Board index Peugeot RCZ RCZ Tuning & Modifying Forum Pipercross Filter

Pipercross Filter

Remaps, Bodykits, Alloys, Springs, In Car Entertainment

Post Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:50 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 1132
So, after years of dithering, I finally decided (out of manufacturers warranty now) to get a new panel filter. I have read so many different views on K&N vs Pipercross, my head was spinning. It seems that those who like Pipercross say they are better than K&N & those who like K&N say they are better than Pipercross.

I finally decided to get a Pipercross filter, ordered it from Fleabay, waited until Wednesday as I knew I would be out Thursday, but wanted it for the weekend, delivery stated Friday.
Got home Thursday to find a recorded delivery had been attempted and returned to central post-office, so now, I couldn't get it until Monday :crazy:

It came today, but nobody on here had advised that you had to have a degree in mechanical engineering to get the bloody lid off the air filter. :o

I don't know if I was just missing something, but, as I have posted previously, if it involves anything more than a tin of WD40 and/or a hammer, it's too technical for me.
So, the 5 minute job I had planned was running into its second hour, and I seemed to be accumulating bits from under the bonnet on the driveway.
I managed to rip the old filter to bits getting it out of a sliver of an opening I had created, but fortunately, the Pipercross was slimmer, so slid in without too much hassle. Then of course, I couldn't get the bloody lid back on :wtf:

However, what would have taken a F1 team around 3.2 seconds to do took me @ 90 minutes, and it was FINALLY COMPLETED 8-) :thumbup:

I decided to take it for a quick (literally) run to see what the fuss was all about. OMG the difference was far more than I had expected, smoother, faster, I can see this filter costing me a fortune in tyres & brake pads.

I can highly recommend, if you have a tub of swarfega handy and an entire aftnoon to spare, this is a mod worth doing.

Now I do understand that you are supposed to take this thing back out & clean it occasionally, I may have to sell the car :eusa-whistle:
Attachments
IMG_0885.JPG
IMG_0885.JPG (235.16 KiB) Viewed 5411 times
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:28 pm
Andyroo4400 User avatar

Regular
Regular

Kudos: 30
Ha,, my K&N!!!!! air filter arrived today,, was hoping to fit it yomorrow but not sure whether i need to leave a weekend free or not?? :-) Although i have the 2.0 HDI so hoping i may have spotted it in a slightly easier location :-) Either that or its hidden completely :shock: If anyone can advise please do so,, then i may sleep easy tonight :-) Good to know theres a noticeable difference though,, nice one :-)

Post Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:33 pm
ONLY AEK User avatar

Kudos: 63
90 minutes?
You should have gone to your mechanic, he probably wouldnt take any money
It is indeed Kind of difficult but you killed it
There are videos on YouTube maybe you should have checked the first
Anyway After a few Miles the difference you noticed Will probably dissapear as the bsi will read the better Flow and Will adjust everything so it can catch the same target torque (safety valve)
thp 156 with 268hp!!!!!!!!

Post Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:23 pm
2retro User avatar

Kudos: 537
I swapped mine for a K&N one a couple of years back. Don't remember it being a particularly difficult job though! Just unclip the thing and slide it off to one side, isn't it? lol

Post Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:35 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

I can do tyre pressures & washer bottle fills, everything else is above my pay level :eusa-whistle:
Last edited by DKZ5745 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:43 pm
RCZIain Moderator

Kudos: 205
I'm up for most jobs, only one I regret ever starting was changing an ABS sensor on my first 407.

Twat is not the word.

Oh and there's always the "little jobs, that take 2 minutes" where you end up breaking something.. then have to remortgage the house to go to Peugeot and buy another part.
Not a Peugeot anymore, after god knows how many years. I now drive a 2013 Toyota GT86, called Steven.

Post Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:04 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 549
I fitted a K&N filter and to be honest didn't notice any difference but my remap now there's another story! Worth every penny and more miles to the gallon to boot happy days :dance:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:50 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

Kudos: 637
I've ordered the PiperCross and should be here within a couple of days, so I'll post if I notice any difference on the R.
Then on the list is a stage one racechip +47bhp, some decals when I can decide which ones, and then when I'm ready a Tony Banks Stainless exhaust system. Then there's always that fancy full body wrap I would like. But if my misses finds out, well I was only dreaming - honest !!!
:beer:
:lol: Laugh and the whole world laughs with you.... or is that at you? :eusa-think:

Former owner of Dolphin Blue GT200 fully loaded inc. Quads / Xenons.
Now on second white* R
currently sporting an Avery
Roaring Thunder Gloss flip colour wrap.

Post Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:52 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

Okay so it's a kitchen first....... but then !!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol: Laugh and the whole world laughs with you.... or is that at you? :eusa-think:

Now on second white* R

Post Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:53 am
2retro User avatar

Kudos: 537
Plecodoras wrote:
Okay so it's a kitchen first....... but then !!!!!!!!!!!!

That sounds familiar...

Post Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:39 am
DKZ5745 User avatar

It appears we may be moving house instead :brickwall:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:45 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

Don't know which is worse - the kitchen or the move....

Yes I do, the move aaargh .....

Now on second white* R

Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:08 pm
Scotty2Hotty Regular
Regular

Kudos: 6
I was thinking about getting a new air filter but like you I was confused as to which would be best. After what you've said I'll have to pass haha. Congrats on pushing through and completing it though!

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

Post Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:56 pm
braveheart Member

Kudos: 24
neilgsxr69 wrote:
I fitted a K&N filter and to be honest didn't notice any difference but my remap now there's another story! Worth every penny and more miles to the gallon to boot happy days :dance:

Hi Neil, was wondering how much more horses u got after re-map ?

Post Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:20 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 549
Hi without actually running my car on a dyno I would only be guessing but it's supposedly up towards the 40bhp mark but it's also the extra torque which makes a big difference :thumbup:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:20 pm
braveheart Member

Kudos: 24
neilgsxr69 wrote:
Hi without actually running my car on a dyno I would only be guessing but it's supposedly up towards the 40bhp mark but it's also the extra torque which makes a big difference :thumbup:

cheerz m8 :D

Post Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:27 pm
ONLY AEK User avatar

Kudos: 63
About 190 ps you must have When you remap your ecu so Neil thats correct
thp 156 with 268hp!!!!!!!!

Post Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:36 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

Many moons ago I said I was going to do this and that ( earlier post on here ), well I've done the full body wrap which was one thing, especially since the wifey is still waiting for the kitchen finished ( note finished, I have started - LOL ).

Well after receiving this a few weeks back, today I finally went to fit it - The PiperCross air filter .

Took about ten mins mostly due to the fact I had to use a torx key instead of the ratchet, which has gone walkabout !

Will have to see if there is any difference to sound / performance etc.

As for the exhaust, changed my mind and not having a Tony Banks job, if anything it will be where Neil got his from, the guy said he can change the back box and do this and that to make it sound meatier, all in S/S and not for much dosh.

It's another job of the list....

Cheers M. :beer:

Now on second white* R

Post Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:25 am
renegade79 User avatar

Kudos: 373
Did you have to remove the maf sensor to get the old filter out? Let us know how the car feels after cause I might get one for my GTi. The air filter was tricky enough to remove on my last 208 GTi (200thp engine). The filter is positioned right under the bulkhead.
308GTi THP270 in magnetic blue

RCZ gone but not forgotten

Post Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:48 am
Plecodoras User avatar

I had to remove a sensor, don't know what it's for though.

remove 3 x T25 torx screws holding the lid of the air filter housing, loosen the jubilee clip, remove said sensor, then move hose to right and lift lid and twist in an anti-clockwise direction, this releases the lid allowing full access.

Just reverse for fitting.

probably won't be any vast improvement but we will see.

Cheers M. :beer:

Now on second white* R

Next

Return to RCZ Tuning & Modifying Forum