Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion General Technical Top up coolant level problem

Top up coolant level problem

Anything about the RCZ that doesn't belong in the forums below including Service & warranty questions

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:42 am
dinrcz Regular
Regular

Kudos: 0
Hello folks,

my rcz (thp 200, 22 000km) has a problem. "Top up coolant level message". i filled up with water (1 liter) and check back in morning...everything is ok, but today i drive my car and warning message will be here...(only 150km) :cry: :roll: Top up coolant level.

Where is the problem? Water pump?

Anybody has a problem with water pump?

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:38 pm
jassyo06 Senior Member

Kudos: 743
this happened on my display yesterday but hasnt popped up again i checked the diagnostic log on the display but it wasnt logged on the memory of the car so i will keep a eye on it

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:03 pm
RCZ1 User avatar

Kudos: 1400
When I was checking my levels last weekend, my coolant level was close to the minimum level, so I filled it with coolant, not water, back to a good level and no problems.
Mk 2 Sport 156 Moroccan Red Bespoke Nappa leather
Black Roof Arches Sports Pack Sat Nav K&N Filter Philips Diamond Vision lights

RCZ Sport 156 in Pearl White Bespoke Nappa leather interior with RCZ motif
K & N High Performance Air Filter 360/60 LED DRLs Phillips Extreme +100% Headlights Custom Car Mats

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:03 pm
cozza User avatar

Kudos: 14

Mine has just been in for a new sensor under warranty and they said they have had a couple back with this problem so it may be this guys. I was getting the red rippling water in a square container light, see picture.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342375424.242115.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342375424.242115.jpg (12.35 KiB) Viewed 4281 times
Freelance Chauffeur & Professional Photographer/Videographer with a Dolphin Blue, 156bhp Petrol from Cambridgeshire (P1X CB)

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:19 pm
eyetiepie Senior Member

Kudos: 2
same with me. i had sensor replaced last week because of same problem and they said they had a few back. they had to get the part in on order which took a few days, so perhaps you could tell them the issue when booking it in, and maybe they'll order it for you? they had had a few back in for replacement too
RCZ 156 GT Charcoal

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:20 pm
nelliebear Senior Member

Kudos: 14
My coolant was down below min yesterday but no warning lights... so topped him up and all good for another 54k miles lol
Opal White / Opal Dirty - Sport HDI now 2014 Mercury Grey HDI 'B1GHE4D'

Normally found on the M4 between London and Cardiff and Stoke

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:29 am
yerlanguy Regular
Regular

Kudos: 9
I had my RCZ in the shop Tuesday for the nasty boiling red-hot popup of a radiator on the screen (same as cozza). They said the coolant was slightly low so they topped it up and performed the first interum service (7700 miles). That evening the missus drove my car to a meeting and got the same popup, then yesterday I got a message 'top up coolant' or similar on the display over the radio.They said Tuesday the computer says all is well...

They did suggest that the sensor inside the coolant system (or radiator) could be faulty - no kiddin. So now I have to take it back - these ****** must have no idea how inconvenient it is to have to take my car back there three days after it was already in there... :evil:

There really is no need for this sort of language - hence edited post.
Sometimes there are more than one possible reasons when a fault occurs so its a process of elimination. Obviously the first thing that the dealer did, has not sorted the problem so I'm sure they will look at other possibilities.
Last edited by RCZ1 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate language - RCZ1

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:02 pm
robertereid Newbie

Kudos: 0
My RCZ now been in the garage on two occasions for nine days in total to rectify this problem. Booked in again tomorrow for another warranty replacement part, hopefully just for the day. Problem now for 4 months,

RCZ 156GT Nera - Regd June 2010

Post Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:59 pm
Nemi User avatar

Kudos: 22
First day with my RCZ and i randomly get these messages... :crazy: Temperature is ok, coolant level is in the middle of MIN/MAX. Maybe faulty sensor? In owner's manual it says that coolant level should be close to MAX so i hope this warning will go away after i top up coolant :eusa-think:
MK2 200 GT Pearl White

Post Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:36 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 850
As you can see from this thread, it is not unheard of for the Z to have sensor problems, and this area is one those. It may well be the case, but you should always check the coolant level to be certain, as low coolant would be far more dangerous than a sensor fault.
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:50 pm
RCZIain Senior Member

Kudos: 69
I've done mine. £20 from eBay and about 3 minutes.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk
2011 RCZ GT 200, Shark Grey. Feline styling pack (quads :p ) Vision pack lights. JBL upgrade.

Post Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:19 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 205
Just a quick note on the subject of coolant levels if your getting the warning message to top up coolant don't just presume it's a sensor fault, you should be checking your coolant level regularly these engines are prone to leaks from the thermostat housing, it's common for it to split and leak coolant. The housing is quite hidden on the passenger side of the engine and you may not notice the odd drop of coolant on your drive especially in warm weather when you have been using your AC (usually leaves a small puddle under the car). If you check you level regularly (when engine is cold) then you will be quick to notice any loss. :thumbup:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:47 pm
2retro User avatar

Kudos: 387
neilgsxr69 wrote:
...usually leaves a small puddle under the car.

Usually followed the first time you see it by "Jesus, is that oil?!". :lol: :?

Post Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:32 pm
stewartwillsher User avatar

Kudos: 46
neilgsxr69 wrote:
Just a quick note on the subject of coolant levels if your getting the warning message to top up coolant don't just presume it's a sensor fault, you should be checking your coolant level regularly these engines are prone to leaks from the thermostat housing, it's common for it to split and leak coolant. The housing is quite hidden on the passenger side of the engine and you may not notice the odd drop of coolant on your drive especially in warm weather when you have been using your AC (usually leaves a small puddle under the car). If you check you level regularly (when engine is cold) then you will be quick to notice any loss. :thumbup:

The puddle seen under the car having had the air cond on, should not be coolant, but is water (as close to distilled as you can get) which has condensed on the evaporator in the air cond unit. It has come from the air all around you.
We have three vehicles with air cond and a large domestic unit for the house and they all do it; [tip] the house one has a tube from which I collect the water in a small bucket for watering sensitive plants. :thumbup:
looking to buy an RCZ in the near future

Post Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:05 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 205
stewartwillsher wrote:
neilgsxr69 wrote:

The puddle seen under the car having had the air cond on, should not be coolant, but is water (as close to distilled as you can get) which has condensed on the evaporator in the air cond unit. It has come from the air all around you.
We have three vehicles with air cond and a large domestic unit for the house and they all do it; [tip] the house one has a tube from which I collect the water in a small bucket for watering sensitive plants. :thumbup:

Edzackery :lol: :lol: yes I probably didn't quite make myself clear :eusa-think: the water residue from the AC is condensate not coolant.
Some members have thought they've had coolant leaks after seeing the AC condensate. :beer:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:23 pm
RCZIain Senior Member

Easy way to check, dip in a finger.
Coolant is slippery, AC condensate isn't.

Not forgetting the difference in smells, obviously.

2011 RCZ GT 200, Shark Grey. Feline styling pack (quads :p ) Vision pack lights. JBL upgrade.

Post Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:39 pm
Nemi User avatar

Kudos: 22
So i replaced my coolant sensor and for 2 weeks everything was all right but today it happened again - Top up coolant level :crazy: I checked my coolant level and it was near MAX. Then i unplugged connector from sensor and noticed some coolant inside connector. I guess this is why i get those messages :eusa-think: I wiggled the sensor and some coolant dripped through that hole where sensor is plugged in. Now i need to figure out how to properly seal that hole.

Is it ok to drive with coolant level sensor disconnected for a while (sensor is plugged but disconnected)? :helpme:
MK2 200 GT Pearl White

Post Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:47 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

Kudos: 195
Nemi,

I really should have used the forum more when I first bought my Z, because I too had the faulty sensor in the coolant tank.
I had to pay for it repaired and for an extra lead because mine was different so the garage told me. Anyway it was ok for a few days, then it came back. This time I took it somewhere else - and he told me it's a faulty water level sensor - just unplug it - it will be fine. So I did and I drove it for ages with it disconnected, in fact when I was robbed by we beat any car price and sold it, I forgot to put it back on ! :eusa-whistle:
So, I would say - Yes disconnect it BUT you must check it on a regular basis because you have just turned of the only notification that you have low coolant and you could run dry which will knacker your engine.

Anyone with a Blue Dolphin GT200 60 plate with cream leather and chrome mesh grill, - check your coolant connector and plug it in !! :thumbup:

:beer:
:lol: Laugh and the whole world laughs with you.... or is that at you? :lol:

Post Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:52 pm
RCZIain Senior Member

I replaced mine not long after I bought the car with an eBay pattern part.
Done at least 3k with it on and had no problems.

Post Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:39 am
tianorth User avatar

Kudos: 319
I'm sure there was another post where a new sensor or blanking plate was fitted.

Anyone know which post? Can you post a link to it?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Tia2 is a 2013 RCZ Magnetic in Black with a 2litre diesel engine
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights, quad exhaust tips
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights
Both have dash cams front and back

Next

Return to General Technical