Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion General Technical Grinding noise - time for a new clutch?

Grinding noise - time for a new clutch?

Anything about the RCZ that doesn't belong in the forums below including Service & warranty questions

Post Wed May 09, 2018 5:05 pm
Guppy Senior Member

Kudos: 103
Hi all,

I know this topic has already been covered in previous threads, however I have managed to record the dreded grinding noise on my dashcam which others maybe able to relate to, thus helping with the diagnosis.

The noise captured is that of a failing 'dual mass flywheel' due to the bearings having worn. The remedy is to have the entire clutch unit and flywheel replaced at around £1600 from a Peugeot dealer.

My RCZ '200bhp' has only covered 36k so this is known as a 'premature failure' as most clutches should last 60k - 100k.

The grinding noise is intermittent and more evident when pulling away on an incline, in reverse gear and sometimes when 'riding' the clutch in heavy traffic. If is also worth noting that gear change remains smooth and unaffected.

The first video in the below link is that of a hill start, and the second being in 'reverse gear'.

I hope these videos help with your diagnosis.

http://www.penninehomesecurity.com/rcz
Red Carbon 200

Nemi User avatar

Kudos: 57
Sounds like an elephant :wtf:

By the way, why you don't you post those videos on youtube instead of some company website? :D

RCZIain Moderator

Kudos: 198
I had the clutch and dual mass flywheel replaced on a 407, my Dad had his replaced on his 407 too.

Neither sounded like that.
A slight rattling and a pulsing on the clutch pedal are the only things we got.

Unless yours is way past were ours were.
Sandra, 2011 200 GT. Shark grey, Ulter Quad exhaust, Vision pack, jbl and Nav.

DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 1114
I had my entire clutch assembly, including flywheel and clutch plate replaced under the Peugeot platinum extended warranty. They said they thought it was the flywheel that had failed and causing the noise, which was just as you describe.

The dealership that did the work said that they couldn’t see anything wrong with any of the parts that they removed, but they were all replaced under the warranty.

Touch wood, it’s been ok since :thumbup:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

howardf Senior Member

Kudos: 66
That noise was a lot more pronounced than mine.
Maybe mine was just on its way out....clutch and dmf were replaced under warranty. Peugeot must know by now there is an issue.
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red
Nav Pack, Black Pack, Vision Pack
Front & Rear sensors
19" Black Onyx Solstice
Simple Black Leather interior Heated Seats

tianorth User avatar

Kudos: 367
Is the sound not release bearing going?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Tia2 is a 2013 RCZ Magnetic in Black with a 2litre diesel engine
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights, quad exhaust tips
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights
Both have dash cams front and back

Guppy Senior Member

Kudos: 103
Nemi wrote:

By the way, why you don't you post those videos on youtube instead of some company website? :D

I've no idea how to upload a video on YouTube, plus the website is my own, so it was more convient.
Red Carbon 200

2retro User avatar

Kudos: 529
Nemi wrote:

I really does! :lol:

DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 1114
They originally thought it was the release bearing on mine, but then decided it was the dmf. The warranty guy thought the same & approved the replacements.

Like I said, they told me there was nothing wrong with any of the parts removed, yet it does seem to have done the trick (so far).
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Return to General Technical