Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Forum News, Announcements & Forum Help timing tensioner needs replacing

timing tensioner needs replacing

Peugeot RCZ Forum News, Announcements & Competitions & Help. Forum feedback, suggestions and help.

Post Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:57 pm
tommysrcz Member

Kudos: 1
oh yes I have the dreaded Timing tensioner needs replacing!!!! been quoted about £500 .. as this is a known fault with peugeot I am going to see if I can get some good will out of peugeo. anyone else tried this . I am now sick of the rcz now though I am thinking of an Audi next not the TT sline maybe ha t

Post Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:42 am
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 204
Hi, sorry to hear your thinking of parting with your Z :cry: I had my timing chain kit changed at 17K car had run out of warranty even though the car had been serviced to Peugeots recommended schedules because the servicing had been carried out by independent garages Peugeot wouldn't even consider helping with a repair. Cost me £600 with a oil and filter change. I've just had the same job done on my wife's Mini Cooper S, (same engine) again BMW won't touch a repair unless the car is still in warranty.
Owners have to understand that this has now become a service part and at some time will require replacing once done keep the oil level topped up use the best oil available and change the oil every 6k or yearly this should give you trouble free motoring.
As for swapping to Audi a mate of mine has had two new top model cars destroy their engines in a little over 15K miles so most cars can have problems. :eusa-think:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:12 am
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 847
Sorry to hear that you are thinking of losing the best car on the road for an inferior model.

I too have heard recently of a couple of "new" Audis having serious engine problems. One lady, just round the corner from where I live, has had/is having a major battle with her dealership & Audi. She bought a new "top model" (I don't know which one) Audi A3 Near the end of last year & I have hardly seen it on her drive. It has spent the majority of time back at the dealers & she's trying to get either her money back or an exchange, but they don't want to know. She told me she is looking at going down the legal route, something like "not fit for purpose" type of thing. I think it has had various issues, all engine related.

I don't have any personal gripes with Audi, many years ago I had an Audi 80 (for those without wrinkles, it was the forerunner to the A4). I have to admit though, it did have quite a few engine problems during its time with me, including an airlock in the cooling system that ended up having half the engine replaced trying to diagnose the issue & even after all that, it was a neighbour who also had an Audi that told me what the problem was, and how to resolve it, as his car had had exactly the same problem. So much for Audi technicians. Other than that it was a nice car to drive.

I honestly don't know what car I would have if I didn't have the Z. Seriously, there isn't a car our there (that I could afford to buy & run) that I would rather have.
In the past there was talk of an Evoke, or maybe an A5 & the OH has recently been waxing lyrically about the new Toyota C-HR but I don't think the Z is going anywhere anytime soon.
Attachments
IMG_0786.JPG
IMG_0786.JPG (253.86 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:36 am
DRTDVL Senior Member

Kudos: 43
Our families had 2 new a4's (2004 and 2009) and both had to have their gearboxes replaced with less than 20k on the clock.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Post Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:04 pm
tommysrcz Member

thank you al for good comments I thought audi suppoed to be good oh dear

Post Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:55 pm
tianorth User avatar

Kudos: 319
All manufacturers have problems nowadays as they don't do testing to the full as in the olden days, probably started in the 80's or earlier.

They now expect the purchaser/driver to do their testing.

Less time testing saves £0000's get it done free also saves £0000's. Tell people "not heard of that before" even when confronted with evidence that it's happened to others.
Tia2 is a 2013 RCZ Magnetic in Black with a 2litre diesel engine
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights, quad exhaust tips
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights
Both have dash cams front and back

Post Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:21 pm
Lynnie Regular
Regular

[quote="tommysrcz"]oh yes I have the dreaded Timing tensioner needs replacing!!!! been quoted about £500 .. as this is a known fault with peugeot I am going to see if I can get some good will out of peugeo. anyone else tried this . I am now sick of the rcz now though I am thinking of an Audi next not the TT sline maybe ha t[/quote

I had the "death rattle" on my rcz and they told me the timing tensioner needed replacing but Halfords bought something else to tighten the chain and it cost £57 and it cured the rattle, so before you pay out all that money enquire what can be done before replacing the whole lot.

Post Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:23 pm
Lynnie Regular
Regular

I had the "death rattle" on my rcz and they told me the timing tensioner needed replacing but Halfords bought something else to tighten the chain and it cost £57 and it cured the rattle, so before you pay out all that money enquire what can be done before replacing the whole lot.

Post Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:26 am
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 204
Lynnie wrote:

I'm not sure what Halfords have done but if you have the timing chain rattle you need to replace the whole chain tensioner kit if it hasn't been already replaced with the updated kit. The new kit includes a slightly longer and stronger tensioner if you've still got the original tensioner then you could just fit the new one and this may delay the inevitable. The new tensioners cost about £50 and are quite easy to replace but the guides are a very weak designe made of plastic with a poor hinge designe and also most people probably don't know this but your dipstick runs through it so every time your checking your oil you are putting pressure on the guide! Just had the wife's Mini Cooper s timing chain kit changed and looked at the old parts and they are quite flimsy! Even the new parts can fail if you starve them of oil so only use top quality oil and keep a close eye on the level. The oil warning light is not a reminder to top up! :thumbup:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:11 am
tommysrcz Member

DKZ5745 wrote:
Sorry to hear that you are thinking of losing the best car on the road for an inferior model.
could not disagree more with your inferior model comment I have had 2 rcz its now time to say bye to it . everyone I talk to love the Audi A5 model better Audi better in evry way more of a mans car too . don't be biased I have loved the rcz but too m any issues now . enjoy the rcz life though I did lol
I too have heard recently of a couple of "new" Audis having serious engine problems. One lady, just round the corner from where I live, has had/is having a major battle with her dealership & Audi. She bought a new "top model" (I don't know which one) Audi A3 Near the end of last year & I have hardly seen it on her drive. It has spent the majority of time back at the dealers & she's trying to get either her money back or an exchange, but they don't want to know. She told me she is looking at going down the legal route, something like "not fit for purpose" type of thing. I think it has had various issues, all engine related.

I don't have any personal gripes with Audi, many years ago I had an Audi 80 (for those without wrinkles, it was the forerunner to the A4). I have to admit though, it did have quite a few engine problems during its time with me, including an airlock in the cooling system that ended up having half the engine replaced trying to diagnose the issue & even after all that, it was a neighbour who also had an Audi that told me what the problem was, and how to resolve it, as his car had had exactly the same problem. So much for Audi technicians. Other than that it was a nice car to drive.

I honestly don't know what car I would have if I didn't have the Z. Seriously, there isn't a car our there (that I could afford to buy & run) that I would rather have.
In the past there was talk of an Evoke, or maybe an A5 & the OH has recently been waxing lyrically about the new Toyota C-HR but I don't think the Z is going anywhere anytime soon.

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:01 am
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 847
Just to make it clear, the above "quote" from my post had this inserted, which was not written by me....

"could not disagree more with your inferior model comment I have had 2 rcz its now time to say bye to it . everyone I talk to love the Audi A5 model better Audi better in evry way more of a mans car too . don't be biased I have loved the rcz but too m any issues now . enjoy the rcz life though I did lol"

The way to quote anyone's post is to do so, then add your comments below, rather than to edit the actual quote.

I don't necessarily disagree that the Audi A5 is a nice car, I even said it was on my "to be considered" list as an eventual replacement for my Z, although with the recent introduction of the new model, it is slipping down that list.

I certainly have issues regarding the "more of a mans car" comment, as I do with the "better in every way" comment.

I don't categorise cars as "mans car" or otherwise, with the possible exception of the odd pink Nissan Sunny, neither do I think it is acceptable to make a sweeping comment such as "better in every way" regardless of the fact that the car is some £30k more expensive than the RCZ, so it really ought to be £30k better didn't it. Without going into a plethora of statistics, it's quite easy to see, having test driven an A5 rather than just talking to people then paraphrasing their opinions as my own, that the RCZ is far better at roadholding at speed than the A5 which is I would have thought one of the more important issues, rather than perhaps, how many cup holders are provided.

Of course any opinion is pure conjecture, so such a discussion could run on and on, so just to say, please don't quote me in the future after editing my post.
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:51 pm
2retro User avatar

Kudos: 387
What's the difference between an Audi and a hedgehog?

On a hedgehog the pricks are on the outside.

:eusa-whistle:

Return to Peugeot RCZ Forum News, Announcements & Forum Help