Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Drivetrain Temperature Sensor Fault

Temperature Sensor Fault

Engine, gearbox, exhaust and other drivetrain issues

Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:55 am
richard.au User avatar

Kudos: 52
Yep, looks the same to me. Double check the temp under the hood, as well as the coolant. If they are in order, then it could be the sensor again.
2012 THP 200
Pearl White
Grey FauxLeather
19" Onyx Solstice Wheels
Tyre Pressure Sensors
Xenon Directional Lighting
JBL Sound
8GB USB stick

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:38 am
Tomas_90 User avatar

Kudos: 193
Had this thing come on today for no reason.

While cruising at 86 km/h the temp gauge went to full temp (130º) for 2 seconds then dropped down to steady 89ish degrees afterwards and then stayed there. Was only about 1 km away from home.

When i got home the cooling fans were going at maximum rpm when idling and they kept on going after i turned the engine off even tho the temp inside the car was still at 89º.

I assume the sensor is faulty so should i go ahead and call Peugeot right away?
Peugeot RCZ THP 200 -11
Pearl White
JBL HiFi Pack
Bi-Xenon - Blue Vision Ultra - LED DRL's
19" Sortilége Mat Black Onyx (Summer)
18" Peugeot Original - Terrific (Winter)
Black Calipers

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:49 am
jassyo06 Senior Member

Kudos: 743
Tomas_90 wrote:
Had this thing come on today for no reason.

While cruising at 86 km/h the temp gauge went to full temp (130º) for 2 seconds then dropped down to steady 89ish degrees afterwards and then stayed there. Was only about 1 km away from home.

When i got home the cooling fans were going at maximum rpm when idling and they kept on going after i turned the engine off even tho the temp inside the car was still at 89º.

I assume the sensor is faulty so should i go ahead and call Peugeot right away?

No matter call them anyhow,the car normally struggles to start first thing,as the automatic choke is disabled,the fan then goes beserk....this is before you even drive the car.if your does this from stand still its the infamous temp sensor

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:03 am
Tomas_90 User avatar

Never had any problems starting. The fan was probably running cause it thought the car was overheating since it dispayed that for a second.

I was out for another "test drive" now about 12 km and everything was fine so i don't know. Maybe i'll hold back and see if it happens again. Then i'll call.

I'll be driving some more tonight and tomorrow eitherway so i'll just hope for the best :D
Peugeot RCZ THP 200 -11
Pearl White
JBL HiFi Pack
Black Calipers

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:32 pm
stevebasshead User avatar

Kudos: 326
Sounds like how mine started, at first I got the warning every few days and it didn't matter whether the engine was already warm or stone cold. Each time it lasted a couple of seconds and then went back to normal. But it started happening more and more frequently. Sorted under warranty but had to wait 3 days for the parts to arrive.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Post Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:39 am
anders Newbie

Kudos: 0
Hi !
During weekend same problem occured for me during ride on german autobahn with 200km/h for longer periods. The car is out of warranty, but fortunately for 5 days ago Peugeot i Denmark had made a general recall for the cars covering this issue - so we just have to put the car to the workshop tomorrow, and have the things done :-)

Cheers Anders
Anders Brandt
Denmark
Peugeot RCZ THP 200 2011
Saab 900 Turbo 1996
Volkswagen Touran 2.0 TDI 2006

Post Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:26 pm
Tomas_90 User avatar

Right, i changed the coolant temp sensor today so hopefully it will behave from now on :)
Peugeot RCZ THP 200 -11
Pearl White
JBL HiFi Pack
Black Calipers

Post Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:45 am
richard.au User avatar

Kudos: 52
Tomas_90 wrote:
Never had any problems starting. The fan was probably running cause it thought the car was overheating since it dispayed that for a second.

I was out for another "test drive" now about 12 km and everything was fine so i don't know. Maybe i'll hold back and see if it happens again. Then i'll call.

I'll be driving some more tonight and tomorrow eitherway so i'll just hope for the best :D

There's a high likelyhood that if its happened once, it's going to do it again, and again.

Just my thoughts on it.
2012 THP 200
Pearl White
Grey FauxLeather
19" Onyx Solstice Wheels
Tyre Pressure Sensors
Xenon Directional Lighting
JBL Sound
8GB USB stick

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:07 pm
JumaJum Regular
Regular

Kudos: 2
Here in Finland all RCZ cars (THP 200 that is) have been issued a "call back" because of temp sensor. I took mine back and less than an hour the sensor was changed. That is second time for me. First was January 2012. I do not know who makes this part for the engine but they are not doing a good job, I guess.

As far as I understand of this, part number might be 1611178280 P Temp Sens.

I hope this will fix that issue.

Juma
RCZ THP 200
Pearly White
RaceChip Pro 225PS (via Dynamometer) 330 Nm
K&N Air Filter

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:57 pm
Tomas_90 User avatar

JumaJum wrote:
Here in Finland all RCZ cars (THP 200 that is) have been issued a "call back" because of temp sensor. I took mine back and less than an hour the sensor was changed. That is second time for me. First was January 2012. I do not know who makes this part for the engine but they are not doing a good job, I guess.

As far as I understand of this, part number might be 1611178280 P Temp Sens.

I hope this will fix that issue.

Juma

Mine was also fixed on that same "call back" campaign. Also took just one hour.
Peugeot RCZ THP 200 -11
Pearl White
JBL HiFi Pack
Black Calipers

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:56 pm
sercanozbay Regular
Regular

Hi everyone,

I'm from Turkey and experiencing the same problem. My car has exceeded its warranty period :(

How much will it cost to replace the sensor?

Post Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:23 pm
Poppy1 Newbie

Not happy - have only had my brand new rcz for 3 months - done less than 1000 Kms and the temperature gauge is appearing to be faulty! Twice in the last two days it has headed into the maximum and warned me to stop driving - that's pathetic for a brand new car.... Was warned off buying a Peugeot by so many people - even though I love my car I have never had this sort of problem with any other brand - especially a fault where you're warned to Stop driving immediately! Very unimpressed :(

Post Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:19 pm
Tomas_90 User avatar

There's is nothing actually wrong with your car and you don't need to stop driving. It's just a sensor that's faulty, you don't need to replace the whole engine.

It's a common problem for all cars with this particular engine so don't get worked up over small things.
Peugeot RCZ THP 200 -11
Pearl White
JBL HiFi Pack
Black Calipers

Post Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:03 pm
bigmac3161 User avatar

Kudos: 733
I know wot u mean I was warned of Peugeot by lots of people. But I've had mine 19 months and bar topping up the oil and coolant once and pumping up the tyres once it's been faultless :) Which can't be said of the last 2 BMW's I had :(
PURE WHITE VOLKSWAGEN GOLF R
BORN JULY HOPEFULLY
18" CADIS ALLOYS

Post Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:26 pm
stevebasshead User avatar

Kudos: 326
Tomas_90 wrote:
There's is nothing actually wrong with your car and you don't need to stop driving. It's just a sensor that's faulty, you don't need to replace the whole engine.

It's a common problem for all cars with this particular engine so don't get worked up over small things.

Yep, I'll second that. Same engine as used in the BMW Mini for example, if you didn't know Poppy1, and it was a joint development between Peugeot and BMW.

So welcome to the forum and please don't worry too much. I was warned off buying an MG a few years back which turned out to be the most reliable car I've owned. People have less ACTUAL knowledge than they think and rely on prejudice and perpetuation of out of date information. No car will ever be 100% reliable as a quick check of the forums for other brands will show.

The temp sensor is a well known issue and you should have no problem with a warranty repair from your dealer.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:02 pm
kieran999 Newbie

Kudos: 4
Hi all,

Started mine at lunch ( 2010 200 GT with 15k miles ) drove for 1 minute and then the needle hit max and told me to switch off the car, 2 seconds later dropped back to normal then hit red again.

Switched the car off and touch wood has been ok since.

I've got the car in a Robins and day Derby tomorrow and want a idea of what I'm up against as it's only a month out of warranty and it's last service by them.

They have already told me I've got a bill for £54 diagnostics when I get there.

Thanks

Kieran

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:50 pm
Tomas_90 User avatar

It is the sensor that needs replacing. Takes about an hour to fix. If youre lycky maye they will do it on some kind of goodwill
Peugeot RCZ THP 200 -11
Pearl White
JBL HiFi Pack
Black Calipers

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:04 pm
mrizzle User avatar

Kudos: 1570

Hi there kieran. If you have only recently bought the car then I think your greatest hope of avoiding a bill is by arguing that the car wasn't fit for purpose at the point of sale. Otherwise, if it's out of warranty alone then, I'm afraid you don't have an awful lot of comeback.
Former owner of: Dolphin Blue 156 GT, feline kit (black mesh grille and quad exhausts)
Black Onyx Solstice Alloys
380/360 led drls.
Osram Nightbreaker Plus Gold Edition bulbs
K&N Air Filter.
Personalised plate.

The replacement; Summit White Astra (J) GTC VXR

Post Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:11 am
khatkar User avatar

Have just had this problem for the 2nd, previously (while it was under warranty) the dealership didn't detect any problems and just reset the error codes. It's now 7 days out of warranty and the garage have offered a discounted £150 repair bill.

Feel a bit gutted now as I've previously reported exactly the same issue and other countries have a recall for this issue why not here?

Probably not going to go ahead with the job, the car suffers from this issue intermittently and the down side is the cooling fan goes mental.

Any opinions on whether this was a good price for the repair?

I
GT 200 - Charcoal Black - JBL HiFI Pack/Vision Pack/NG4 3D SatNav/Lama Integral Leather/Black Calipers/Black Grille/Front Spoiler
Ordered Aug 16th - Delivered Oct 15th

Post Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:17 pm
hanswuk User avatar

Kudos: 165
Is the temperature sensor that has caused so much trouble the thermostat / sensor combined unit?

The Peugeot numbers are:
THP156 = 1336-Z6 / THP200 = 1336-CC / HDi = 1336-AS

If so, for those that are out of warranty, I'll see if I can obtain at a lower price to ease the pain!
Dolphin Blue GT 200

PreviousNext

Return to Drivetrain