Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Drivetrain Clutch noise?

Clutch noise?

Engine, gearbox, exhaust and other drivetrain issues

Post Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:31 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 1126
So, an update on my Z. It went in first thing on Monday, and my ride for the week is pictured below....

I got a call yesterday saying they had now had confirmation from the warranty people that they were willing to pay for everything, including the new clutch plate, so they were then ordering the parts.
This meant that at the earliest, I might get the Z back late on Friday :shock:

It seems I might have to put a bit mor Diesel in the 308 after all :eusa-think:
Attachments
F4873783-6E94-4194-BAD6-20EBC2430E53.jpeg
F4873783-6E94-4194-BAD6-20EBC2430E53.jpeg (44.2 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:34 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Ha, as I was posting the above, I got a call from Evans Halshaw, my car is now ready to collect :thumbup:

So I’m off now, not a moment too soon, to get my Z back :dance:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:04 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Got my beautiful Z back, :dance: OMG driving home was amazing compared to taking the 308 115bhp diesel loan car back.

I did notice when I got back greasy marks all over the front of my car, and on opening the bonnet, there were oil spillages over the rocker box.

Not very professional :eusa-think: :thumbdown:
Attachments
FE7FE24D-5682-432F-BC27-A3BFF4217A94.jpeg
FE7FE24D-5682-432F-BC27-A3BFF4217A94.jpeg (30.04 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
3CE6469F-1310-429A-AD3F-66B1DA4E37A4.jpeg
3CE6469F-1310-429A-AD3F-66B1DA4E37A4.jpeg (37.55 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:57 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 538
Great news they got it sorted under warranty :dance: how is the clutch now can you tell any difference? Has the noise gone?

Shame about the mess under the bonnet no pride some folk! :thumbdown:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:56 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

So far so good, no noise, but of course it was an intermittent thing anyway, but I can’t see how it can still make any noise after they replaced literally everything to do with the clutch & flywheel ( they gave me the invoice for my records - £1590 :o ).

It does feel different, not as much resistance on the pedal as before, but the biting point seems to be in roughly the same place as before.
At least I know the car had a new clutch at 34k so that can only be a good thing & always a feature to mention if I ever sell it.

It only took a minute or two to clean the car up, but then, that’s the point it’s it? It wouldn’t have taken anyone any effort at all to just wipe the marks off - Sloppy :eusa-think:

Good result though :thumbup:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:34 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 538
Sounds like a great result Pete glad it's worked out in your favour :clap:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:27 pm
rczpool Newbie

Kudos: 0
Your car still ok ?

My wife has had similar problems - had clutch/flywheel etc replaced and noise came back again a few months later.

Post Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:48 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

So far so good :thumbup:

Since it was all replaced it’s been fine. :dance:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Wed May 02, 2018 2:30 pm
Nemi User avatar

Kudos: 57
I guess i will need new clutch/flywheel soon :eusa-think:

Occasionally i hear this grinding noise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSqkmkttP0k when moving off from a standing start and also when idling i hear this knocking noise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji7lq7BeO9c (at 00:10) which disappears when clutch is pressed.

Unfortunately i don't have any warranty so everything has to be paid by me :thumbdown: I already spent more than 1000 EUR last month for a new high pressure fuel pump and timing chain kit so don't want to spend another 1500-2000 EUR for clutch problem. This is getting expensive :-)

Maybe i'll fix this problem sometime in the future when it gets worse :eusa-think:

Post Wed May 02, 2018 3:10 pm
RCZ-R User avatar

Kudos: 267
Nemi wrote:
I guess i will need new clutch/flywheel soon :eusa-think:

Occasionally i hear this grinding noise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSqkmkttP0k when moving off from a standing start and also when idling i hear this knocking noise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji7lq7BeO9c (at 00:10) which disappears when clutch is pressed.

Unfortunately i don't have any warranty so everything has to be paid by me :thumbdown: I already spent more than 1000 EUR last month for a new high pressure fuel pump and timing chain kit so don't want to spend another 1500-2000 EUR for clutch problem. This is getting expensive :-)

Maybe i'll fix this problem sometime in the future when it gets worse :eusa-think:

If I recall correctly you own an R as well.
I had those issues too and was able to drive around them for many thousands of kilometers before it got really worse. Finally as the clutch pedal started to fall to the floor while sitting at traffic lights or occasionally I was not able to select a gear I booked for a service. Clutch plates were still good as new but the clutch springs were worn out. They did not "spring" anymore.
RCZ R in red. driven daily. and driven hard.
Dyno results here: http://www.peugeotrczforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10118

Post Wed May 02, 2018 5:43 pm
Nemi User avatar

I own THP 200 but thanks for the reply :thumbup: I have been told that this is nothing too serious right now. Apart from that noise i don't have any issues yet :eusa-think: I hope my clutch can handle trip to European meet :-)

Post Wed May 02, 2018 6:20 pm
Nemi User avatar

Also, i wonder if anyone has tried to convert dual mass flywheel to a solid mass flywheel on RCZ :eusa-think:

Post Wed May 02, 2018 9:57 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

Kudos: 607
Nemi wrote:
Also, i wonder if anyone has tried to convert dual mass flywheel to a solid mass flywheel on RCZ :eusa-think:

Nemi excuse me but I am ignorant, what is the differences between the two?

Thanks Mick.
:lol: Laugh and the whole world laughs with you.... or is that at you? :eusa-think:

Former owner of Dolphin Blue GT200 fully loaded inc. Quads / Xenons.
Now on second white* R
currently sporting an Avery
Roaring Thunder Gloss flip colour wrap.

Post Thu May 03, 2018 6:37 am
Nemi User avatar

Dual mass flywheel (DMF) has moving parts so it can wear out. In fact, when you change clutch it is recommended to change DMF as well and that is expensive. On the positive side, DMF makes engine feel smooth as it absorbs vibrations. Some say that DMF helps to improve lifetime of engine and transmission by reducing vibrations.

Solid mass flywheel (SMF) doesn't have moving parts so it doesn't wear out and in theory will not need to be replaced. Also it is cheaper. Of course with SMF engine wouldn't feel so smooth but i guess on petrol that is not a big issue.

My mechanic friend suggested me to consider getting SMF and also i have seen other mechanic suggesting that :eusa-think: They say that DMF is just an expensive unreliable nice-to-have feature.

Post Thu May 03, 2018 12:27 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

Kudos: 607
Thanks Nemi - I understand that perfectly..
:lol: Laugh and the whole world laughs with you.... or is that at you? :eusa-think:

Former owner of Dolphin Blue GT200 fully loaded inc. Quads / Xenons.
Now on second white* R
currently sporting an Avery
Roaring Thunder Gloss flip colour wrap.

Previous

Return to Drivetrain