Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Drivetrain Buzz / rattle on engine shutdown (1.6 petrol)

Buzz / rattle on engine shutdown (1.6 petrol)

Engine, gearbox, exhaust and other drivetrain issues

Wilco Regular
Regular

Kudos: 1
The above noise is coming from the engine bay of my RCZ when I turn the engine off. Only lasts for 3 - 4 seconds. Some overrun of some description? Anybody else get the same noise?

Many thanks.

rcz200it Regular
Regular

Kudos: 2
Seems like another mk1 156 thp time chain to me..

neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 538
Hi, could possibly be a loose heat shield, try listening with the bonnet up and let someone rev the engine then turn off while you listen to see where the noise is coming from.
Good luck hope it's nothing to worry about. :eusa-think:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Wilco Regular
Regular

rcz200it wrote:
Seems like another mk1 156 thp time chain to me..

Thought if it was that, the noise occurred when switching the engine on? Particularly if engine was cold?

Wilco Regular
Regular

I've roughly narrowed it down location wise to between the engine & the bulkhead & approximately between the centre & drivers side. Can't see anything moving & it doesn't happen every time the engine is switched off. Long shot, but does that narrow it down for anyone?

DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 1126
Is the air filter cover on properly ?
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Wilco Regular
Regular

None of the above, but thanks for those suggestions.

Took the car into my local Peugeot dealer for a recall engine management software upgrade, & asked them to look at it.

They said it was something to do with the ecu & was perfectly normal!

I remain unconvinced. Any chance that somebody with a 156 petrol engined car could have a listen to theirs when turning the engine off please? :helpme:

Immediate silence or a buzzing noise for a few seconds? (Nb; I can't hear my noise unless the car doors or windows are open)

Many thanks. :thumbup:

tianorth User avatar

Kudos: 371
Any chance you can record the noise?
Save it to somewhere like onedrive or similar, then share link on here.
Is noise there when car is ticking over with bonnet open?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Tia2 is a 2013 RCZ Magnetic in Black with a 2litre diesel engine
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights, quad exhaust tips
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights
Both have dash cams front and back

Wilco Regular
Regular

I shall try to record it. Doesn't happen when the engine is running though - just after the ignition is switched off. Positive it's not the engine itself.

marinipersonal Senior Member

Kudos: 13
Petrol engine the turbo is watercooled ad oil cooled. If the turbo is hot when the engine is switched off, the pump will work for few seconds to make sure the hot oil don't damage the turbo. Same with my 1.8 FSI. Sounds weird, but if it's what I'm thinking, that's the explanation.

marinipersonal Senior Member

Kudos: 13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8LFpErosmk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIEiI2voxp8

That's the noise when it's belt related. Some may experience less, some more. Mine was sorted after replacement.

Wilco Regular
Regular

So, I've been into my local Peugeot dealer & have been assured the noise is nothing to be concerned about.

Apparently it is the turbo solenoid control valve making the noise, but it is not effecting performance & is not going to break. This noise can happen after a while so the mechanic said (mine is a 2010 model with 55k on the clock). He was also an RCZ driver & was telling me about the engines mods he did on his car, so it sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

Wilco Regular
Regular

So, solenoid replaced by my local (known for years) independent garage &............

Bugger all difference. Well done Peugeot dealer mechanic - wrong diagnosis you donut & now I've spent £160...

[email protected]/30/59.caf

I've just taken a recording of the noise from my iPhone, a copied & pasted the file to this note. No idea if that'll work, so I'll hit submit & see what happens!

Wilco Regular
Regular

That didn't work & I can't attach a caf file to a post it seems. Double grrrr!

RCZIain Moderator

Kudos: 202
Upload it to youtube.
Not a Peugeot anymore, after god knows how many years. I now drive a 2013 Toyota GT86, called Steven.

Wilco Regular
Regular

Anybody know how I can put an MP3 on a post? Unable to do via an attachment....

Wilco Regular
Regular

RCZIain wrote:
Upload it to youtube.

No YouTube account...

RCZIain Moderator

Wilco wrote:
RCZIain wrote:
Upload it to youtube.

No YouTube account...

Make one then man. Unless you can upload video via Tapatalk.
Not a Peugeot anymore, after god knows how many years. I now drive a 2013 Toyota GT86, called Steven.

Wilco Regular
Regular

RCZIain wrote:
Wilco wrote:
RCZIain wrote:
Upload it to youtube.

No YouTube account...

Make one then man. Unless you can upload video via Tapatalk.

Hopefully this link will work then!

https://youtu.be/ocPsxu0VvUQ

RCZIain Moderator

Yah that works.
Sounds a bit odd doesn't it. Not sure if mine does that. Haven't really listened though when turning it off.
I was more concerned with the cold start noises.

Next

Return to Drivetrain