Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion General Technical Auxiliary Drive Belt - Advice

Auxiliary Drive Belt - Advice

Anything about the RCZ that doesn't belong in the forums below including Service & warranty questions

Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:00 pm
jstapleford Newbie

Kudos: 0
Hi,

Just had the RCZ in for the 3rd annual service and MOT at Robins & Day Peugeot Bristol, all was fine apart from the Auxiliary Drive Belt. I was informed that its frayed and needed replacement. £60+VAT+fitting that must be over £100 from the Peugeot Stealer.

Considering the cars is just 3 years old and only covered 27,000 miles I asked if this was covered by the extended warranty, the response was its a consumable item "Sir" so not covered by any warranty. I agreed its a consumable but as its lasted such a short amount of time it must have been a manufacturing fault from new. The service desk pondered a while and decided they could make a "good will" warranty claim but wasn't sure if Peugeot would pay, they couldn't say how the car had been driven in 3 years as this could have shortened the belts life.

Questions, How long do these belts last? I haven't had to change a Aux belt on a car before and defiantly not on a 3 year old car and can my driving style damaged the belt?

Have any of you had similar problems or should I push the dealer for a free fix under warranty?

Cheers

Jeff

Dolphin Blue 200 THP

Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:33 pm
drdino Senior Member

Kudos: 21
Have you actually seen the belt?

3 years does sound below average.

Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:13 pm
jstapleford Newbie

Not looked at the belt I will, I am wondering if the dealer is trying it on, it's the wife's car and she's took it to the garage. Female easy touch...It's the first time we have used this dealer it's more convenient than the Stroud dealership. I guess no one else's has had a belt fray at 27k? These belts must last longer than that. £100 every 3 years seems wrong, if they wear that quickly it should be replaced as part of the regular service intervals. The dealership never rings back ether I haved called them twice now for an update the person dealing with it is busy. Maybe we should avoid that dealership in future.

Jeff

Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:01 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 1133
Mine is going in for its 3rd service next week (along with its 1st mot) it's done just over 26k so let's see if my dealer comes up with any "extras" that need fixing. I am on a service plan, but they have already told me it needs an engine flush that isn't covered under the service plan, so that's an extra £40.
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:03 pm
drdino Senior Member

Kudos: 21
The aux drive belt on my THP 200 308 needed to be replaced at the 5 year mark. It wasn't frayed, but a bit cracked on the inside tracks. Mileage when it was replaced was below 30k. However, belts are replaced on a mileage or time basis, whichever comes first. 3 years is not what I would expect though.

The part itself is very cheap, I bought mine for £12, that's for a Gates part.

Post Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:26 pm
jstapleford Newbie

Robins and Day haven't called back, the wife has been working away with the car but shes back so I can look at the belt tonight.
Does anyone know if fitting a non Peugeot part will invalidate the extended warranty? I would rather get it done at the local garage for half the price of the dealer.

Cant really rate this dealer, they seem a bit absentminded. I am just glad its something relatively simple.

Post Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:03 pm
tianorth User avatar

Kudos: 372
Have you told them you are on the forum?
As I've been using them recently as I work at Airbus.
Every time I go in the service manager pops out to say hello!
Tia2 is a 2013 RCZ Magnetic in Black with a 2litre diesel engine
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights, quad exhaust tips
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights
Both have dash cams front and back

Post Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:50 pm
renegade79 User avatar

Kudos: 373
I'll bet you know his name too :lol: - never a good thing when you know your service managers first name straight off :eusa-whistle:
308GTi THP270 in magnetic blue

RCZ gone but not forgotten

Post Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:57 pm
tianorth User avatar

Phil.......do you know what, tried to fob me off but realised it wouldn't work as I kept going back, but he is still trying to resolve the squeaking drivers seat, going back this Monday!
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp

Post Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:05 am
thornebt User avatar

Kudos: 16
I was told on an MOT at Peugeot that they noticed that the auxilary belt was near the end of its life but it could wait until the next service which was due shortly after. When they did the service they didn't even mention it! I don't think there's anything wrong with it from what I can see. My RCZ has done about 45k.

Post Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:49 am
jstapleford Newbie

I was still waiting for call back since the initial service(Aux Belt), we had given up on that dealership.

Then noticed the clock wasn't in sync with the radio News broadcast I was sure its should get a time update from the Sat Nav. Switched the display to Sat Nav no active satellites. After a bit of fiddling I was unable to get it working, its not worked since the Service. I didnt twig but when the car was returned the Bluetooth history has gone I had to pair the phones back to the car.

Called Days again, its on speed dial now. Apparently its nothing to do with the service they dont touch the Sat Nav. Even though it was working when it was dropped off and is not now. Odd mystery.

After exchanging strong words with the Service Rep about the really very poor service he informed me that Peugeot had authorized the Aux belt it should have lasted more than 3 years, 40K after all. But they hadn't to call me back with the good news. Seems they had lost the Landline and both our mobile numbers. Even though they ask for a contact number each time you call and its recorded on the service document. Another mystery That just made my blood boil!

After the total and utter mess up on there part a decided it was time to escalate to management, but apparently all senior managers had left the building (with Elvis) and do so at 4:30 everyday. Good work if you can get it.

After a lot of pushing I managed to get the car in the garage the next day for them to fix the Sat Nav they damaged. Blood from a stone. We wanted to tale the car on Holiday at the weekend and really needed the Sat Nav.

I requested call back from the dealer principle as it correct course of actions before complaining to Peugeot, guess what promised a call at 10:30 - 11:00 no call, the service manager did call but he wasnt the dealer principle he was the Service Manager. I was confused.

I said to the garage DO NOT do anything else to the car apart from fix the Sat Nav, I requested the Warranty claim be transferred to the Stroud Dealership. Cant do that Sir you need to take the car to them to access the problem and they make a new claim. I will take this up with Peugeot directly. Thats just stupid. It needs to be replaced not sure it matter which dealership does the work.

Now I really like the RCZ its a great car its a real pleasure to be in and really wanted to change Mazda 3 MPS for a 308 GTI 270 but after this I am not sure. These guys are really damaging the Peugeot brand.

Post Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:07 pm
highlander64 User avatar

Kudos: 6
Mine has just been changed on my service for the first time and I have done 61000

Post Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:31 pm
jstapleford Newbie

The Sat Nav has just been fixed, apparently an unexplained power disruption that didn't happen during the service but happen while the car was at the Dealership. Thanks Oliver

I managed to get in contact with the General Manager (Simon Evans) at Robins and Days Bristol, tip is to go via Peugeot customer complaints, they call get patched through and just link you and the Dealer Principle ;) He was completely unaware of the situation even though he was supposed to be calling me a 10:30 today. I suspect that the management are hiding a whole world of pain from the boss. The General Manager seemed on the ball.

The General Manager is going to have a drains up regarding working practices and customer service, he knew what good should look like.

WARNING at all cost avoid this garage. if you have the misfortune go via Peugeot Customer service, Simon Evans answers the phone to them. "Carry on Peugeot"

Post Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:54 pm
tianorth User avatar

tianorth wrote:
Phil.......do you know what, tried to fob me off but realised it wouldn't work as I kept going back, but he is still trying to resolve the squeaking drivers seat, going back this Monday!

This is the Cribbs Causeway dealership I referred to in an earlier post!

Is your the city centre one?

Post Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:52 pm
jstapleford Newbie

City Center (Temple Gate), not used the one at Cribbs we will be going back to Olympic Cars Stroud. Small Family owned Dealership which do services on a Saturday morning if booked.

Post Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:18 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 1133
Result of my recent 3rd service, MOT & safety check - auxiliary belt was fine, or at least they said they had checked it, but then they couldn't find the two problems that I was having, so I don't exactly accept anything they say as gospel. :eusa-think:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Return to General Technical