Board index Peugeot RCZ RCZ Tuning & Modifying Forum Aftermarket speaker install (Rear 6x9's)How to Guide

Aftermarket speaker install (Rear 6x9's)How to Guide

Remaps, Bodykits, Alloys, Springs, In Car Entertainment

Kgouloumis09 User avatar

Kudos: 19
Just recently installed new Pioneer 6x9's in the boot and couldn't find any guides online how to do this so I thought I would put up a guide to help anyone that's thinking of upgrading the speakers in the back.

Here's the new speakers next to the factory ones:

I thought the original speakers where pretty good until I installed the new pioneers,bass is a lot clearer and louder now!!!Yay!!

Factory speakers are 25w 4ohm Sonovax paper cones,new speakers 300w also 4ohm[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND COLD SWEAT]

Tools needed

Interior trim removal kit from eBay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162439497701

Spare interior trim clips in case any break when removing rear panels:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142168622037

Speaker adaptors:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181320256625

Sound deadening:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161282941044

Torx screwdriver and 10mm socket driver

Now you're all set to go but before you attempt to start taking any panels off you're gonna want to put the heating on in the car to warm up the panels to avoid breaking the flimsy clips that hold the door cards on.

So turn the heating on , go and boil the kettle while you're waiting for it to warm up,you can skip this bit if you want as we have spare clips for the ones that break(trust me they are gonna break and are fiddly to remove once stuck in the recess but it's up to you)

Cars all nice and warm so we now open the boot and pull the red leaver to fold the rear seats. (Excuse the mess in the boot, guide done in between install)

Now you are going to want to push the clips that hold the head rest in so you can just pull them up to take them off once inside the car.

One more step in the boot to do now and it's the black plastic clips to the side of the boot(clips have already been removed in this pic) Image

Now that's all done it's time to go inside the car.
Remove headrest,just pull up as we have loosened them from the boot:
Remove the leather from the side of the rear seats(leather has already been removed)

Gently pull them off and take your time in doing this,we don't want to snap anything by rushing around,all the panels when you are removing them make a creaking noise
so don't panic,it's pretty scary stuff but if you are gentle you will be fine.
Using the interior trim removal tool,pry off the small plastic pillar cover on the rear window:
Now that's off you can undo the screw that's holding the panel on:
There's another screw to remove by the seat belt clip,it's tucked right in the corner so you will need to take off the rear seats to get access,if you look closely you will see some metal that the seats sit under,pull the leather back and over these starting in the corners and work your way across the whole of the rear seats then pull up the rear seats from the front and remove.
The marks on the seats is where they sit under the metal clips,you won't see these marks once everything is put back.
Now we have room to get in the corners to undo the final screw, the rear seats are easy to remove and are held in place with two latches(one under the middle of each seat) I dint remove them on my first attempt for fear of braking anything but it should be done to make the job easier and quicker and to avoid fiddling around and lining up the panel correctly. It is also recommended to remove the seat belt clip to make lining up the speaker recess an easy job.
Loosen the roof pillar next,you won't be able to fully take it off yet we just want to loosen it for the moment for when we attempt to take the rear panel out.
Using our interior trim kit we gently pry it loose:
Lift up the plastic by the side of the door to get access so you can start to wiggle the rear panel a bit,part of the panel clips into the floor part:
We can now gently work our way round to pulling the rear panel out using our interior trim kit to pull out the panel,once this is loose enough we can completely remove the roof arch cover.
Now it should all be loose you can manoeuvre the rear panel out,it is still attached to the seatbelt so just pull on the seatbelt and manoeuvre the panel and towards the boot(saves having to completely undo these and gives us space to work)
Now you can undo the screws holding the speakers in place(I've already removed the old speakers in this pic and the screws)
Here's what they look like:

Once it's out you can undo the factory connections and take the speaker out to start modifying it for the new ones.
You can use the speaker adaptors I listed at the start of this guide so you can use the factory connections and not have to cut them,this is also a great opportunity to use sound deadening to stop the rear panels rattling.

Now we've got the speakers out we need to trim a bit off the top(well in my case we need to anyway you may not need to do this)so they sit flush with the speaker enclosure and can drill the speakers in:

And that's it,job done !!(Well,you do need to put them back in the car and put everything back but that's basically it)
Follow the steps in reverse order to put everything back together.

Expect this to take you a couple of hours to do so make sure you have plenty of time to do the job,take your time and don't rush.
On my first attempt at doing this I didn't put the screw by the seatbelt back in properly(I put the panel back behind the hole for the crew instead of over it and had to do it all over again [FACE WITH COLD SWEAT])there is also a silver clip that needs to go over the hole so make sure this is positioned correctly and you will be good to go.
I hope this guide has been helpful and hopefully this will help with upgrading your speakers.
Let me know if there is anything to add or something I have missed and I can update the post.
Would really appreciate your thoughts on this guide,it's the first time I have ever done one so it may be a bit rough around the edges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Kgouloumis09 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 1137
:text-goodpost:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

2retro User avatar

Kudos: 538
Great post - well done. :thumbup:

Don't think I'll both with all this faffing personally though...

Troiy Newbie

Kudos: 0
My chief, how deep is the space in there, I want to put this speaker but fear the magnet might be too large.
Attachments
Focal.jpg
Focal.jpg (202.88 KiB) Viewed 554 times
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (84.19 KiB) Viewed 554 times
car-audio-solutions-et-kits-car-audio-performance-expert-kits-haut-parleurs-coaxiaux-pc-710-2.jpg
car-audio-solutions-et-kits-car-audio-performance-expert-kits-haut-parleurs-coaxiaux-pc-710-2.jpg (48.63 KiB) Viewed 554 times

neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 561
Well done great job you’ve done there :clap:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Kgouloumis09 User avatar

Kudos: 19
Troiy wrote:
My chief, how deep is the space in there, I want to put this speaker but fear the magnet might be too large.

Hi,I replied to your pm before I saw your post.

These will not sit in the original Peugeot plastic bracket.

There is a lot of space in the rear quarter panel but I think you will end up needing speaker spacers with your bracket as I’m not sure of the clearance. 6x9 speakers fit fine,anything else may need modifications. Hope this helps.

Troiy Newbie

Kudos: 0
Thanks for the response.

Return to RCZ Tuning & Modifying Forum