Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion General Technical Engine warning light

Engine warning light

Anything about the RCZ that doesn't belong in the forums below including Service & warranty questions

Post Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:09 pm
Pwh 2 Regular
Regular

Kudos: 1
Hi to all... Need some advice pls. Just picked up 2010 mdl yr Rcz Gt sport 200. 18k mls.
Car ran OK till we joined motorway and as soon as I accelerated to joint traffic "Bong" engine warning repair required. Check the obd codes nothing logged.
Ran again last night and as soon as it's put under load bing... Same fault.....
Any ideas what could be wrong..
Thanks
PAUL

Post Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:03 pm
tianorth User avatar

Kudos: 372
Is there a rattle from engine (drivers side)?

If yes then it could be timing chain stretch which is a known problem.

If you have just picked it up the garage you bought from has a care of duty for products sold.

I have the diesel so not too sure about petrol ones, but do a search on here for timing chain.

Also pop over to introductions and say hi, we are a friendly bunch. Plus lots if other things going on, on the forum like meeting up etc.
Tia2 is a 2013 RCZ Magnetic in Black with a 2litre diesel engine
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights, quad exhaust tips
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights
Both have dash cams front and back

Post Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:41 am
Pwh 2 Regular
Regular

Thanks for the heads up...
Here's the update...
Took the car into a Peugeot main dealer yesterday to have it checked.... They discovered the problem was far too much oil in the engine...
Seems the branch we bought it from.. Not a Peugeot dealer tried to service the car and over filled it...
Car is now fixed and set up as per Peugeot spec..
Running really well.... We shall see.....!!!

Post Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:51 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 1133
The dreaded dipstick strikes again :o

Don't forget, we love pics on here, glad it's sorted :thumbup:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:21 pm
rcz200it Regular
Regular

Kudos: 2
Watch out i have had it twice, engine coils

Post Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:23 pm
biggsie Newbie

Kudos: 0
rcz200it wrote:
Watch out i have had it twice, engine coils

Coil once. But also water pump replaced. Air con compressor replaced. Heater matrix replaced. Eye level brake light replaced. 5 things in total on a 20,000 mile RCZ 200 GT in 11 months. Year 2011 model. Really happy bunny me.

Post Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:13 pm
Pwh 2 Regular
Regular

Update...Thanks for all your inputs
Much appreciated... Car is running really well and my wife is chuffed to bits with it so that's my life easier... She changed from a well spec mini cooper S... So time will tell how the Rcz does...it's a tad compact for a big guy but fun to drive once you get in...not so much fun getting back out...hippo and shoebox...!! I'm being pressured to use it for our holiday to France this year 15 HR drive... Hmmmm not sure...! Can sat nav be fitted or is it best to stick a Tom Tom in..???

Post Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:34 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

It is possible to fit a SatNav viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9325 :crazy:

But I think your best sticking with the TomTom. :eusa-think:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:45 am
Pwh 2 Regular
Regular

Thanks for the link re sat nav...
Tom Tom is the way forward.. Lol

Post Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:19 am
Pwh 2 Regular
Regular

Well that didn't last long...
The engine fault came back yesterday the day before our planned holiday.
Car taken back to main Peugeot dealer as before..Nothing to do with oil..seems it's actually a turbo fault,seems it's electrical though as the turbo kickes out if you accelerate hard.. Warning light comes on.. But stop turn off and on again it resets and will stay off until you put it under load again..
Tried 3 main dealers here all fully booked for at least 3 days...hmmm
Not good. Dealer has offered a Golf Gti as a loan car for our holiday.
We have had this RCZ 3 weeks, so far it's broken down 3 times... Engine fault,new battery,another engine fault... Not a happy rabbit now..
I have the option to hand it back but it's a really nice looking motor just not screwed together as well a Vw Audi... Any suggestions appreciated...

Post Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:38 am
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 550
Hi, sorry to hear about your problems, I've had my Z for over 2 years now and other than the timing chain/ tensioner problem that most mk1 cars suffer with I've been trouble free (touch wood!) I know there's nothing worse than an unreliable car that you can't trust it to get you to where your going but at the end of the day all car manufacturers have problematic vehicles Audi and VW included! A mate of mine had 2 £40K Audi's that both "blew up" in a matter of a couple of thousand miles!
Having a good dealer with loads of experience makes a load of difference as long as they sort problems as they arise rather than making an educated guess and changing parts till they get the right one!

Hope you get sorted and you can get on and enjoy your beautiful motor :beer:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:40 am
DKZ5745 User avatar

As we have said before, reading this forum would lead you to believe that all RCZ's fall apart as soon as you get in the drivers seat, but of course, we tend to only hear about the problems.

I also have owned mine for 2 years, and other than the odd minor warranty job, it's been the best, by far, the best car I have ever owned.

I am not a Peugeot fan generally, I have had 2 Peugeots previously, 309 & 405. Both were "OK" had a few problems, but were older cars, so not unexpected.

I have owned Audi, Ford, etc etc, and they have all had problems (the Audi was probably actually one of the worst for reliability) so I think it's fair to say every car is different.

I doubt that your car has major incurable issues, it's more likely one of those, as soon as it's diagnosed correctly it will be easily sorted, type of things.

I do realise that doesn't really make your situation any better, and, it might be worth handing it back while you can, and sourcing another RCZ elsewhere. You won't have the same issues with another Z, or certainly statistically it is very unlikely anyway.

I do hope the problems are resolved soon (if you do decide to keep it) and I'm sure once it's sorted it will be the amazing car that Z's are.

Keep us informed, as every fault that is sorted might help someone in the future that has been as unfortunate as you have.
Last edited by DKZ5745 on Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:32 pm
Pwh 2 Regular
Regular

Thanks for all the kind words of support...much appreciated.
We are on holiday now with the loan golf Gt tdi... Lovely wee car very quick and loads of fancy toys, touch screen... Did 57mpg over a 900 mile drive. So I asked my wife what did she think would she like that instead of the Rcz...
" oh I don't thinks so... It's not got the pretty back lights and the batmobile roof... " I give in...!!!

Return to General Technical