Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Drivetrain Cam-shaft Cover and Cooling fan?

Cam-shaft Cover and Cooling fan?

Engine, gearbox, exhaust and other drivetrain issues

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:46 pm
Edin_RCZ Newbie

Kudos: 1
Hi,
Having some issues with my wee RCZ, hoping someone can help out...

I drive a 2012, Petrol 1.6 (156 hp) RCZ. I noticed oil starting to weep from the side of my engine where the metal/plastic meets. I guessed it was time for a new gasket (I have also gone through the famous timing chain death-rattle :-) . I assumed the garage didn't replace it when fixing). This was unsuccessful- so I guess I'm looking at having to replace the cam-cover.

However, i have also noticed that my cooling fan now runs a *Lot*. As soon as I start her up it runs. After I turn off the engine, rather than running for about 20ish seconds its now minutes (8-10 minutes). More recently, this has flattened my battery :roll: .

Changing the PCV didn't help.

Before I go ahead and replace the cam shaft, can someone advise what this fan issue might be. Is it linked to needing a new cam-cover? (From the other discussions about this i haven't seen these two items connected, but it seems too much of a coincidence).

The temperature needle never jumps up to maximum and down which i have seen could indicate a sensor problem. What tends to happen is on a drive i get to 90°C and if i need to slow down it drops off to 70-80°C.

No error codes have ever popped up - and a code reader just told me my battery voltage was low.

Hope you can help!
Cheers

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:09 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 691
Hi and welcome :greetings-wavingblue: rocker cover gasket is a common issue mine was dry as a bone until the timing chain was replaced, I’ve had the gasket re done but it’s still leaking so like you’ve already said a new rocker cover is needed to sort the leak.
Your fan issue will not be connected to the rocker cover leak.
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:39 pm
Edin_RCZ Newbie

Hi :-D

Thank you for responding so quickly! Glad I'm not alone with the cam cover. Is there a specific make I should go for. Any issues there?

And any thoughts on the fan if not connected? what made me think of it was because ive heard the fan runs crazy if you leave the oil cap off. I cant feel any suction or blowing.

It can't be related to the 6 hours of summer we had. That's over and it's still doing it. :lol:

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:03 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 691
You’ve got to go genuine part for the rocker cover I think it’s a matter of probably over tightening and maybe over time the plastic becomes brittle?
As for the fans I know as you’ve stated duff temp sensors cause this but I’m sure the fans run mad with the smallest of sensor issues try disconnecting the coolant level sensor on the expansion tank that has been known to cause the same issue.
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:42 pm
Edin_RCZ Newbie

Thank You
I will let you know how i get on.

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:39 am
Plecodoras User avatar

Kudos: 804
I agree with all the help Neil has given, I had the temp sensor thingy and disconnected the expansion tank sensor, that fixed that lol.
But what I wanted to add is that a dying battery can throw up some very unusual faults and you mention battery voltage low. Worth having the battery checked out they are meant to be only good for 3 to 5 years.
Hope you get it sorted and keep us informed.
Cheers M.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
:lol: Laugh and the whole world laughs with you.... or is that at you? :eusa-think:

Former owner of Dolphin Blue GT200 fully loaded inc. Quads / Xenons.
Now on second white* R
currently sporting an Avery
Roaring Thunder Gloss flip colour wrap.

Return to Drivetrain