Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Drivetrain Mk2 chain rattle

Mk2 chain rattle

Engine, gearbox, exhaust and other drivetrain issues

Post Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:42 pm
Mcb2007 Regular
Regular

Kudos: 13
Just out of interest how many others have had the timing chain rattle on the mk2 1.6 TPH156 engine .
Apart form Boroboy and myself, and did they sort it under warranty without issue.

Post Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:09 pm
Mcb2007 Regular
Regular

Cool, nobody else just us two that bought the Friday afternoon specials .

Post Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:13 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 882
Mine's a 200 & (touch wood) been OK to date. It's 3 years old next month 26k. Goes in for its 3rd service on 6th September. They are also doing its 1st MOT :o
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:30 am
Boroboy Member

Kudos: 4
Mcb2007 wrote:

Just got ours back. Hard to tell yet if it's sorted all of the engine noise. How's yours now from a cold start?

Post Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:04 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 222
Hi, mine 156thp needed replacing at 17k just out of warranty but because the car had full service history by indi garage Peugeot didn't want to know!
Luckily indi dealer l bought it from had to pay Peugeot to do the repair.
Two years on and All's well although I've only covered another 7K in that time. :beer:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:23 pm
Mcb2007 Regular
Regular

Boroboy wrote:
Mcb2007 wrote:

Just got ours back. Hard to tell yet if it's sorted all of the engine noise. How's yours now from a cold start?

All seems good so far no rattle ,fingers crossed .

Post Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:43 am
Lynnie Regular
Regular

Kudos: 1
Just had mine sorted, it's the time chain tensioner, not expensive, but if that doesn't cure it, then you need a ne chain and that's what will be expensive.

Post Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:32 am
Mcb2007 Regular
Regular

I hoped they checked your chain for any stretch , mine was just out of the tolerance range so they changed that ant the guides . You would have thought they would have replaced yours as a good will gesture . Are you covered under warranty ? Or was it down to cost.

Post Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:40 pm
rcz_r1 Regular
Regular

Peugeot replaced the chain tensioner on my Rcz R last week after an oil leak. The car still under warranty.
It is from the 2014 and has 34000 km now.
This is a video of the engine sound this afternoon. Do you find this a notmal sound?
https://www.4shared.com/video/9ChNq4icei/trimE6811D9B-EEFA-468C-ABD0-1A.html

Post Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:13 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Hi no that don't sound right needs to go back to dealers asap. :eusa-think:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:34 pm
mmssgg Newbie

Kudos: 0
It appears to be a "known" problem and pretty poor showing that these timing chains on the petrol are going down as well as causing engine damage in some cases - what has Pegout done about this?

During a service by Pegout, is the timing chain and tensioners checked?

The car we bought is the rarer automatic.

All help appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by mmssgg on Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:33 am
Sanity Senior Member

Kudos: 43
mmssgg wrote:
Hi

However, been reading re 'timing belts/chains' - this appears to be a known problem.

During a service by Pegout, is the timing chain and tensioners checked?

Thanks

Yes its a known problem.

No they dont check during a service.

chain rattle from engine bay on a cold start will most likely be a indication of a replecement needed.
156hk engines are more present with this issue then the 200hk.
on Diesels this isnt a issue as they have belts instead of chain.

Post Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:57 pm
mmssgg Newbie

Kudos: 0
ok, thanks

I am a bit surprised that a design fault is allowed to go on for so long without being rectified and revised parts.

Post Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:51 pm
RCZIain Moderator

Kudos: 96
There are revised tensioners.
2011 RCZ GT 200, Shark Grey. Feline styling pack (quads :p ) Vision pack lights. JBL upgrade.

Post Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:07 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

There is a revised tensioner and guides which are a little beefed up. One of the issues is that with the tensioner being hydraulic it needs a plentiful supply of good quality clean oil, some of these engines seem to use a little oil so need to be kept an eye on the level, also I’ve heard Peugeot are now recommending using Total ineo first as your regular service oil, this is the oil Peugeot use in brand new engines.

Post Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:05 am
Boroboy Member

Unfortunately these engines suffer from numerous issues. Down to bad design. Same engines that are used in the mini cooper s, some BMW's too. Timing chains should not be failing at these mileages. I've always kept an eye on my oil level, serviced by the main dealer.

Return to Drivetrain