Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion General Technical Help Economy mode

Help Economy mode

Anything about the RCZ that doesn't belong in the forums below including Service & warranty questions

Post Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:01 am
Scooby0509 Member

Kudos: 1
Had my car in for some body repairs had no battery power when I collected, says economy mode, have tried to jumpstart still saying same any ideas ? The guy said he had on charge before collecting.

Post Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:24 am
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 1127
The RCZ goes into economy mode to protect important systems. It simply means that the battery does not have the correct amount of charge in it. Anyone who has tried listening to their music system after turning the car off will have encountered economy mode.

Try putting the battery on a good charger for several hours. Once there is sufficient power for the car to come out of economy mode, take the car for a good run, this should ensure that the battery is fully charged.

It is possible to damage a battery beyond recovery if it is left with no charge for too long. This is especially the case for old batteries. In these circumstances , the only solution would be to replace the battery.
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:23 pm
ianGT156 User avatar

Kudos: 41

Hi Pete,

"The RCZ goes into economy mode to protect important systems. It simply means that the battery does not have the correct amount of charge in it. Anyone who has tried listening to their music system after turning the car off will have encountered economy mode."

Are you sure about this? My car has done this since day one of my ownership. I've come to the conclusion that it would do it with a brand new battery. I haven't timed it yet but I'm sure the ECU does this at an exact time interval regardless of the battery state.

I usually arrive at work fifteen minutes early. I do so just in case of bad traffic and to guarantee myself a parking space. I have never been late. I sit in my car and listen to the news until I go into work. It is a pain in the posterior area when the radio goes into "Economy Mode" and shuts down the ICE.

To get around it, I just restart the engine and immediately turn it off. This seems ridiculous. As others have pointed out, it's completely illogical. What does "Economy" mean?

I have wondered that this might be a simple on/off binary switch in the ECU. If the ECU can be completely remapped for engine performance, then surely it can be reprogrammed to turn off this ridiculous "Economy Mode"? Maybe you can use your own OBD thingumajig doodah to do this?

I'll contribute £10 to a startup that can do this. Just so long as I get a 500% return on investment.

Ian :eusa-think:
RCZ 156 GT Mercury Grey 2013 £9960 - Now named Rozie!
Remap to 181.9hp and 300.7 Nm £354.
Private Plate RCZ 2820 (£365)
Cleaning Kit Bits (£400+)
Recaro Car Seat Protector £22.50 (for the dog)
Photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... 2741446218

Post Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:45 am
RCZIain Moderator

Kudos: 204
It will eventually do it even with a new battery.
Older batteries will make it shut down quicker.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk
Not a Peugeot anymore, after god knows how many years. I now drive a 2013 Toyota GT86, called Steven.

Post Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:37 am
ianGT156 User avatar

Thanks Iain,

I'll have to dig out my super dooper CTEK battery charger. It wasn't cheap but it saved me having to buy a new battery for my old Skoda Octavia. The battery never had a fault again after using the charger.

:clap: :clap:

Post Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:50 pm
ianGT156 User avatar

I used my CTEK battery charger. The full cycle takes 17 hours.

Lo and behold, the dreaded economy mode has dramatically improved. Yesterday morning I was sitting in my car with the ignition off and listening to the radio. It was on for twenty minutes without a problem before I switched it off manually. Prior duration was approximately three to four minutes before "Economy mode" kicked in.

I have a suspicion that my car was off the road for two or three months before I bought it. The battery just needed "reconditioning". I can't recommend CTEK battery chargers enough.

My car is three years seven months old and has done approx 34700 miles.

Addendum. I've bought some winter tyres which will be fitted in a day or two by the local tyre/exhaust dealer. I'm really hoping that I don't have a TPMS disaster, I don't even know if it's fitted. Fingers crossed :roll:

Post Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:35 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

Kudos: 617
Interesting Ian,

hope it sorts out your problem,

with reference to the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System - see I was paying attention !

if you press the check button which also doubles up as the trip reset button, it cycles through your system and should show the tyres within that.

I know it's only vaguely relevant, but I remember putting a spare in the boot and the car was detecting a flat tyre, it fooled me the first time after checking all the tyres on each corner, it was the dammed spare !
Now this wouldn't have normally happened because they need setting up on the car system, but this was off the front originally so was already mated to the car !

I agree though about the economy mode issue, all three of my Z's has done this and when I got them they were only two years old, I have not replaced a battery on the Z's yet. It is a pain but better than being stranded I guess. I might do some testing with the voltages to see if it switches off when it reaches a certain voltage or whether it is time related ?

:beer:
:lol: Laugh and the whole world laughs with you.... or is that at you? :eusa-think:

Former owner of Dolphin Blue GT200 fully loaded inc. Quads / Xenons.
Now on second white* R
currently sporting an Avery
Roaring Thunder Gloss flip colour wrap.

Post Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:24 am
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 1127
There was a post some time ago, which I can’t find now, in which several members gave differing times for economy mode to kick in.
This would suggest it is a voltage related event, rather than timed. :eusa-think:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:50 pm
howardf Senior Member

Kudos: 66
ianGT156 wrote:
I used my CTEK battery charger. The full cycle takes 17 hours.:

Which model CTEK charger do you have / recommend?
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red
Nav Pack, Black Pack, Vision Pack
Front & Rear sensors
19" Black Onyx Solstice
Simple Black Leather interior Heated Seats

Post Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:42 pm
ianGT156 User avatar

Thanks for the replies chaps,

Howard, my charger is the CTEK MXS 3.6 It looks like the version number might be related to the amperage of the charger.

I'm not certain when I bought mine but it was probably about 2011. It would appear that the latest iteration is an MXS 7.0 There is also an MXS 10 but that is for "Workshops".

Mine reviewed by AutoExpress: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessorie ... ger-review

And the CTEK website:- http://www.ctek.com/products?category=3 ... 684196d572

It's official, I live very close to the snowiest place in England. The nearest MET Office weather station, Copley, is 12 miles away, it is at the same altitude as us at 1000 feet.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor ... s-13860988

Mick My winter tyres arrived yesterday and were fitted today. I have never bought used tyres before and I am rather ashamed to admit that I bought four part worn tyres. They are Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D. £209 for four. The knowledgeable chap in charge at the tyre shop gave me a mini lecture about buying used tyres. I was cringing and saying "I know, I know" all the time. They are very local and have been the only tyre supplier I have ever used in fourteen years. They charged me £12 per tyre for swapping them over, which I thought was very reasonable. But I should really have spent £670 instead and have them fitted for free :crazy:

There were no TPMS issues at all after fitting. I did try that trip/000 button, aka "Display management button" in the manual. It does absolutely nothing other than reset the trip odometer to zero. Does my ECU have a fault perhaps, or maybe my remap buggered it?

I haven't tried my "new" tyres yet, that will be on Friday. The indicated external temperature today was 8° so I swapped my tyres over too early, should have waited for 7° :eusa-think:

The Mrs spotted a black RCZ today in Tow Law, while I was parking. Apparently the male driver was looking at our car as he passed us in the opposite direction, I damn well missed him to wave at, curses! It would have been my first time. I also spotted a white one parked up in Darlington on Sunday. This car is becoming just a bit too common for my liking, about five in three months!

Post Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:39 am
Plecodoras User avatar

Kudos: 617
The Mrs spotted a black RCZ today in Tow Law, while I was parking. Apparently the male driver was looking at our car as he passed us in the opposite direction, I damn well missed him to wave at, curses! It would have been my first time. I also spotted a white one parked up in Darlington on Sunday. This car is becoming just a bit too common for my liking, about five in three months!

:thumbup:

Yeah I know what you mean !!

I have seen a few here and there but none have waved or flashed !!

I drove all the way down England then across to Austria - never saw one, but when I woke up in the morning there was 12 of the bloody things in the car park !!! LOL

I cannot remember the sequence for the "check" button - I will have to sit in the car again - it's getting repetitive or addictive ha ha, and see if I can work it out, will report back result.

Good luck with the tyres. I know what you mean about the tyres, it was akin to the sales pitch I got both times when buying the R :sleeping-yellow: from the sales guy, in the end I had to put him right, then I think he was :sleeping-yellow: before I finished !!
Sounds like you are pretty high up - would have been ideal for one of my previous hobbies - Amateur Radio - I am a licenced A operator ........ :sleeping-yellow: Ha ha ok !

Cheers n Beers
:lol: Laugh and the whole world laughs with you.... or is that at you? :eusa-think:

Former owner of Dolphin Blue GT200 fully loaded inc. Quads / Xenons.
Now on second white* R
currently sporting an Avery
Roaring Thunder Gloss flip colour wrap.

Return to General Technical