Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion General Technical Engine air filter - Pipercross or K&N?

Engine air filter - Pipercross or K&N?

Anything about the RCZ that doesn't belong in the forums below including Service & warranty questions

Post Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:47 pm
Wilco Regular
Regular

Kudos: 1
Upgrading the air filter seems like a cheapish & relatively straightforward job - which one out of the above two brands though & why?

neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 167
Either :thumbup: the pipercross is the cheapest I've put one of these in the wife's Mini Cooper S (same engine as rcz) and I've had a K&N in my Z about a year not really noticed any difference with either but they are both superior filters compared to the standard paper item, better airflow and reusable. cleaning schedules are quite long too so win win. :dance:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 813
Check my recent post..... viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10829
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

2retro User avatar

Kudos: 376
DKZ5745 wrote:

:lol:

marinipersonal Senior Member

Kudos: 12
That's personal preference about either one, but way better than the oem, for sure. More noticiable sound and the engine will not strugle when pushed hard. It was my first upgrade.

Post Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:29 pm
Wilco Regular
Regular

DKZ5745 wrote:

The search function excelled itself earlier then........ :roll:

Useful post - time to get on YouTube! :thumbup:

Wilco Regular
Regular

So, I got round to replacing my air filter & fitted................ a £15 Bosch filter!!

After much t'interwebs research decided that;-

1) Yes, a new 'performance' filter makes any car feel perkier after fitting, but then you're replacing an old item with a new one so you would expect an improvement initially. Sure enough, I had a noticeable difference when the Bosch one went in over the tired clogged up one it replaced.

2) I think I'd rather replace the filter for a new one regularly rather than clean one & put it back in.

3) Performance filters allow more air into the engine which is the only reason you might get a more sprightly car. Logically that means they let more debris in too. That debris might be microscopically tiny particles that could make bugger all difference to an engine, but a lot over time surely can't be beneficial? My own opinion was that I wanted a cleaner engine over a small performance gain.

Hey, I'm not saying I'm right, but just conclusions drawn after reading many other forum posts!!

ONLY AEK User avatar

Kudos: 40
Who said that you should clean your filter and put it back?

This happens ONLY on performance filters because they are made from different material and thats why they perform better and Last longer
thp 156 with 268hp!!!!!!!!

Post Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:26 am
tianorth User avatar

Kudos: 295
I think the OP was also making that statement about performance filters.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Tia2 is a 2013 RCZ Magnetic in Black with a 2litre diesel engine
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights, quad exhaust tips
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights
Both have dash cams front and back

Post Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:33 am
2retro User avatar

Kudos: 376
K&N recommend 'removing, cleaning and re-oiling every 50000 miles' but, really, who does that?! lol

Post Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:41 am
ONLY AEK User avatar

I think that wilco does not have a performance filter
Bosch isnt one for sure
And said that it is better to Change the filter than cleaning it

As for performance one We are All saying the same thing here

Post Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:45 am
ONLY AEK User avatar

Ok now i read it again i understood what he ment

My mistake

Post Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:19 am
Wilco Regular
Regular

ONLY AEK wrote:
Ok now i read it again i understood what he ment

My mistake

No worries - I could have been clearer.

Yes, I meant putting a new 'standard' filter in reasonably regularly vs cleaning & re-using the 'performance' ones.

marinipersonal Senior Member

Kudos: 12
Performance filters don't need cleaning that often. Even if you replace after, let's say 50k miles, they'll work out cheaper than replacing at least 3 times for some bosch filter. The vantage is the fact you can sell it later. Always sold mine after changing cars.
Nope, they'll allow more air, but not much dirty. Easier to get dirty going through a clogged normal filter than a performance filter. The material filters better.

RCZIain Senior Member

Kudos: 46
Only issue with these "performance" filters is the oil can bork MAFs. My friend had it on his Volvo s60 T5. So he put a standard paper element in it.
Having said that, the MAF on the RCZ is before the filter from what I've seen so this shouldn't be a problem.
2011 RCZ GT 200. Shark grey :)

DRTDVL Senior Member

Kudos: 42
2retro wrote:
K&N recommend 'removing, cleaning and re-oiling every 50000 miles' but, really, who does that?! lol
I do the one on my Volvo v50 t5 every service (like all my previous cars) which is about every 10,000km... Is saying that I have 3 pod filters for the race car and clean / swap them over ever event.

I will grab a piper cross or k&n for the rcz soon as it's just easier.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Return to General Technical