Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Drivetrain burning oil?

burning oil?

Engine, gearbox, exhaust and other drivetrain issues

Post Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:47 pm
pgregory Regular
Regular

Kudos: 1
hi
I am surprised that my rcz 200thp(asphalt) is getting through as much oil as it is
i filled up the oil to the top of the dipstick when i first got it in March and have now done almost 2000 miles
When i dipped it yesterday , its about half way down on the dipstick

is this normal, or should i be worried
there is no evidence of any oil leaks anywhere btw

Post Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:35 am
Dean6 Member

Kudos: 7
Hi - mine is exactly the same...

I have to top mine up every 2 -3 weeks. No signs of any leaks etc. Never had a car use so much oil before??

Post Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:36 am
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 538
Hi Paul, I believe this is quite common.
I don't do that many miles but I do top up quite regular. :thumbup:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:38 am
tianorth User avatar

Kudos: 371
It might be finding it's own level.
Keep an eye on it.
The coolant in my RCZ-R is happy just above minimum if I put any more in it just gets rid of the excess, obviously don't let it go below minimum.
Tia2 is a 2013 RCZ Magnetic in Black with a 2litre diesel engine
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights, quad exhaust tips
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights
Both have dash cams front and back

Post Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:39 am
RCZash User avatar

Kudos: 142
Hi
Never put any oil in mine, between services.
2012 Asphalt
2015 208 GTI Prestige

Post Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:41 am
pgregory Regular
Regular

Kudos: 1
thanks to everybody who responded
seems to be hit or miss whether your engine burns a lot of oil or not
will certainly keep a close eye on it now i am aware of it

cheers
paul

Post Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:19 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 1126
I have found this car to use the most oil of any car I have owned. That said, it is not excessive, as Chris said, you just need to monitor the level, and keep it topped up.

I wasn't aware of this when I bought the car, and assumed that I didn't need to look at anything in particular under the bonnet as I was having it serviced annually under a service agreement, and having free safety checks in between, again under the agreement.

I had a low oil warning on the dash. PANICK :o :helpme:

When I checked, the dipstick was below minimum (when I eventually could find a level in the ridiculous dipstick). So I topped it up, it took a day or so for the warning to go, but all fine since. I top it up every now & then, not really recorded amounts needed, just accepted that the Prince engine is a bit of an oil user.

Just keep an eye out for oil patches on the ground, oil on the engine, or black smoke from the exhaust. If this is not happening I think you just have normal usage.
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:33 pm
Sanity Senior Member

Kudos: 43
You can try another manufacturer. some oils suits certain engines some don't.
I'd say that as long as the engines pulls and performs normal there is no worrying even if it consumes some oil.
I use some castrol type and I top up oil (0,5-1litre) between a service. When I first bought the car I had the top up message almost imidiatly. Dont know what oil the owner before used but the car didnt seem to like it.

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:44 pm
Boroboy Member

Kudos: 4
I realise this is an old thread, but thought I'd add to it. My wife has owned a 156 for over a year now, on a 64 plate & covered around 37k now. Using oil at a rate of around 1/2 a litre per 1800 miles covered. No leaks from what I can see. I topped it up twice last year. 1800 miles on from its last service, its lost half a litre. Its the highest oil consumption I've known from a modern/newish car. I'm monitoring it more closely now.

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:11 pm
tianorth User avatar

Kudos: 371
High consumption is 1 litre to 500 miles I think.

But it is normal for some of these engine to use oil and/or coolant.
Tia2 is a 2013 RCZ Magnetic in Black with a 2litre diesel engine
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights, quad exhaust tips
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights
Both have dash cams front and back

Post Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:04 pm
tony1968 User avatar

Kudos: 43
Short journeys usually use more oil than long ones so if most of your trips are short then thats why you have a higher than average consumption.

Post Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:54 am
Boroboy Member

tony1968 wrote:
Short journeys usually use more oil than long ones so if most of your trips are short then thats why you have a higher than average consumption.

No the shortest trip is usually around 20 miles. From a bit of research I've done, its common for these engines to use oil under any journey. Very rarely thrashed, unless I get my hands on it. Although I clean & wash it on a regular basis, alongside my 165 oil burning Astra.
Last edited by Boroboy on Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:58 am
Boroboy Member

tianorth wrote:
High consumption is 1 litre to 500 miles I think.

But it is normal for some of these engine to use oil and/or coolant.

It uses very little water/coolant.
From what I've now learnt oil consumption is not uncommon with these engines. Obviously more than one manufacturer use them. Including cooper s engines. Just spoke to a guy who owns a 200bhp rcz, yes his car uses oil too. Ours has from when we bought it at 27k. Annoying but true for a modern engine.
1 litre = 500 miles, it'll be doing the long jump lol.

Return to Drivetrain