Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion General Technical RCZ R - Intermittent Front End Whine / Grind Noise

RCZ R - Intermittent Front End Whine / Grind Noise

Anything about the RCZ that doesn't belong in the forums below including Service & warranty questions

Lewligan User avatar

Regular
Regular

Kudos: 23
I've had my RCZ R for a few weeks now, and have noticed a very intermittent whining / grinding noise occasionally coming from the front end.

The main thing to point out is that this doesn't happen all the time.
I can sometimes go on a couple of hour long round trips without any noise whatsoever.

However, sometimes, it does make quite a noticeable noise at the front.
Another thing to mention - this is only when pulling away in first gear.
E.g. if I am just slowly pulling away from traffic lights or stopping then turning at a junction.
Never any noise after I've moved up to second and beyond, and no noises when changing gear.
Drives perfectly other than the odd noise or 2.

Is this just the LSD?
Anything I should be worried about?
Was thinking of maybe getting the oil checked..? Suppose that couldn't do any harm.

I've seen a few theories saying that low temperatures can contribute, but it's been boiling here recently and it still does it intermittently, so I don't think I can blame the weather.

Also, the tyres that are on it at the moment are quite bog standard Nexens, which will be being replaced by some much better quality Michelin PS4s tyres all round within the next week.
Don't suppose the shoddy tyres could be also be contributing..?
The reason the Nexens are on is because they were all changed under warranty not long after I bought it, and obviously my tight arse dealer didn't want to fork out on Goodyears.
However, as mentioned, the Michelins will be on soon, thank god.
Former owner of a black 64 plate Peugeot RCZ R, and a charcoal metallic 12 plate RCZ 200GT.

RCZIain Moderator

Kudos: 203
Tyre scrub is an rcz thing.
Could be that?

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk
Not a Peugeot anymore, after god knows how many years. I now drive a 2013 Toyota GT86, called Steven.

RCZ-R User avatar

Kudos: 267
I have that grinding noise too.
Just do a test, when standing still turn all left and start moving slowly in 1st gear. The noise might come. It comes from the LSD. In general nothing to be worried about.

I suggest you change the gearbox oil. The problem with RCZ R servicing is that no dealer changes the gearbox oil. But especially on a car with LSD you have to change the oil regularly.

You are going to love those PS4s on the R. Just brilliant tyres. Watch out for a new topic I'm gonna post today. It is about Michelin PS4 vs PS4s on the RCZ R. I had a chance to test both on my R.
RCZ R in red. driven daily. and driven hard.
Dyno results here: http://www.peugeotrczforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10118

Lewligan User avatar

Regular
Regular

RCZ-R wrote:
I have that grinding noise too.
Just do a test, when standing still turn all left and start moving slowly in 1st gear. The noise might come. It comes from the LSD. In general nothing to be worried about.

I suggest you change the gearbox oil. The problem with RCZ R servicing is that no dealer changes the gearbox oil. But especially on a car with LSD you have to change the oil regularly.

You are going to love those PS4s on the R. Just brilliant tyres. Watch out for a new topic I'm gonna post today. It is about Michelin PS4 vs PS4s on the RCZ R. I had a chance to test both on my R.

Thanks for your insight, has put my mind at ease!
I will definitely change the gearbox oil too.
After their oversight on the tyres (which resulted in me ending up with those god-awful Nexens on it), I don't really trust them to have checked the gearbox oil.

I have just read your review - brilliant post.
Makes me even more confident that I am making the correct choice in purchasing the PS4s tyres!
Former owner of a black 64 plate Peugeot RCZ R, and a charcoal metallic 12 plate RCZ 200GT.

Guppy Senior Member

Kudos: 103
Lewligan wrote:
I've had my RCZ R for a few weeks now, and have noticed a very intermittent whining / grinding noise occasionally coming from the front end.

The main thing to point out is that this doesn't happen all the time.
I can sometimes go on a couple of hour long round trips without any noise whatsoever.

However, sometimes, it does make quite a noticeable noise at the front.
Another thing to mention - this is only when pulling away in first gear.
E.g. if I am just slowly pulling away from traffic lights or stopping then turning at a junction.
Never any noise after I've moved up to second and beyond, and no noises when changing gear.
Drives perfectly other than the odd noise or 2.

Is this just the LSD?
Anything I should be worried about?
Was thinking of maybe getting the oil checked..? Suppose that couldn't do any harm.

I've seen a few theories saying that low temperatures can contribute, but it's been boiling here recently and it still does it intermittently, so I don't think I can blame the weather.

Also, the tyres that are on it at the moment are quite bog standard Nexens, which will be being replaced by some much better quality Michelin PS4s tyres all round within the next week.
Don't suppose the shoddy tyres could be also be contributing..?
The reason the Nexens are on is because they were all changed under warranty not long after I bought it, and obviously my tight arse dealer didn't want to fork out on Goodyears.
However, as mentioned, the Michelins will be on soon, thank god.

Hi,

I don't want to dampen your spirits, however what you have described sounds very much like the problem I have had/experianced, please see this post:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12233
Red Carbon 200

Lewligan User avatar

Regular
Regular

Hi Guppy,

I did see your videos - the noise that I could hear on yours is much louder and much more prolonged that the sort of noises I get from my front end.

With mine, I am leaning towards it just being a result of the LSD.

Also, the car has had 2 full Robins & Day dealer health checks in the last month (at 2 different dealerships), so I would hope that any clutch issues would have been identified during at least 1 of the checks if there were any.

However, I do know that they don't check the LSD or gearbox oil as standard, so that's going to be my next port of call I think.

Guppy Senior Member

Kudos: 103
Lewligan wrote:
Hi Guppy,

I did see your videos - the noise that I could hear on yours is much louder and much more prolonged that the sort of noises I get from my front end.

With mine, I am leaning towards it just being a result of the LSD.

Also, the car has had 2 full Robins & Day dealer health checks in the last month (at 2 different dealerships), so I would hope that any clutch issues would have been identified during at least 1 of the checks if there were any.

However, I do know that they don't check the LSD or gearbox oil as standard, so that's going to be my next port of call I think.

Hi Lewligan,

Presuming that gear charge is normal? then unfortunately there is no other way to test the clutch without dismantling it which takes 10 hours, therefore it is not cost effective. Any garage willing to check the clutch would probable insist on replacing it as a precaution as the clutch itself is inexpensive.

The noise I was experiencing in heavy traffic while in first gear, was a lot less audible than what you could hear in the video. Sometime I could go weeks without hearing anything.

If you want to put your mind at ease, there is a way of testing the clutch to see if that’s where the grinding noise is coming from (as in video two).

Whilst parked up, with hand brake ON… rev the engine to 2000rpm and engage REVERSE gear and release clutch until you feel the biting point, depress clutch and return to neutral. Repeat 10 times or less if you hear the noise, if you don’t hear the noise after 10 attemps… then happy days.
Red Carbon 200

DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 1126
Sound a lot like the issue a few of our members have experienced, including me. Mine was diagnosed as the dmf flywheel, but the entire clutch assembly including plate was replaced under my extended warranty.

The garage reported that there wasn’t anything wrong with any of the parts they removed, but (touch wood) it seems to have solved the problem.
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Return to General Technical