Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion General Technical Low Oil Level Warning

Low Oil Level Warning

Anything about the RCZ that doesn't belong in the forums below including Service & warranty questions

Post Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:46 pm
renegade79 User avatar

Kudos: 320
marinipersonal wrote:
I think should be fine. I would use some vacumm oil extraction mechanism so you can solve the problem now.

https://teon.co/cars/peugeot-rcz-petrol ... extraction

I'm using one, and it's really easy. For some models you may need thinner tubes, but once you get the one you need, doesn't takes more than 10 minutes for an oil change. Price wise, it was quite cheap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5l-or-4l-Oi ... 1e7a902860

very cool idea. nice find :clap:
308GTi THP270 in magnetic blue

RCZ gone but not forgotten

Post Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:47 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 850
Thanks for the heads up on the tube size too :thumbup:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:47 pm
PeterRCZ Member

Kudos: 16
Can someone kind please let me know which type of oil I should be topping up with. I looked in the handbook but couldn't see any information ?
I have a 2010 petrol 156. Auto
Many thanks
Original classic GT
Pearl White
Onyx Black Solstice alloys,
Sat Nav
Black leather
Auto

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:53 pm
2retro User avatar

Kudos: 387

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:14 pm
PeterRCZ Member

Kudos: 16
Thanks very much. That's great !
Original classic GT
Pearl White
Onyx Black Solstice alloys,
Sat Nav
Black leather
Auto

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:13 pm
renegade79 User avatar

Kudos: 320
DKZ5745 wrote:
Good call on the oil extractor marinipersonal, might give that a whirl, so long as I don't take too much out, get a low oil warning message & we can start this thread all over again :wtf:

did you ever get this problem sorted out?
308GTi THP270 in magnetic blue

RCZ gone but not forgotten

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:19 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Yes, I did slightly over fill thanks to the magic dipstick that makes oil disappear, but the day after, the low oil warnings went away, and haven't (touching wood as he types) reappeared.
I never did get round to trying to extract the small amount that was overfilled, but last time I checked, it seemed to be more or less, maybe, if I could actually see the level, back to nearer the full mark.

So, that means, either I didn't overfill as much as I thought, or, or I actually do have some kind of leak that isn't leaving puddles on the drive, or the car has somehow burned off the excess oil, or I couldn't actually read the dipstick any better then than I can now.

Anyway, all seems well :thumbup:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:36 pm
gman76 Regular
Regular

Kudos: 2
OOI, the difference between min & max on the 156/200 is 1.2 litres according to my info.

Post Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:55 pm
AndyLanson User avatar

Kudos: 43
I had a dodgy sensor for the oil level on my old 406 coupe and managed to overfill the oil by about 3/4 litre.
Spoke to local garage and they were very helpful, using a suction mechanism to remove excess oil. This can be more destructive than too little oil I am told.

My cars going in for its first service on the 14th, it's first birthday, and am going to get it filled with Castrol Magnatec fully synthetic C2 grade.

I have found that Castrol Magnatec has always been very good. Not fully Peugeot spec, but as Peugeot are heavily sponsored by Total this is what they tend to use.

In my opinion the Castrol is a higher quality oil, you may of course not agree.

Certainly wont cause any adverse effects,
Andrew Ryan: We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us.

Post Sun May 21, 2017 11:03 am
Cuore Sportivo User avatar

Kudos: 67
Had the oil level warning/top up oil message myself today.

Dipstick looked to be just above minimum.

Topped up to max with approx 3/4 of a litre. Warning hasn't gone though.

Reading the various threads it seems it may go by tommorow ?

Fingers crossed.

Post Sun May 21, 2017 11:41 am
jr4070 Senior Member

Kudos: 37
I had to wait overnight for my oil level warning to extinguish. Just under a litre to make it go out.. I have spoken to the same dealer in swindon ref usage of oil , it appears that the prince engine uses oil.. Not out the back so much but recycled and ditributed all over the back of our valves...Clever move BMW/PEUGEOT/CITROEN. Alot of the hard core mini gang use a catch tank. Stops it getting recycled in the combustion cycle but introdues a maintenance penalty of emptying your tank...https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mini+ ... kNbADrirNM: Not seen a Z with one, but I bet there is one out there somewhere...

Post Sun May 21, 2017 12:03 pm

jr4070 wrote:
I had to wait overnight for my oil level warning to extinguish. Just under a litre to make it go out.. I have spoken to the same dealer in swindon ref usage of oil , it appears that the prince engine uses oil.. Not out the back so much but recycled and ditributed all over the back of our valves...Clever move BMW/PEUGEOT/CITROEN. Alot of the hard core mini gang use a catch tank. Stops it getting recycled in the combustion cycle but introdues a maintenance penalty of emptying your tank...https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mini+ ... kNbADrirNM: Not seen a Z with one, but I bet there is one out there somewhere...

Thanks for that.

Mine seems to use oil very illogically. None for months then half a litre, then none for months again.

I suspect it's the crappy dipstick giving crappy readings.

Post Sun May 21, 2017 2:37 pm

Sensor warning has reset after a couple of hours.

Great learning for me, not to keep topping up based on the electronic warning, and to use the dipstick (as bad as it is as) your best guide.

Post Sun May 21, 2017 4:17 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 205
Hi guys, it's a must that the oil level on these engines are regularly checked and kept topped up,when the warning light comes on you have a big possibility of damaging the timing chain/ chain tensioner regardless of MK1 or MK2 RCZ.
Also Peugeot are recommending Total ineo first as the oil to use,this is what Peugeot use in new engines. :thumbup:

The dipstick is a pain and the way I read it is to dab it on a piece of kitchen towel and read the mark from the residue.
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Sun May 21, 2017 9:07 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

I have found that holding the dipstick perfectly horizontal at eye level and looking at the underside of the dipstick, you can see where the level is............

Sometimes :eusa-whistle:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:18 am
sanpiseth40 Newbie

Kudos: 0
23 sep. 2012 - It took my dealer better part of a week to get the data needed to answer this question: When will the low oil level warning light go off? You would ...
บอลพรุ่งนี้

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:56 am
DKZ5745 User avatar

I found it was the next day before my low oil level warning disappeared after topping up. Don’t overfil in an attempt to get the warning to go away. Just ensure there is sufficient oil in there & give it time - if it still persists, it might just be a sensor fault, but have it checked out just in case - it’s too important to take chances with.
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:41 pm
ianGT156 User avatar

Kudos: 33

A consequence of overfilling the oil ...

I bought a brand new 205 GTi 1.6 in 1986. At that time there was a product called Slick 50 which apparently still exists! It was something like a teflon coat for the engine, to keep it super lubricated and to improve performance.

You were supposed to drain the same quantity of oil from the engine as the amount of Slick 50 you were about to add. I took a gamble and didn't drain anything. About 250 miles later, I was "racing" another car on the M6. As I was passing him in the outside lane, flat out, there was suddenly a massive amount of white smoke from my exhaust but it stopped almost immediately. I thought I'd blown my engine up and very sheepishly slowed right down. I didn't feel any feedback from the engine and the car continued to run perfectly.

I never got this smoke checked out and assumed it was just the engine reacting to and burning up the excess oil. The car never had an engine fault in the approximately 30K miles I owned it. Of course the worst thing was the embarrassment of letting the other car win. I was only 24 years old :evil:
RCZ 156 GT Mercury Grey 2013 £9960 - Now named Rozie!
Remap to 181.9hp and 300.7 Nm £354.
Private Plate RCZ 2820 (£365)
Cleaning Kit Bits (£400+)
Recaro Car Seat Protector £22.50 (for the dog)
Photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... 2741446218

Post Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:02 am
frankvdb User avatar

Kudos: 79
ianGT156 wrote:
A consequence of overfilling the oil ...

I bought a brand new 205 GTi 1.6 in 1986. At that time there was a product called Slick 50 which apparently still exists! It was something like a teflon coat for the engine, to keep it super lubricated and to improve performance.

You were supposed to drain the same quantity of oil from the engine as the amount of Slick 50 you were about to add. I took a gamble and didn't drain anything. About 250 miles later, I was "racing" another car on the M6. As I was passing him in the outside lane, flat out, there was suddenly a massive amount of white smoke from my exhaust but it stopped almost immediately. I thought I'd blown my engine up and very sheepishly slowed right down. I didn't feel any feedback from the engine and the car continued to run perfectly.

I never got this smoke checked out and assumed it was just the engine reacting to and burning up the excess oil. The car never had an engine fault in the approximately 30K miles I owned it. Of course the worst thing was the embarrassment of letting the other car win. I was only 24 years old :evil:

Usually white smoke is water. When you burn oil you get blue smoke. You get large amounts of white smoke when you blow up a turbo, but the 205 only was naturally aspirated. No idea what it could have been.
My car history:
2010 Peugeot RCZ HDi 163hp blue tuanake full options
2001 Peugeot 307 3-door XSi HDi 110hp blue recife
1995 Peugeot 306 3-door XNd 70hp rouge analou

Post Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:23 am
Plecodoras User avatar

Kudos: 195
From all the knowledge I have gained when you overfill the oil, you can blow the oil seals due to the extra pressure created by having to much oil. As someone else noted on here, overfilling your oil can be worse than low oil, but both have serious consequences which cannot be ignored.

As Neil has pointed out, this engine needs pampering like a baby when it comes down to oil levels, so don't forget to give your dipstick the attention it deserves !!!! :dance: :thumbup:

:beer:
:lol: Laugh and the whole world laughs with you.... or is that at you? :lol:

Previous

Return to General Technical