Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion General Technical Engine sound system removal

Engine sound system removal

Anything about the RCZ that doesn't belong in the forums below including Service & warranty questions

Post Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:12 pm
Lkooman Regular
Regular

Kudos: 4
Hi guys,

My rcz asphalt has the sound system membrane thing onboard which artificially amplifies the engine sound.

I want to remove the system because it's resonant at highway speed and next month my exhaust will be changed.

Does anybody know how to remove the system safely. I can disconnect the hose from the cabin

Thanks!

Post Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:17 am
XeviouS Regular
Regular

Kudos: 8
Conversely, if anyone knows how to modify the sound system to make it louder...I'd love to know how! :D
2010 THP 200
- Pearl White with Black Leather
- 19" Sortilege Matt Black Onyx Alloys
- Front and Rear Parking Sensors
- Vision Pack
- JBL HiFi Pack
- K&N Air Filter

Post Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:32 am
Abzynthe User avatar

Kudos: 1025

XeviouS wrote:
Conversely, if anyone knows how to modify the sound system to make it louder...I'd love to know how! :D

You could try and remove the diaphram so its constant.

RCZ performance removed his, so maybe he can help :)

Post Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:46 am
stevebasshead User avatar

Kudos: 326
Is it not the vibration of the diaphragm that creates the noise? Air is sucked past one side causing a pressure difference, the diaphragm bends then flaps back the other way as it reaches its maximum elasticity and this process repeats and the flapping creates the noise we hear inside the car. {Edit: I've just read the info on the 3rd picture posted above and that is indeed exactly what it does}

I think removing the diaphragm will only let you hear the air rushing to the turbo, and likely adversely affecting the turbos performance as it'll be sucking air from the resonator pipes as well as the air intake.

I think I remember reading about there being foam bungs in the resonator pipes. If my memory is indeed right then perhaps removal of the bungs would increase the noise.

Post Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:48 pm
RCZ-R User avatar

Kudos: 150
stevebasshead wrote:
I think I remember reading about there being foam bungs in the resonator pipes. If my memory is indeed right then perhaps removal of the bungs would increase the noise.

sounds interesting. Will have a look into it on my R this weekend. The R already has a quite roarty sound but a bit more of it wont hurt 8-)
RCZ R in red. driven daily. and driven hard.
Dyno results here: http://www.peugeotrczforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10118

Post Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:27 pm
Abzynthe User avatar

Kudos: 1025

stevebasshead wrote:
Is it not the vibration of the diaphragm that creates the noise? Air is sucked past one side causing a pressure difference, the diaphragm bends then flaps back the other way as it reaches its maximum elasticity and this process repeats and the flapping creates the noise we hear inside the car. {Edit: I've just read the info on the 3rd picture posted above and that is indeed exactly what it does}

I think removing the diaphragm will only let you hear the air rushing to the turbo, and likely adversely affecting the turbos performance as it'll be sucking air from the resonator pipes as well as the air intake.

That makes sense. I think I was thinking it worked like a one way valve.

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:03 am
thornebt User avatar

Kudos: 16
I've never heard of this system before. Was it only fitted to particular models or was it an optional extra?

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:09 am
bigmac3161 User avatar

Kudos: 738
Every 200 and R I think
PURE WHITE VOLKSWAGEN GOLF R
BORN JULY HOPEFULLY
18" CADIS ALLOYS

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:44 pm
Lkooman Regular
Regular

thornebt wrote:
I've never heard of this system before. Was it only fitted to particular models or was it an optional extra?

In the netherlands all 200's.
Seems that i'm the only one who wants to get rid of the system :eusa-think:

Post Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:48 am

Lkooman wrote:
thornebt wrote:

In the netherlands all 200's.
Seems that i'm the only one who wants to get rid of the system :eusa-think:

Perhaps packing the resonator pipes with more foam will reduce the sound or eliminate it. Use closed cell foam not open cell, open cell allows air to pass through and therefore carries more sound.

Post Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:02 am
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 843
XeviouS wrote:

If you have any success with that, ExviouS, don't forget to post the results & method on here, I'm sure there will be many that would also like to do this :!:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:50 am
Lkooman Regular
Regular

Because it seems that everybody whants more sound i decided to take a look in the pipes. I removed the pipes from the membrane and there aren't any restrictions in both pipes. I think you nee to change the membrane.

Edit: there's a splitter in the inlet pipe, see last picture. I removed it and give it a try. Don't think this gives a better sound...

Friday i changed my filter to a pipercross inlet filter and i my opinion it sounds better/louder than K&N.

Post Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:39 am

Great post, thanks.

Something I didn't pick up on from your original posting, you say yours is resonating at highway speed. This is odd as I only hear mine when I accelerate, I never hear it otherwise. I guess the question should be, are you absolutely certain your noise is coming from here?

Post Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:19 pm
Lkooman Regular
Regular

I've been out for a test drive and there's a sligt decrease in sound with removed splitter.....

stevebasshead wrote:
Great post, thanks.
Something I didn't pick up on from your original posting, you say yours is resonating at highway speed. This is odd as I only hear mine when I accelerate, I never hear it otherwise. I guess the question should be, are you absolutely certain your noise is coming from here?

I removed the sound pipe and the resonating at highway speed is gone, it isn't very loud but its annoying. At the moment i'm driving without connect 3d system because it's back to peugeot for the 3th time, so i've time to listen to all strange sounds :wtf:

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:51 am
asphalt Newbie

Kudos: 0
My asphalt has the same issue, resonating noise at highway speed. Not when accelerating.
I will check your solution.

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:52 pm
RCZ-R User avatar

@Lkooman
Are you happy with the pipercross?
Considering it on my R...

The exhaust got already way louder than at the beginning. But I'd like a little bit more sound :)

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:01 pm
Lkooman Regular
Regular

RCZ-R wrote:
@Lkooman
Are you happy with the pipercross?
Considering it on my R...

The exhaust got already way louder than at the beginning. But I'd like a little bit more sound :)

I really like the pipercross, the intake sound is better than K&N and it feels like the car is a bit more responsive. This can also be caused by the increased sound.

Post Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:33 am
RCZ-R User avatar

Thanks!

Mine arrived today. Will put it in my R this weekend and give some feedback.
Attachments
91831423817884930.jpg
91831423817884930.jpg (75.5 KiB) Viewed 5049 times

Post Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:23 pm
RCZ-Performance User avatar

Kudos: 249

We removed our sound system a while ago during development with Forge Motorsport of the hard pipe for the THP200:

Hard Pipe:
http://shop.rczperformance.com/product.sc?productId=167

We also sell the Pipercross filter:
http://shop.rczperformance.com/category.sc?categoryId=87

We sell a lot of other products for the RCZ and RCZ 'R':
http://shop.rczperformance.com/main.sc

Post Thu May 18, 2017 10:57 pm
ONLY AEK User avatar

Kudos: 44
So can any of the 200 owners tell me where this pipe steals the noise from?
Or even put a picture how is this connected?
You put me in some thoughts...
thp 156 with 268hp!!!!!!!!

Next

Return to General Technical