Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion General Technical R on full lock

R on full lock

Anything about the RCZ that doesn't belong in the forums below including Service & warranty questions

Post Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:01 am
RCZ-R User avatar

Kudos: 150
That merc is horrible. But it doesn't surprise me going by the deteriorating quality of their products.

If your R is doing the same then it is not OK, only by comparing it with my R. My R doesn't do that at all. It only occasionally jumps on wet concrete surfaces on full lock in crawl mode which is OK. But never on tarmac or other surfaces.
Maybe I should also do a video on that. Just for comparison.

@bradmate
Just watched your video. This is really horrible. And I agree with you, it shouldn't be like that.
RCZ R in red. driven daily. and driven hard.
Dyno results here: http://www.peugeotrczforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10118

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:20 pm
bradmate Regular
Regular

Kudos: 0
Hi RCZ R. I am pleased you can now see that what is happening to my car is far from normal. The video you watched does not even show the problem at its worst. I was fearful driving the car at speed as in the back of my mind I was concerned that the front end would collapse. The dealer has now had my car since 9th January and waiting for the parts to arrive from France. At the moment I do not consider the car as fit for purpose and will only take the car back with a guarantee that the problem is fixed. At the very least I believe Peugeot should extend their new car warranty for a further 12 months when the existing warranty expires in June.

I am so disappointed as I really love the RCZ R, fantastic car to drive and always brings a smile to my face.

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:23 pm
RCZ-R User avatar

Finger crossed it will get resolved! Pls keep us updated on it.
Indeed, the R makes you want to drive, drive, drive...

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:25 pm
RCZ1 User avatar

Kudos: 1400
This only happens in winter with cold, wet weather and when manoeuvring slowly, turning full lock. It's to do with the type of surface too. Once spring comes and the weather warms up, it doesn't happen. It does it on my R too each winter but only in winter.
Mk 2 Sport 156 Moroccan Red Bespoke Nappa leather
Black Roof Arches Sports Pack Sat Nav K&N Filter Philips Diamond Vision lights

RCZ Sport 156 in Pearl White Bespoke Nappa leather interior with RCZ motif
K & N High Performance Air Filter 360/60 LED DRLs Phillips Extreme +100% Headlights Custom Car Mats

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:58 pm
bradmate Regular
Regular

I agree, only happens in winter with cold weather and when manoeuvring slowly. Happens whether it is wet or dry and the surface makes no difference. The reaction though is so violent that it cannot be right. The problem is that there are so few of these cars on the road that the issue probably doesn't get the attention it should. If it happened to say 1% of all fiestas, focus or any other high volume car then the manufacturer would certainly address the issue seriously. As mentioned by others, and indeed the technician at my Peugeot dealer, it could be to do with the tyres being cold and not gripping on full lock. I have found the colder the weather the worse the problem is. My view is that if this is the case then Peugeot have got the steering geometry wrong i.e. the lock is too great.

Interestingly, as far as I am aware my supplying dealer has not had any reports of similar problems from other owners of RCZ's and RCZ R's they have sold.

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:34 pm
RCZ1 User avatar

Kudos: 1400
It only does it with my R never my other RCZs. I think it's the tyres skipping as you turn full lock and the LSD is trying to adjust for balance /control. I'm not in the least bothered about it. I know it doesn't do it from Spring onwards and the car is spot on there-on-in.
Mk 2 Sport 156 Moroccan Red Bespoke Nappa leather
Black Roof Arches Sports Pack Sat Nav K&N Filter Philips Diamond Vision lights

RCZ Sport 156 in Pearl White Bespoke Nappa leather interior with RCZ motif
K & N High Performance Air Filter 360/60 LED DRLs Phillips Extreme +100% Headlights Custom Car Mats

Post Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:53 am
RCZ-R User avatar

A high number of cars affected by an issue is not a guarantee the car maker will take care of it. We have seen this plenty of times. Even recently. Ford and their DSG boxes? VW? Almost every car maker.

The only occasion where I do experience this effect on my R is when driving very slowly, on full lock, on wet and slippery concrete surface. Typically in parking lots. Then I get those crawling noises from the tyres (from left tyre when on left lock and vice versa) where the tyre thread is pushed on lock over the surface (cause the LSD is locking it).
But while it happens, there are never ever any vibrations in the steering wheel, nothing I can actually feel. Nor does the car itself jumps or shudders. Nothing like this. It is only a weird noise coming from the tyres. That's it.
And by the way, it does it also during summer time when wet.
The tyre wear off is also not affected by the LSD. Both front tyres wear off gradually and even over the whole width.

Recently the temperatures dropped as low as -12 °C and still there were no issues.

Post Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:25 pm
Joske User avatar

Kudos: 31

This problem happens with a lot of cars.
On my HDi-RCZ I have the issue sometimes.
Sometimes I felt a slight vibration in the steering wheel. Took in back to the dealer and verdict is a kind of oversteer what happens sometimes. It has a lot of possible causes.
Cold weather, tire wear, ...

The 2008 is also know for this issue.

For some reason the tire can not completely follow the path it shoudl follow when you turn the wheel. In that moment it slides a littlebit forward what, depending on surface conditions, can cause vibrations or slight jumps or...

It's a little bit a result of tires getting wider and wider, and cars need to have an as small turning circle as possible, and...
- Peugeot RCZ HDi GT - Image
- Peugeot 309 GTi16
- Peugeot Partner 170C

Belgian Peugeot enthusiasts: http://www.peugeotforum.be

Post Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:08 pm
drdino Senior Member

Kudos: 14
It's not a problem, it's the result of Ackerman geometry.

Post Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:22 pm
bradmate Regular
Regular

My Peugeot dealer has fitted the LSD, clutch and flywheel as authorised by Peugeot UK. Was called yesterday, 14 February, to be informed that it has not cured the steering knock and vibration problem. The dealer has though taken into stock an RCZ with 19" wheels and fitted with Pirelli tyres. They took the front wheels from the RCZ and put them on my R. The wheels from my R were fitted to the RCZ. I was told that the knocking did not occur on my car with the Pirelli tyres but did occur on the RCZ with my R wheels fitted with the stock Goodyear Eagle tyres.

I have pointed out to my dealer that on very cold mornings when reversing out of my garage, that the steering felt very notchy with only minimal corrections to the steering. I was never convinced that the LSD was the problem but then I am not a mechanic and have to assume that the experts, i.e. Peugeot UK know what they are doing. I still think they are shooting in the dark and I am not at all convinced that it is a tyre issue. The knocking and vibration is just too great even at less than walking speed when employing near to full lock. I have said from the outset that I feel it may be something to do with the power steering, but hey what do I know?

Perhaps those who have experienced similar problems can post what make tyres they have fitted to their cars. I am sure that the Goodyear Eagles were the tyres fitted by Peugeot when the car was new and have looked at road test reports where it can be clearly seen from photos that the Eagle tyres were fitted. My car has not yet covered 10000 miles and when I first reported this problem in January 2016 it had done less than 5000 miles.

I am now waiting for a call from my dealer to let me know what, if anything, the next course of action will be. Now been without the car for a total of nearly 3 months since the issue was first reported.
Last edited by bradmate on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:59 pm
tianorth User avatar

Kudos: 319
I have had the same issue in my RCZ-R, my dealership replaced the top mounts (I believe), but still happened, so they replaced the shock assembly.
The mechanic noted that the two halves of the shock were contacting .
He has done something, don't know what but it stopped happening for a while.

Get the them to talk to Robins and Day Cribbs Causeway Bristol, Phil Rawlings service manager, he is aware of my RCZ-R especially if mention the forum!
Tia2 is a 2013 RCZ Magnetic in Black with a 2litre diesel engine
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights, quad exhaust tips
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights
Both have dash cams front and back

Post Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:40 pm
bradmate Regular
Regular

Thanks for your post Tianorth. My dealer replaced the top mount to the offside only in December, but made no difference. I will suggest they call your guy in Bristol. Do you only have the problem in cold weather and is the reaction you get i.e. the knocking and vibration very violent? Also, what tyres are fitted to your car and what is the mileage? Thanks.

Post Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:03 pm
RCZ-R User avatar

I also had the excellent GoodYear tyre on my R. I used those tyres way into the cold season (almost until Dec of 2014). Never had those issues as reported by you. Back then the tread was down to 2 or 3mm which makes the tread pattern more "hard" compared to a new tyre where the tread can "walk" a bit minimizing those effects. But again, no issues at all.
Only on wet concrete, at very low speed like 5mph, you could hear the tread jumps a bit. No vibrations in the steering, nothing ugly ongoing.

Your guess on the steering is pretty spot on, especially if you suffer from a steering which is not self-centric. Swapping the LSD and clutch was a bad idea.
Keep in mind, the R has hydraulic assisted steering driven by an electric motor. There is a fluid in the system.

Post Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:28 pm
drdino Senior Member

Kudos: 14
It's normal, some tyres will just hide or exacerbate the issue.

Post Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:08 pm
Kgouloumis09 User avatar

Kudos: 11
This is happening on my rcz when dry steering on concrete in the wet,Michelin pilot super sports 19",I have only ever noticed this in the wet,on an un level concrete floor and when the car has just started up,when turning the wheel it feels like something is about to break and you can hear the wheel rubbing and a knocking noise.
I thought that something was broken until I see this post,more than likely a tire tread issue or tracking/wheel alignment problem.
I'd consider getting those checked first as I will be doing the same to see if this stops the problem and also to cure the wheels knocking when absolutely flooring it down the road.
So not an exclusive problem to the "r"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:05 am
bradmate Regular
Regular

Today, 17 February, I have just returned from my dealer after checking for myself the results of the wheel swap, see my post 15th February. The donor RCZ fitted with the wheels from my R with Goodyear Eagle tyres did produce the knocking and vibration, though to a much lesser extent, however the temperature today is not so cold. My own R fitted with the donor car wheels and Pirelli tyres did not produce any knocking or vibration. I am now 95% certain that it is a tyre issue but am surprised that this has not been picked up by Peugeot UK. The dealer has agreed to replace the two front tyres with Pirelli P Zero and I will pay the cost price to replace the two rears. The service manager said they have a 2008 coming in with a similar problem, so will be interesting to know if that is fitted with Eagle tyres.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank my dealer, Portfield Peugeot, Chichester, West Sussex, for all their help in trying to resolve this issue.

Post Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:31 pm
renegade79 User avatar

Kudos: 320
The 2008 won't be sporting 19's with Goodyear tyres so that is unlikely to be a similar issue.
308GTi THP270 in magnetic blue

RCZ gone but not forgotten

Post Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:41 pm
bradmate Regular
Regular

Most of the new Peugeot cars in the showroom are fitted with Goodyear tyres so a good bet that the 2008 will also be fitted with Goodyear, but of course not with 19" wheels.

Post Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:39 pm
tianorth User avatar

Kudos: 319
Your not too far from me as I'm in Fareham.
Tia2 is a 2013 RCZ Magnetic in Black with a 2litre diesel engine
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights, quad exhaust tips
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights
Both have dash cams front and back

Post Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:27 pm
bigfishes Newbie

Kudos: 1
Thank all for postings on RCZR, esp bradmate and tianorth. I am new Forum member, but ran 205Gti for 15 years (160k mls) from 1989, overlapped with a 306Gti6 from 97 for ten years (120k mls) lesson: tie rod joints creak at c.100k mls, otherwise no problems. Then 7 yrs with a 207Gti - responsive engine, but..... Anyway, the noise on cold days in winter 2015 from RCZR was much more troubling than anything experienced previously from Pugs.

tianorth will know soberton, hants; so I use Perry's and Hamble Motors. My RCZR now has 18800 mls from 1st reg Oct 14. Has the same noise problem (drive-train/steering/suspension?) that puzzles Main Dealers. I deduced in recent cold weather 2016/17 that problem is weather dependent (cf some oil filled shock absorbers when cold). Dealer investigation winter 15 cd not replicate noise thus assumed all was well, despite my 'fishing' suggestions inc smooth tarmac operation/full lock L&R.

Noting tyres are topical, I have OS front Goodyear Eagle but NS a NS NANKANG -1 (not my choice - but similar spec!)

Separately - a comment on manufacturers being slow to act - I also have a Powershift (twin clutch system) 2013 Fiesta, now on third clutch at only 30+k mls but at last okay; since design/material change introduced by Ford c.June 2016. Nb. clutch assembly has a 5 year Warranty because of initial design fault.
I mention that for what it's worth, if necessary to pursue Peugeot UK.... but some Peugeot dealers in France also puzzled by RCZR drivetrain noise/vib.

PreviousNext

Return to General Technical