Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Forum News, Announcements & Forum Help decoke

decoke

Peugeot RCZ Forum News, Announcements & Competitions & Help. Forum feedback, suggestions and help.

Post Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:57 pm
rennie.peter Newbie

Kudos: 0
Hi :helpme:
I am about to contact the BBC WATCHDOG team regarding the problems with the rcz requiring a decoke.
This is a known problem with this engine as I am sure you all know.

I was wondering if any members would like to put there names to a list, which I could present to them along with my own regarding the carbon build up which lets face it should not be happening to the rcz

And we can see if they can any help by getting onto Peugeot and see if something can be done about it.

As I am banging my head against a brick wall trying to get my dealer to do anything only 40000 on the clock and it needs a full decoke. been going on now for 50 days and still no progress don't think I have any option but to contact BBC WATCHDOG.
Or can someone come up with any other ideas as to address the problem as this will be an on going problem.

Thanks.
Peter Rennie.

Post Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:59 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 172
Hi Peter,
Sorry to hear your troubles with your RCZ, on the matter of the decoke situation, this problem afflicts all PSA direct injected engines which are currently fitted to BMWs mini, Citroen DS, and of course the Peugeot, the mini fraternity seem to be way ahead of the game regarding decoke. There are quite a few service centres offering a walnut decoke for around £400 this involves blasting walnut shells at the intake valve area to remove any carbon build up, this method is quick and doesn't require the removal of the cylinder head.
There is a system which the mini guys are adopting where the residue that is being recirculated to the intake area is directed instead to a catch tank and must be manually emptied.
Using high octane fuel and longer runs will also help with less carbon build up allegedly.
I don't think watchdog will entertain you to be honest worth a try but I think they will look at it as a service procedure on this type of engine.
Worth a try though, but happily I can say as yet my RCZ engine (24K miles) and my wife's Mini Cooper S (56K miles) haven't suffered from carbon build up.
Good luck hope you get sorted soon.
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:25 pm
drdino Senior Member

Kudos: 14
That's a problem of all DI engines.

Post Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:27 pm
marinipersonal Senior Member

Kudos: 12
As said before, common problem with Direct Injection Engines. Before the RCZ, I was considering a Lexus IS250. Same problem. The idea of Direct Injection is economy, but them, when using a proper fuel, like V-Power or similar, part of the benefit from the cleaning agents, are wasted, as the fuel don't access where the carbon build up. Just as advice, using better fuel grade will delay such problems, as the fuel burn more efficiently, plus the fact you get more torque available earlier, allowing earlier changes.

Post Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:49 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 815
I have used Shell Nitro V power from day 1 and I also add half a bottle of Red X Petrol treatment to every full tank. I haven't noticed any issues as yet, I'm on @36k.
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:57 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

Kudos: 150
What are the symptoms to look out for?
:lol: Laugh and the whole world laughs with you.... or is that at you? :lol:

Post Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:08 pm
RCZIain Senior Member

Kudos: 46
Plecodoras wrote:

Poor cold idle, and decreased performance from what understand.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk
2011 RCZ GT 200. Shark grey :)

Post Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:43 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

Kudos: 150
RCZIain wrote:
Plecodoras wrote:

Poor cold idle, and decreased performance from what understand.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks.

Only 5k on clock at mo but will keep using hi octane fuel and regular oil changes and see how it goes.
:lol: Laugh and the whole world laughs with you.... or is that at you? :lol:

Post Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:00 pm
Linda G Newbie

Kudos: 0
Hello Everyone

New to this site and I'm not mechanically minded. Bought my RCZ two years ago and loved the shape and performance. Within 9 months I had noticed car not pulling then one day to my embarrassment the car wouldnt go faster than 20 and I limped to a garage. Doser valve fitted for £300 9 month on again its happened again. Reading others queries is it a doser valve or is it a decoke or does this valve decoke. I cant afford £300 every 9 months. Can I use REDEX in a diesal car (dont laugh)

Linda

Post Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:25 pm
RCZIain Senior Member

Kudos: 46
Diesel redex yes.
I'm a big proponent of the Italian tune up. In other words hammering the living daylights out of it.
Especially modern diesels, with their silly emissions control equipment.
Hasn't done any of my Peugeot diesels any harm. Get it hot and kick seven bells out of it in every gear for 20 miles.

Btw, afaik the cokeing issue is on the THP not the diesel.
2011 RCZ GT 200. Shark grey :)

Post Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:14 pm
frankvdb User avatar

Kudos: 75
Linda G wrote:
Hello Everyone

New to this site and I'm not mechanically minded. Bought my RCZ two years ago and loved the shape and performance. Within 9 months I had noticed car not pulling then one day to my embarrassment the car wouldnt go faster than 20 and I limped to a garage. Doser valve fitted for £300 9 month on again its happened again. Reading others queries is it a doser valve or is it a decoke or does this valve decoke. I cant afford £300 every 9 months. Can I use REDEX in a diesal car (dont laugh)

Linda

Was there any message in the display?
The HDi has very few problems. The only common thing to go wrong in the DPF will clog if you only do short drives. You will need to take it our for a longer drive regularly and make sure that you either drive at high speed or with high revs so that the filter will be cleared.
My car history:
2010 Peugeot RCZ HDi 163hp blue tuanake full options
2001 Peugeot 307 3-door XSi HDi 110hp blue recife
1995 Peugeot 306 3-door XNd 70hp rouge analou

Post Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:20 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

RCZIain wrote:
Diesel redex yes.
I'm a big proponent of the Italian tune up. In other words hammering the living daylights out of it.
Especially modern diesels, with their silly emissions control equipment.
Hasn't done any of my Peugeot diesels any harm. Get it hot and kick seven bells out of it in every gear for 20 miles.

Btw, afaik the cokeing issue is on the THP not the diesel.

+1. But watch out for Camera Vans on Bridges :evil:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:52 am
DRTDVL Senior Member

Kudos: 42
Short slow drives are a killer for direct injection cars. You need to get everything hot and then give a good blast out every so often.

The Italian tune up...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Post Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:20 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

If they didn’t want you to use the Rev limiter, they wouldn’t have put one in there :eusa-whistle:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Return to Peugeot RCZ Forum News, Announcements & Forum Help