Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion General Technical Weird Electrical noise!

Weird Electrical noise!

Anything about the RCZ that doesn't belong in the forums below including Service & warranty questions

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:37 pm
queenb123 User avatar

Regular
Regular

Kudos: 1
Hello All,

I have another weird noise query!

After driving, switching off engine I hear this from the bonnet:

https://instaud.io/1QqB

Sounds like an electrical charge or something...can anyone help with this please?

My car is always fully serviced, very well looked after and only has 11k miles!

Please help!

Many thanks

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:51 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 1009
It does sound a little like something shorting. Have you had any electrical faults, anything not working correctly or warning messages.

Have you had a listen while the car is running to see if it is doing it then? It might be that you only notice it when the engine is off but that it still does it when the car is running.
Try looking at it in the dark, if it is an electrical short you might see a spark somewhere.
If you can’t find it, it might be worth a trip to the dealer, just to get their opinion.
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:14 pm
tianorth User avatar

Kudos: 354
Are you sure it not the turbo cooling fan that keeps running until your turbo can cool down by itself, without damaging itself?

Sorry can't listen to file atm.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Tia2 is a 2013 RCZ Magnetic in Black with a 2litre diesel engine
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights, quad exhaust tips
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights
Both have dash cams front and back

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:40 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

Kudos: 454
I hear all sorts of noises from mine, mainly the turbo cooing down or the brakes cracking and popping, but nothing quite like that.
Lift the bonnet and see if you can pinpoint the location. Good shout from DKZ, have a look when its dark, shorting should be evident then.
Otherwise trip to local stealer but it should be under warranty?
:lol: Laugh and the whole world laughs with you.... or is that at you? :eusa-think:

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:21 pm
renegade79 User avatar

Kudos: 368
Did you check the heat shields? Are they loose at all? If they are loose then it might be the heat making them move about and knocking against something else!
308GTi THP270 in magnetic blue

RCZ gone but not forgotten

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:28 pm
queenb123 User avatar

Regular
Regular

Hi All,

I have no clue about cars i just love driving my rcz!

@ DKZ5745 - no electrical faults or warnings at all - it only happens when engine is off!

@ Everyone else I will play the noise to my BF and see what he says!

Many thanks.

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:29 pm
tianorth User avatar

That sounded like the fan against the radiator was still running.
And it sounded like one or more blades was catching something, maybe a twig, leaf or could be catching on the shroud.

Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:56 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 373
I think it is something spinning that is either catching something or is failing turbo cooling pump?
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:48 am
queenb123 User avatar

Regular
Regular

Ok now so the heating has stopped working - could these two issues be related somehow?

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:09 pm
tianorth User avatar

Have you got the correct amount of coolant?
If yes does the bottom pipe get hot (going to/from radiator) as this could be a sign water pump has failed, as water is not being pumped round the system.

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:04 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

Kudos: 454
queenb123 just a quick question....

did you get any warranty with your car and did you buy it from a dealer??

I understand it is a low mileage Z and well serviced, but unfortunately you do seem to be having a few problems with the car, and in fairness some of these should have been sorted by the dealer. The noise from before - if it was electrical could well be the reason your heaters not working - though I'd have thought there would of been other signs aswell.
I have had problems with the heater unit on two different Peugeot 307cc's I had and it could be related but with such mileage not likely. Have you checked your service book and MOTS does the mileage come back as correct? just to correlate that they all match up.

cheers and good luck, hopefully you will be able to enjoy carefree driving very soon and start to love the RCZ again.
:lol: Laugh and the whole world laughs with you.... or is that at you? :eusa-think:

Return to General Technical