luck and it's not too expensive.
RCZ63 wrote:
Thanks, Kgouloumis09 for your reply, if something positive comes out I will let you know

Kgouloumis09 wrote:

Re:

Post Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:41 pm
Dean6 Member

Kudos: 7
Hi - I have just got the dreaded P0087 code come up. Didn't have any rattles as I have already had the timing chain changed, but engine did seem a little lumpy.

Called AA out and he said to change the fuel filter. I have the 200 THP petrol and I've just been told by the Peugeot garage that my model doesn't have a replaceable fuel filter.

AA also said that the petrols do not have the high pressure fuel pumps - so I'm a bit lost now.

Anyone else with a 200 THP have this problem and had it sorted?

Cheers

Kgouloumis09 User avatar

Dean6 wrote:
Hi - I have just got the dreaded P0087 code come up. Didn't have any rattles as I have already had the timing chain changed, but engine did seem a little lumpy.

Called AA out and he said to change the fuel filter. I have the 200 THP petrol and I've just been told by the Peugeot garage that my model doesn't have a replaceable fuel filter.

AA also said that the petrols do not have the high pressure fuel pumps - so I'm a bit lost now.

Anyone else with a 200 THP have this problem and had it sorted?

Cheers

See my previous posts,you need the high pressure fuel pump replacing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:

Post Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:21 pm
Dean6 Member

Thanks for getting back to me...

Don't suppose you know where abouts it is on the car? I've downloaded the Peugeot Service Manual and I can't find it anywhere on there???

tianorth User avatar

Which bit are you looking for, the filter or pressure pump, or both?

tianorth User avatar

Pressure pump

This is the only thing I can find with fuel and filter

Re:

Post Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:08 pm
Dean6 Member

Thanks for that...

Am I correct in saying that the THP 200 petrol does not have a replaceable fuel filter?

Sorry to sound so vague but the AA and Peugeot are telling me different things. I tend to agree with Peugeot but just checking.

drdino Senior Member

AA man doesn't know what he is talking about, he's probably giving generic advice. No user replaceable fuel filter on the petrol model, and of course it has a high pressure fuel pump. It's located on the side of the cylinder head and driven by the intake cam.

Next

Return to Drivetrain