Board index Peugeot RCZ RCZ Tuning & Modifying Forum Discoloured arches - wrap advice

Discoloured arches - wrap advice

Remaps, Bodykits, Alloys, Springs, In Car Entertainment

Post Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:43 pm
Philip968 Newbie

Kudos: 0
I own a RCZ R in black with black plastic arches - the arches have unfortunately discoloured and they look terrible - it's out of warranty so the manufacturer won't do anything about it.

I was hoping to get them wrapped but the first person I spoke to said that vinyl won't stick to non-painted surfaces i.e. plastic arches so this is a non-starter.

Can anyone advise if they have done this please?
Last edited by Philip968 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:38 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 1130
You could try Topaz polish by Autosmart. If you use a soft nail brush to get into the grain, and even a soft shoe brush to bring the polish back out, finish with a soft microfibre cloth and the discolouration should go.

A lot cheaper than trying to wrap them.
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:03 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

Kudos: 631
I have a RCZ R and I have had none metallic parts painted. As DKZ will tell you, there are plenty of the panels on the RCZ which are plastic composite rather than tin plate, if it won't stick how do you answer this....

Notice the grill, no more silver grills they are wrapped black, not the best to show that but you get the picture !

Good Luck in whatever you do. M. :beer:
:lol: Laugh and the whole world laughs with you.... or is that at you? :eusa-think:

Former owner of Dolphin Blue GT200 fully loaded inc. Quads / Xenons.
Now on second white* R
currently sporting an Avery
Roaring Thunder Gloss flip colour wrap.

Post Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:15 am
RCZ-R User avatar

Kudos: 267
Pictures would be helpful here.

I haven't had any issue with those arches on my R. They still look like new. The only detailing I do to them is to apply some Meguiars Ultimate Black twice a year. That's it.
RCZ R in red. driven daily. and driven hard.
Dyno results here: http://www.peugeotrczforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10118

Post Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:19 pm
Philip968 Newbie

Thanks for the replies so far, I've tried polish and nothing seems to make a difference, they appear to be damaged, I would say corroded if they weren't made of plastic.

To those asking for pictures, here they are:

20180906_125908_resized (002).jpg
20180906_125908_resized (002).jpg (54.8 KiB) Viewed 472 times

20180906_125835_resized (002).jpg
20180906_125835_resized (002).jpg (29.05 KiB) Viewed 472 times

Post Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:46 pm
RCZ-R User avatar

Kudos: 267
Jeez, they look atrocious! That car was not sleeping in a garage. Now I do understand why you want them to be wrapped.
RCZ R in red. driven daily. and driven hard.
Dyno results here: http://www.peugeotrczforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10118

Post Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:00 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Hmm, that’s about as bad as I’ve seen. It’s still worth having a look at something like Topaz with a brush to see what improvement, if any, can be made, but to be honest, I doubt you will get those back looking like new :eusa-think:

Maybe someone who has used plastidip could advise if that might work ? If so that might be the best/cheapest solution.
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:05 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

If you decide to plastidip them, it’s probably worth removing them first. See viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9168&hilit=+Removal
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:57 pm
RCZ1 User avatar

Kudos: 1481
They are the worst black roof arches I’ve ever seen. Wonder what caused that ?
Mk 2 Sport 156 Moroccan Red Bespoke Nappa leather
Black Roof Arches Sports Pack Sat Nav K&N Filter Philips Diamond Vision lights

RCZ Sport 156 in Pearl White Bespoke Nappa leather interior with RCZ motif
K & N High Performance Air Filter 360/60 LED DRLs Phillips Extreme +100% Headlights Custom Car Mats

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:18 am
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 542
I wonder if someone has coated them with something and it’s that that is coming off? If not I would either have them wrapped which they will wrap or like mine are have them sprayed gloss black? Or whatever colour you fancy. I noticed in your photo you have a carbon fibre roof too that’s a £1400 option! :dance:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:16 am
Philip968 Newbie

I really wish I knew what caused it, so I could make sure it didn't happen again and warn other people not to do it either.

I'd still like to hear from someone who has had specifically "black plastic " arches wrapped as I'm being told it can't be done.

To those that have had their arches painted, were they the black plastic ones or the silver ones?

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:12 am
tianorth User avatar

Kudos: 372
That's what mine are like on my HDi, but not to the extent yours are at.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Tia2 is a 2013 RCZ Magnetic in Black with a 2litre diesel engine
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights, quad exhaust tips
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights
Both have dash cams front and back

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:44 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 542
I would have thought all the arches are made of “metal” with different finishes, there have been the standard silver polished, matte black, smoke and champagne arches so I doubt they are all made from different materials :eusa-think: I still don’t understand why people are saying you can’t wrap plastic?? Unless what they mean is because your arches are textured the texture will show through the vinyl?

Mick Plecodoras has had virtually everything wrapped on his R including loads of plastic parts.
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:42 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

The black arches are a type of plastic, I found that out when mine were removed by the C.I.D., sorry, I meant the window fitter. I did wrap my key fob, which is plastic, so I know it can be done, but over the years it started chipping away, so I peeled it off.
I doubt that arches would take the same kind of handling that a key fob does, so should last longer :eusa-think:

If you do remove them, they are very flexible so maybe it would be easier to wrap them in situ. I know silver arches have been wrapped by forum members, so maybe they can help with how they did it.
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Return to RCZ Tuning & Modifying Forum