Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Drivetrain Temperature gauge problems

Temperature gauge problems

Engine, gearbox, exhaust and other drivetrain issues

Post Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:40 pm
Jacknagington Regular
Regular

Kudos: 2
Hi guys, replaced my temperature sensor on my rcz 2010 1.6thp 156bhp because the gauge goes up and down as I’m driving along and very rarely sits in the centre any ideas what else it could be?? Heaters get hot but then go cold if I don’t thrash it HELP!!!! Pleaseeee

Post Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:46 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 538
Hi and welcome, there have been issues of faulty new sensors but more probably thermostat/housing problem :eusa-think:
Any coolant loss at all?
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:51 pm
Jacknagington Regular
Regular

No loss of coolant at all and the fan kicks in when it’s supposed to so not thermostat, possible air lock?

Post Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:30 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Jacknagington wrote:
No loss of coolant at all and the fan kicks in when it’s supposed to so not thermostat, possible air lock?

Could well be there is a bleed screw to purge air out of the system near the thermostat housing. :thumbup:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:31 pm
drdino Senior Member

Kudos: 21
Sounds like a duff thermostat.

Post Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:56 pm
Jacknagington Regular
Regular

Any idea where mate? Picture?

Post Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:44 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

It’s on top of the thermostat housing a black plastic cross cut head screw you don’t have to turn it far to release air/coolant so whatever you do don’t just unscrew it!
It’s on the right hand side of the engine block
Zoom in on photo it’s in the centre Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:59 pm
Jacknagington Regular
Regular

Yeah found it seemed to help didn’t get the time to do it properly will do it tomorrow and let you know, anymore advice will help tho guys

Post Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:33 pm
Jacknagington Regular
Regular

Update tried bleeding it still doing it managed to get it to stay at 90 degrees but if I drive it or put the air con on it starts to play up any ideas guys??

Post Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:14 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Did you get any air out? And when your driving it what amount of fluctuation is there on the gauge?

Post Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:06 pm
Jacknagington Regular
Regular

Left it open a while whilst some cooolant came out, it just doesn’t go up to 90 at all while it’s driving only when it’s standing still and will sit just above 50

Post Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:50 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 1127
Sounds like it could be a faulty sensor. The fan & heater may well react to the info from the temp sensor, so if it is dodgy, it could throw up a few issues.
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:41 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

The faulty sensors usually send the temp dial sky high and throw up a dash warning with loads of fan action, your getting over cooling so to me sounds like the thermostat is faulty. The thermostat is encased in a plastic housing so it all has to be changed not a real expensive job and can be done by the Home mechanic there are a few tutorials on YouTube.

Post Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:00 am
Jacknagington Regular
Regular

Aren’t they a full unit? All in one with the housing?

Post Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:48 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Jacknagington wrote:
Aren’t they a full unit? All in one with the housing?

Yes exactly. :thumbup:

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:52 am
Jacknagington Regular
Regular

Update!...... purchased new housing for 36 pound, fitted for 35 cured the problem!!! Thanks for your help guys

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:44 am
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Jacknagington wrote:
Update!...... purchased new housing for 36 pound, fitted for 35 cured the problem!!! Thanks for your help guys

Great result, not an expensive fix glad it’s sorted :beer:

Post Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:53 am
rcz200it Regular
Regular

Just a curiosity..all rcz stand at precisely 90c in reality it is just so we don't get worried..in reality if you put an obd reader the car usually runs between 105/107c

Return to Drivetrain